Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #76
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 1,983
Some people are more interested in being a pillion than riding their own bike.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #77
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTiredRiders View Post
Cool trailer, Yosemite..? Yellowstone?
Thanks for the two up pic. I haven't figured out how do pictures on here but that inspires me to figure it out. You are one of the only people I've ever seen with a sport touring trailer rig.
We've toured cross country three times on the BMW. Best experiences ever. Can't wait to do it again. Anyone who hasn't needs to. Sell the boat, take out a loan, or whatever and see the country. Two up is good too.
Thanks,

US-64 in North-Central New Mexico overlooking "Brazos Cliffs".

I got that trailer in 2010 and used it first for a trip to Louisiana in April. Since then, the trailer has been from Virginia to New Mexico and from Louisiana to Iowa. Probably 15,000 miles of 2-up touring like that.

Good times!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #78
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,024
When riding two up with a woman and she grabs your junk while riding, you know you're gonna get lucky later.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #79
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 332
I need someone crowded up behind me like I need a third nut. I avoid carrying passengers whenever it's practical to do so.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #80
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by cba191 View Post
i know that i'll probably get flamed for this, but what is the appeal of riding 2-up? i've never done it, so i have no point of reference. it has just always seemed to me that riding your own ride would be much more appealing. but, when in a car, i hate not being in the driver's seat. so maybe that has something to do with it as well.

Riding 2-up is a means to get laid.

...I usually end up dating women that ride anyway though. Otherwise I don't really like riding two up.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #81
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,614
I cant say its better 2 up, and I wont say its bad.
The wife likes going for rides when the weather is nice, and is not interested in having her own bike, so I get a ride in and she does not feel neglected.
For me, it would be worse if she had her own bike, being older, never having ridden a motorcycle, and with the traffic and other things you need to know to be safe, it would be risky.
At our age, you do not bounce back after a crash very well...

Years ago, we did a little dirt riding 2 up, on my old Daytona, it was a lot of work for me with the sand around here, but it was fun anyway. Not motocross, just exploring the woods on 2 wheels....

To be young, single, and having a girl on the back is nothing but good in my book.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #82
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,570
I don't mind it, but I'm not a huge fan either. Bike handles weird, weighs too much and I have to be concerned with keeping somebody else besides myself alive out there.

On the pro side, I enjoy having my wife right behind me holding on to me tightly for a while. She is also an excellent passenger, having ridden her own motorcycle for a while before deciding it wasn't for her.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #83
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTiredRiders View Post
Well at the ripe old age of 45 I don't think my wife is going to be able to deal with being thrashed about on the back of the 990 as she was say four years ago and prior on the 950. I hate the idea of leaving her behind to not enjoy the dual sport scene, as she knows all the people we ride with. To be honest, at 44 I'm not looking forward to being thrashed about on the trails two up either. It is much more work. 200 to 300 miles of dual sport in a weekend and you're pretty beat. If you can't stand up and move back and forth its not as fun. You have to go a lot slower. So I will encourage her to bring some books and the iPad and hang out at the campground with the guard dog. (That even sounds fun to me, guess I am getting old)
And save our two up riding for dirt and paved roads. I don't see many two up off road couples, none at the last few events we did..Hancock and shenendoa and Lockhaven. A while back I used to see a couple on about a 400 cc jap bike or so. That was ten years ago. They used to ride a few events, particularly the Shenandoah. They too probably got wise or old, perhaps both.
Seriously?
44 and 45 - that's not old!

I'm 44 and my husband is 43 and the only riding I like to do is 2up dirt. I'd like to think that we can continue this for a while.
When we're riding together, we usually aim for 200-300 offroad miles a day.

I know a lot of people don't like 2up, but in our case, it's a necessity. I'm a dirt n00b. I could ride every day for the rest of my life and I will never be as good or as fast as my husband.
Our rides together would consist of him being bored and me being stressed, trying to keep up.
I'm short, so I have limited dual sport choices. Even with him on something like a honda CT90, I'd be working to keep up!

Going 2up on the 990, I get to enjoy all the good (technical) stuff without needing the skill or the talent.
BigWan enjoys it, too. He likes the extra challenge of taking me on rides - while making the single riders work to keep up.
Some of our best times together have been on long 2up rides.

Anyway.
I just get tired of people thinking that 2up = lame.
Sure, it can be. But it doesn't have to be.

Here's a little trailer we made in Death Valley. All the footage was shot while we were riding 2up.

Last summer, a friend took us around BC and we got some nice video:

And that's why I love 2up dirt.
That little mountain climb was in the middle of a 480 mile day (yes, one day. not all of it offroad - we had to slab there).
there's no way I could have kept up with those guys on a little dual sport.

Anyway - I'm just throwing that out there - keep an open mind about 2up.
It may not be for YOU, but that doesn't mean it sucks for everyone.
Also - refuse to grow up! Mid 40s is not old!

LittleWan screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 08:56 AM Reason: just clarifying that we rode 480 miles in one day :)
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #84
TwoTiredRiders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hey LittleWan

Wow, that was some awesome video footage! You guys are out of control. In a good way. The helmet cam makes that look terrifying to watch. Everything seemed so treacherous. Makes the dual sports we do seem pretty tame. I'll take the hint and keep trucking on the 990 with the lil lady. Your response and videos were the sort of two up off road riding encouragement I was looking for. Thanks for the shot Of adrenalin.
I'll just tell her: "look, the littlewans and the bigwans can do that crazy shit like in the video I showed you, so this is no big deal"
Actually I have given her talks like that while dual sporting and going up crazy hills. She said she closes her eyes, lol.
.2TR
TwoTiredRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #85
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Wow! I know you all like your junk touched and getting laid is well, Great! But taking someone else 's life in your hands for me is the deal breaker! There simply are to many variables out there to make me a two up guy. I ride differently, I try to out think the situations, instead of just riding them. I'm jumpy on the breaks and slow on the throttle. If I were to hurt or god forbid kill a passenger due to one of my decisions or not, would be more than I could deal with. Motorcycling is a dangerous endeavor, making a bad decision when your one up is bad enough! I love to ride and when I'm riding double, I usually can't wait to get off the bike. When I'm by myself, I can't wait to go!
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #86
TwoTiredRiders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Rocker 59

Thanks for the update on the Guzzi picture. NM is a beautiful state too. My friend Jay saw you and your trailer rig at the Guzzi rally in VA this past summer. He rode down there from PA in that 100degree heat spell that we had. That was his first big road trip on a bike. I was coaching him on hydration issues. He did fine on his white Guzzi V7.
TwoTiredRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #87
NONo443
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I see the appeal and the pros of doing 2-up riding, but it is just not for me. Same thing with riding in groups or with other riders.
NONo443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #88
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
I need someone crowded up behind me like I need a third nut. I avoid carrying passengers whenever it's practical to do so.
ahh the reach around

magic

lol
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #89
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,384
No crashing with my sweetie on the back is important. I ride very different with my lady on back. In the nice weather, a good blanket in one of the side cases for a nice outdoors frolic in the sun in a very out of the way place.

She does not like to ride long distance, but she will take a car or plane and meet me there. Nothing like sleeping bags zipped together and snuggling in the nice seasons.

Reach arounds

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #90
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Riding 2-up is a means to get laid.

...I usually end up dating women that ride anyway though. Otherwise I don't really like riding two up.
Absolutely correct

But even if you have a more steady relationship, two-up can bring some savings on long trips. Be able to split all fuel & bike-related costs. My missus rides herself, but she mostly prefers to be my pillion, when we travel. But if you only ride to the Starbucks and back, then it probably won´t matter if you do it solo or two-up.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote