Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2008, 05:08 AM   #16
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUSKALHERRIA
Congratulations, for your first big, bike ride. Thats a serious one.

Thanks for posting.
I agree, awesome trip.

Iker - did you post up a ride report on your North Cape trip in the summer? Hope that you're well. Marcin is fine, still on crutches but making progress.

Sorry about the thread hijack.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:21 AM   #17
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Great trip you've done there, and on the first bike you've owned, very brave

Thanks for the effort you put to translate and to tell the story, keep up with the good work there.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #18
momi20 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
This kazhakstan police man just stopped me just to take a look at my motorcycle

my first night in Kazhakstan

in the kitchen women are preparing pilminizie a local dish that looks very similar to an italian dish of my city tortellini -
from Wikipedia: Tortellini is a variety of ring-shaped pasta. They are typically stuffed with a mix of meat (pork loin, prosciutto crudo and mortadella). Originally from the Italian region of Emilia (in particular Bologna and Modena), they are usually served in broth, with cream, or sometimes with a ragů. Packed, refrigerated or frozen tortellini and tortelloni (similar but larger) appear in many locations around the world, especially where Italian communities have a certain relief. Tortellini and tortelloni are made in special industrial lines supplied, all over the world, by Italian companies such as Arienti & Cattaneo, Ima, Ostoni, Zamboni, etc.; "fresh" packed tortellini have usually 7 weeks of shelf-life. Similar foods in other cultures include the Ukrainian Christmas food "vushka" (Ukrainian: вушка).

italian tortellini

Next morning, a little stop in a really little little town

a future biker ?

in the afternoon I was drinking a coffe, when suddendly a truck driver went in to the bar, asking who’s the owner of italian bike. He’s italian driver that was delivering special bullettproof glasses for a new private home of the Kazhakstan president Nazarbajev…strange, a so popular man, that normally win elections with relative majority around 90% that need of bullettproof glasses !

I decided to do a diversion from main road M36 to reach the lake Burabai and take two days of a rest. Around this lake they are building a lot of good hotel, cause keep in mind that Kahzakstan is a very big country (9th in the world), but ther’s a lot of steppe and desert: for this people a big lake it’s something of incredible.

to sleep i read on my guide that some houses allow to put tha tent in the garden: I found a private house that rented rooms and places for the tent in the garden

I had a really hard bargaining whith the daughter of the owner about the daily rate: no discount at the end, she really still was a manager. Is the first on my motorcycle, 11 years old !

breakfast with the family

carne di cavallo e pasta fredda

the lake:

the smiling and reassuring face of the president Nazarbajev

for my last dinner on the lake I bought big shrimp in the market and I cooked myself

momi20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #19
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
Thumb

Excellent report and great pictures. Quite an adventure for your first motorbike. By the way, the town you refer to as Del Abinsk is actually Chelyabinsk, which saw a large amount of nuclear research / activity during the cold war, and the Russians were reported to have dumped all of the spent fuel and reactor parts in Lake Chelyabinsk. It has been called "step and a half lake" - as it is so radioactive that just a step and a half along its shore will give you a more than lethal dose of radiation. Hope you didn't go for a swim
www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #20
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 791
Ciao Maurizio,

what a great report and what an adventure

and on one of my favourite bikes, I have had two DR350's.

Well done,

Bob.

PS. my son (Paolo) is excited by the fact that you come from Modena as he is a big fan of Pavarotti
Old 10-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #21
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,433
WOW TOO COOOL!!!!

keep it coming!
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #22
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,473
Nice trip..... it seems like you are going very fast, are you taking big roads only?

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:21 AM   #23
momi20 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac
Nice trip..... it seems like you are going very fast, are you taking big roads only?
Yes i took most of the time big roads, M9 in Russia and M36 in Kazhakstan, but i don't get bored when i'm driving. Normally i wake up early and i drive all day long, but not fast. My speed always was around 90/95 km/h (55/59 miles/h): very quiet. But it was not difficult drive in one day for 500-600 km (310-400 miles). For me drive the motorcycle it's just fun: i don't need i-pod. Normally when i stopped for fuel, i drank or eated a little snack, but immediactly starded again.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:53 AM   #24
momi20 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Yurta

I leave the Burabai Lake and I reach the new capital of Kazhastan, Astana: sometime president like Nazarbajev are use to move the capital ( see Myanmar)

again

the sun was beginning to go down when suddendly on the right of the street I saw a camp of yurta
from wikipedia: The word yurt is originally from the Turkic word meaning "dwelling place" in the sense of "homeland"; the term came to be used in reference to the physical tent-like structures only in other languages. In Russian the structure is called "yurta" (юрта), whence the word came into English.In Kazakh (and Uyghur) the term for the structure is kiyiz üy (киізүй, lit. "felt home"). In Kyrgyz the term is boz üý (бозүй), literally "grey house", because of the colour of the felt. In Mongolian it is called a ger (гэр). Afghans call them "Kherga"/"Jirga" or "ooee". In Pakistan it is also known as gher (گھر).
I stopped my Suzuki and went in to the camp asking the permission to can take some picture. A guy with excellent english come with me, showing everything. It’s a religious ceremony: for three days a lot of family are reunited ( each family could be almost 80 – 100 people). It was Friday, first day: saturday the cerimony and Sunday horse race and wrestling match.

the little western style yurta ( they allowed me to put my tent in to the camp)

my first dinner in the yurta

they was really nice and the guy told me that if I want I could rest for the weekend as guest of his family: I accepted immediately. What a chance to can stay with nomad people. Obvius not all are nomads: most of them live in city and they are in this camp just for the weekend: Sunday at the end all the yurta will be remove
The second day

the ceremony

Old 10-07-2008, 01:36 AM   #25
Damir
AKA Pudla

Oddometer: 379
Fantastic ride!

Tunisia ride report

Ukraine, Russia and Romania

Croatian Backroads
Damir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #26
momi20 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In the afternoon I decided to go with my DR to fill up my tank.

every day a different yurta ( of the same family) was giving to me ospitality for breakfast, lunch or dinner

it was Saturday and so..let’s dance, using car radio

these two guys are a really good singer

Sunday was the day of wrestling and horses race. In the morning there are show of traditional singers: everybody was laughing, but I couldn’t understand nothing.

The wrestling match are in Sambo style – from Wikipedia: Sambo (Russian: самбо—also called Sombo or Cambo and sometimes written in all-caps) is a modern martial art, combat sport and self-defense system developed in the Soviet Union and recognized as an official sport by the USSR All-Union Sports Committee in 1938, presented by Anatoly Kharlampiev. The word Cambo(Sambo) is an acronym of САМозащитаБезОружия (SAMozashchita Bez Oruzhiya) meaning "self-defense without weapons" in Russian.

this man arrived at the camp after a run of 120 km ( 75 miles) is a professional runner

the horse is one of the symbol of Kazhakstan

the horse race a circular track in steppe 4 km (2,5 miles) to do for 6 time

last dinner and another traditional custom but this time the family decided to give to me as a present

for the last night there was a show, with music and singers on the stage

This day I had a big problem due to the wind. In the afternoon it was so strong that I couldn’t drive more than 60 km/h ( 37 miles/h). Once I had to stop to drive, like trucks

I decided to sleep in this little city

rice and fish in the hotel kitchen, it’s one of my delicatessen

I bought the tin can of fish in a little shop, in that this girl speaks a very good english. She was in holiday and helping her cousin working in the shop: 10-12 hour a day !

the cousin

the city, nothing particular, just a normal and wonderful little city of Kazhakstan

Old 10-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #27
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,473
It seems like you are really blending in with locals... fantastic ride, keep going

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #28
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,688
Great story!

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #29
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
You said the ceremony was religious. This seems to be the focal point. What does it mean?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #30
pstgni62
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Thumb

APRILIA-etv1000-CAPONORD
pstgni62 is offline   Reply With Quote