Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #31
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
hmmm, well my wife isn't interested in learning to ride nor does she want to ride pillion (some guy scared the heck out of her long before we met; mind you we'd been together for 18 years when I took up riding). She encourages me to go out and ride / travel with friends. We both have our own hobbies that keep us going, but I'm sure it would be lots of fun to take her on a tour. Having said all that, returning home safely from a ride is always cause to celebrate!!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #32
Dirtgeek

Oddometer: n/a
my wife does not care for two up either. she insist i ride my own bike.

al
Old 10-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #33
nostatic
i drank what?!?

Oddometer: 409
Because my g/f looks badass in gear. She's never ridden (though she wants to take the MSF), and if she got on a bike and we rode that way we'd be pretty limited in terrain, mileage, etc. She loves being on the back as she doesn't have to worry about the details and can just enjoy the ride.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #34
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,700

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic

She loves being on the back as she doesn't have to worry about the details and can just enjoy the ride.
We likes Stunt Road.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #35
NJ-GS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Tedious, mindless conversation not required...nor possible.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #36
nostatic
i drank what?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

We likes Stunt Road.
Was introducted to Stunt (and the rest) by some Porsche guys who I knew online, then met in person. Then they bugged me to go to the track with my '79. Once hooked I quit canyon strafing started working on my licenses. 5 years and $70K or so later I retired from club racing and am back on 2-wheels for my fun. Much cheaper...but I just putt around in the twisties enjoying the ride rather than trying to go too fast.

Best of all the g/f loves to ride the twisties. Angeles Crest in the AM, then Malibu in the PM? No problem. 300 miles up through Hwy 33, Frazier Park, etc? No problem. Just gotta find the right woman...
Old 10-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #37
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
If you can find a lady who likes to ride her own bike and can do so competently, then that is the way to go for sure. More fun for everyone involved IMO. My current best lady friend loves to pilot her own bike. Some people just do not have the right combination of motor skills or temperment to ride a motorcyle. For them two up is the only choice. Personally, I feel a little nervous riding two up because I don't want to be responsible for maming someone, which can happen no matter how good you are.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #38
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
I got my wife interested in riding by packing her on my bimmer, and she enjoyed it to the point of getting her own bike and greatly enjoying it, but still sometimes preferred just being the passenger, like when the weather was bad, or she just wasn't feeling up to it. I never minded having her onboard, even when we'd click helmets occasionally.

God do I miss her.
RedShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:07 PM   #39
nostatic
i drank what?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Personally, I feel a little nervous riding two up because I don't want to be responsible for maming someone, which can happen no matter how good you are.
I went down on the freeway with my then-g/f on the back. We got off fairly lucky, and I was pretty horrified during and afterwards about it. When I got back on the bike after 1.5 years I told the present g/f that I wasn't really interested in doing 2-up. And she saw the pictures and the scars. I gave full disclosure and she still wanted to try it...and she loved it. I suppose I could say, "no" but I think her odds are better on the back of my bike than on her own. She's probably going to take the MSF and see how it goes.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #40
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,924
2-up is half the number of flat tires or other bike breakdowns (but you do lose the ability of one of you to ride for help)

The odds of two riders wanting to ride the same speed is pretty low.

It eliminates the problem of one person getting separated in traffic.

+1 to what Eyes Shut said, who has spent about 40,000 miles on the back of my bike (and who has a motorcycle license and had her own motorcycle, but didn't like riding it as much as riding pillion). Before we took up motorcycling, we spent about > 25 years on tandem bicycles together, so it was pretty natural for us to ride 2-up.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #41
Wind-venture
Banned

Oddometer: 4,902
I like riding two up for the alternating chest and backrubs while driving thru some pretty cool roads. That and the way she hangs on tighter when we do some twisties
Wind-venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #42
Ben-M
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Because once in a while you experience something on a ride, wish you had someone to share it with, and tire of the glazed expressions when you try and tell your riding story to someone else.
Ben-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #43
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark
I got my wife interested in riding by packing her on my bimmer, and she enjoyed it to the point of getting her own bike and greatly enjoying it, but still sometimes preferred just being the passenger, like when the weather was bad, or she just wasn't feeling up to it. I never minded having her onboard, even when we'd click helmets occasionally.

God do I miss her.
Your post is touching and very well worded. What happened if you don't mind sharing?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #44
cba191 OP
wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer: 584
fair enough. i just don't understand how someone would be willing to ride pillion and not want to rider their own bike instead. i guess part of it comes from the fact that the one time i rode pillion (as a teenager) i was scared shitless.
cba191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #45
Remy
Woe is uh a me bop!

Oddometer: 887
Last week, I saw two guys riding one of those Can-Am Spyders. Maybe it was the gear they were wearing, but it immediately made me think of Ace & Gary the ambiguously gay duo on SNL.

RedShark, my wife is constantly "clicking" helmets with me. I was finding it bothersome, but your post has made me look at it differently. Thank you.
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote