Oddometer: 1,084
This is priceless!

Really enjoying this. Keep going!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #63
snowbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Still a great report!

Just got back to reading this .... still an excellent report.

Thanks for the reply on how you've solved the map reading and language barriers.

I've really enjoyed the whole story, especially the pictures of all the friendly people you've met, and of the culture in the countries you travelled through.

Thanks again!

rw
snowbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #64
motorrider
Ride as much as you can!

Oddometer: 81
Great report, thank you for posting.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #65
biketherapy
si se puede

Oddometer: 505
excellent report!!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #66
Incredulous
Peanut Gallery

Oddometer: 568
Really enjoying this report. You are a true adventurer sir.
Incredulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #67
baz666
road rat rides again

Oddometer: 10
Thumb

Beautiful pictures of a great adventure. Excellent choice of bike too.
Easy to ride, easy to fix on the road.
More pictures Momi!
baz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:47 AM   #68
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Wow! I am humbled. Truly inspirational--thank you.
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #69
momi20 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Buhara

Around 2,00 pm and with 42°C ( 107,60 °F), but well ventilated I begin my tourist tour

The madrasa of Nadir Divanbegi – (from Wikipedia: Madrasah (Arabic: مدرسة, madrasa pl.مدارس, madāris) is the Arabic word for any type of school, college or university, whether secular or religious (of any religion). It is variously transliterated as madrasah, madarasaa, medresa, madrassa, madraza, madarsa, etc.)

the madrasa of geese

this is one of the most newest motorcycle I have seen

A caravanserai - (from wikipedia(Persian: كاروانسراkārvānsarā, Turkish kervansaray) was a roadside inn where travelers could rest and recover from the day's journey. Caravanserais supported the flow of commerce, information, and people across the network of trade routes covering Asia, North Africa, and South-Eastern Europe.Most typically it was a building with a square or rectangular walled exterior, with a single portal wide enough to permit large or heavily laden beasts such as camels to enter.

madrasa of Ulughbek

porcelains of Buhara: are they famous ? I don’t know, but I have forgotten to take pictures of carpets: sorry.

after I arrive to the square with the famous Kalon minaret ( from wikipedia - Minarets (Arabic manara (lighthouse) منارة, but more usually مئذنة) are distinctive architectural features of Islamicmosques. Minarets are generally tall spires with onion-shaped crowns, usually either free standing or much taller than any surrounding support structure.)
The minaret is 47 mt high ( 154 foot) and dates back to 1127 dC at he time was the most high building of Central Asia. This square in my opinion is a magic and relaxing places. I stayed in the city for three days and every evening I was there, observing the change of the colours . Simply magic !
Watching the minaret on the left there is the mosque Kalon and on the right the Madrasa Mir-I-Arab, actually a kind of muslim university…really hard: humanistic and scientific subjects
the minaret

the madrasa

the mosque

I went inside and up to the top of minaret

after I went down and sitting on the steps of the mosque I was watching how the colours are changing . Here I met a really interesting man: Roustan. He is a former colonel of USSR army. He was an interpreter: very good english. During his military career I was got involved in a lot of wars: Afghanistan, Africa (somewhere) etc.. at the moment he is working both uzbekistan and russian army as translator and english teacher. He was really disappointed due to the western television programme. He told me that Asian countries like Uzbekistan, Kazahkstan etc… always are showed like full of terrorists, robbers and so on. I could understand him: it was my same feeling when everybody was talking with me about Mafia and Sicilia cause the italian fiction Octopus (La Piovra) is a smash hits in this countries.

the main character, actor Michele Placido, the police commissioner Cattani

I’m not a really good photographer, especially at night, aniway…

around 10 pm I was at my hotel: right in front I had dinner in a little restaurant . Just a soup and same bread : the kitchen was closed.

momi20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:07 AM   #70
Aidan1150
Call Me The Breeze

Oddometer: 271
Bravo Maurizio.

A great report.

For many years I drove trucks from Ireland to Italy and was often taking ceramica from Modena back to Ireland. I know quite well the area around Vignola, Sassoulo, Scandiano, Casalgrande and Maranello. I used to go to the Centro Dogana at Campogalliano to park my truck and have food.

Giants fan? I like the Colts.

From Sea to Shining Sea. A four week US coast to coast ride in June/July 2010. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=shining

Don't speak unless you can improve on the silence.
Aidan1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #71
edkuh
adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Thumb Complimenti Maurizio !!

complimentoni! Great trip and report...Go on !!

Edoardo
edkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #72
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,866
That Jawa motorcycle has the same ass end found on contemporary Triumph motorcycles.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #73
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Amazing Keeping it coming.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:47 AM   #74
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
I'm loving this report, keep it coming.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:52 AM   #75
momi20 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Second day in Buhara

Wake up really early on the second day: 06,00 am. I like to go to the bazar when it’s starting from my hotel are about 4 km ( 2,5 miles).

the bazar

bright and early the bazar is full of people that are selling merchandise but without regular permission: they are squatting the bazar land. Obviously is a “gentlemen agreement” between these people and the policemen that are in the bazar. Around 08,30 am they have to leave. But in this first hours bargaining are really excited. Most of these sellers are people from country: they arrive at bazar with own products.

this picture remember to me one of the most funniest moment of my vacation. You can see a woman with green dress. She was selling onions or potatoes to the old man with bicycle. The old man was contesting the weight of the vegetables. You can notice that woman has in her right hand a balance. The woman had showed several time the weight to the old men, but suddenly he took-out from the jacket his own balance, weighing the vegetables by himself ! The woman gives up and put some extra vegetables in the bag of the old man.

around 10.00 am I head for the university…5 km (3 miles)

the university was full of people: results of exam come out.

sono andato a fare un giretto dentro, giusto per vedere un’aula

televison !

after a lunch with the men of the family in the motel ( no permission to take pictures, just food ) I moved around the city by motorcycle

5.00 pm i’m in my favourite place: the minaret square

there are few people and tourists and I had to plane my come back to Tashkent: the kid was really interested to the map

this is Samira. She was selling watercolours but she was able to find time to give me a russian lesson: mother, wife, brother etc…in exchange I lended my italian – russian phrasebook

after came Rustan: some chat and I meet three guys. Bikers from Tashkent. One of them was Turkish: 6 month around Asia, by himself ! Dinner at my favourite restourant

this bunch of taxi driver had invited me to their table…vodka, vodka and some joint (not me). At the end it was midnight

momi20 is offline   Reply With Quote