Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
NeverQuit OP
RoutineDefiant Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Skipping Columbia...by boat or plane and with who?

Starting a ride down through Mexico and Central America, and we'd like to get around Columbia. Anybody used any reputable carriers/providers to fly or boat the bikes? Probably go through to Ecuador.
YouTube Channel: RIDE Adventures
Twitter: rideadv
NeverQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
Aussie_Gringo
The anti-septic

Oddometer: 7,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverQuit
Starting a ride down through Mexico and Central America, and we'd like to get around Columbia. Anybody used any reputable carriers/providers to fly or boat the bikes? Probably go through to Ecuador.
It's Colombia. Why do you want to avoid the country? Check out Outer Darkness as there are many threads there with transport options across the Darien Gap.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Good luck!
Aussie_Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Gringo
It's Colombia. Why do you want to avoid the country? Check out Outer Darkness as there are many threads there with transport options across the Darien Gap.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Good luck!
+1, except Aussie Gringo, as awesome as he is, must be getting very old, because Outer Darkness was long-ago divided into sub-regions, including "Latin America."

Colombia is awesome. Don't go around it. Don't be frightened by old stories of war and trouble. The actual risks of anything happening in Colombia are no greater than every other risk you take every time you hop on your motorcycle. Colombia is beautiful. It is the most beautiful country in all of Latin America.

I'm not going to do any more work for you. Go to the Latin America forum and do some reading!
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:23 AM   #4
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Oddometer: 772
Always Quit

Maybe change you,re name to "Quit sometimes"!! Oh well at least I won,t have to get the beers in here in Medellin.All the more hot chics for me.
But really,I,ve already met up with 5 travellers here in the last month,well two weeks actually.
Al theturtleshead
theturtleshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
SnailsPace
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtleshead
Maybe change you,re name to "Quit sometimes"!! Oh well at least I won,t have to get the beers in here in Medellin.All the more hot chics for me.
But really,I,ve already met up with 5 travellers here in the last month,well two weeks actually.
Al theturtleshead
Rode through Colombia beginning of the year. Up until then Bolivia was my choice of country in S.A. Now i can not say enough about Colombia. The scenery, the people. Beautiful. Having said that if you are not comfortable, go round. It is your trip.
SnailsPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
kaiserkyhl
Send more money!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailsPace
Rode through Colombia beginning of the year. Up until then Bolivia was my choice of country in S.A. Now i can not say enough about Colombia. The scenery, the people. Beautiful. Having said that if you are not comfortable, go round. It is your trip.
After visiting Colombia in January I returned in may, got married, started a hostel and are expecting a baby soon.

Have had more that 25 bikers visit my hostel since 1st of August, all with nothing but praises for this country and riding ;-)
Old 10-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
NeverQuit OP
RoutineDefiant Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
4 Years Later

To celebrate 4 years since I first wrote the inquiry above, I'm just writing to say....I'm here, I'm alive, and I friggin' LOVE Colombia!

My travels ended up re-routing me just by chance anyway, but eventually I spent quite a bit of time in Colombia, riding, dining, exploring, and getting to know a couple of the guys who wrote above. Now a large part of my work is arranging travel plans for other riders who want to ride in Colombia.

Whereas I once thought those were some pretty wise-ass responses (um, turtleshead...how are ya, buddy) they were in fact right: Unless you're seriously looking for trouble, you're unlikely to find it in Colombia. Bunch of sweet-hearted people the Colombians are, and they're totally proud of their country and what they've done to rid themselves of a troubled past.

Not in my time down there, or from any of the customers who we've sent on adventure trips to Colombia have I heard any horror stories. (Not even a case of the shits!) Walk into the wrong movie theater or grocery store in the U.S. though, and bam! One customer even commented recently how he thought Colombia was safer than the U.S.

Anyway, I'm off the soapbox. Get yourself to Colombia, and see what I've seen. You'll love it.

E

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserkyhl View Post
After visiting Colombia in January I returned in may, got married, started a hostel and are expecting a baby soon.

Have had more that 25 bikers visit my hostel since 1st of August, all with nothing but praises for this country and riding ;-)
YouTube Channel: RIDE Adventures
Twitter: rideadv

NeverQuit screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 02:14 PM
NeverQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,749
Old 10-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
zaigua
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi
We have room for one motorbike in our container (40ft). We are shipphing it from Colon to Cartagena the last week of November.
zaiguat@gmail.com
zaigua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Simple , take a RoRo vessel from Manzanillo ,Panama to Guayaquil, Ecuador or Callao, Peru.
In Panama you;ll need an agent or authorized help to do Customs and Police inspection by order of government. Used to be by the vehicle owner but not anymore.
Be careful how Customs fill the form when you enter Panama. Agents in Panama had told me there is a lot of problems in this regard
If you need the schedule let me know. That is the cheapest and most practical way to ship your bike to another country in South America.

You can count up to 5 days to deliver the vehicle at the port before departure date.
At Colon , (80 kms) the bike should be inspected at the DIJ same city. It takes 1 day.
Then with the agent you'll do Customs .
Once you enter Panama from Costa Rica, you must get insurance (mandatory).

Be careful , how Panama Customs release the form (Temp. Admission). Be sure to give them the VIN# and Engine # (remember you are at banana's country) and it is correctly written in the form. If not, then you must again to Customs in Colon (a pain in the ass!).

For more details on the process please send me an Email. I can give you RoRo schedules and a good contact agent .

Don't get afraid of the bureaucracy , Panama and Colombia are the worst in terms of paperwork. You esily will spend 2-3 days coming and going to several offices. Colombia is a little bit more organized.
After that , all the other countries are a piece of cake and much better organized with controls.
Somebody said in this room that Colombia is the gorgeous among all...mmmmm.., I don't think so, everyone is unique and impressive. To me Peru and Bolivia have the best mountains, Chile the nicest, decent beaches on the West and Brazil on the East. Argentina the most cultured people, Chile the most organized one. Uruguay the nicest and charming society among all. My personal opinion after being more than 40 years extensively traveling in S.A.

G/SAMX

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net

GastonUSAChile screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 03:05 PM
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
jordan325ic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I like that you came back four years later to amend your previous attitude about Colombia. We've all heard the stories. The truth is much more pleasant. Colombia was my favourite country out of all of Latin America, I felt as safe as I have anywhere.
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 AM   #12
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChile View Post
Simple , take a RoRo vessel from Manzanillo ,Panama to Guayaquil, Ecuador or Callao, Peru.
In Panama you;ll need an agent or authorized help to do Customs and Police inspection by order of government. Used to be by the vehicle owner but not anymore.
Be careful how Customs fill the form when you enter Panama. Agents in Panama had told me there is a lot of problems in this regard
If you need the schedule let me know. That is the cheapest and most practical way to ship your bike to another country in South America.

You can count up to 5 days to deliver the vehicle at the port before departure date.
At Colon , (80 kms) the bike should be inspected at the DIJ same city. It takes 1 day.
Then with the agent you'll do Customs .
Once you enter Panama from Costa Rica, you must get insurance (mandatory).

Be careful , how Panama Customs release the form (Temp. Admission). Be sure to give them the VIN# and Engine # (remember you are at banana's country) and it is correctly written in the form. If not, then you must again to Customs in Colon (a pain in the ass!).

For more details on the process please send me an Email. I can give you RoRo schedules and a good contact agent .

Don't get afraid of the bureaucracy , Panama and Colombia are the worst in terms of paperwork. You esily will spend 2-3 days coming and going to several offices. Colombia is a little bit more organized.
After that , all the other countries are a piece of cake and much better organized with controls.
Somebody said in this room that Colombia is the gorgeous among all...mmmmm.., I don't think so, everyone is unique and impressive. To me Peru and Bolivia have the best mountains, Chile the nicest, decent beaches on the West and Brazil on the East. Argentina the most cultured people, Chile the most organized one. Uruguay the nicest and charming society among all. My personal opinion after being more than 40 years extensively traveling in S.A.

G/SAMX
SPAM.

The original post was an awful long time ago. Here's Gaston asking for an email so that an agent can be introduced by him so he can get a commission.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
SPAM.

The original post was an awful long time ago. Here's Gaston asking for an email so that an agent can be introduced by him so he can get a commission.
Please, do not believe the story of the this guy (Banana) , whenever he find a tip of me , a suggestion or whatever, he for sure is going to call it SPAM, business, advantage , etc..... He is really falling low in doing comments out of topic and nonsense.

Panama ports require now to use an agent or 'embarcador' for Customs, inspection etc.. This is what shipping line had informed.
There is a lot of problems with data on the temporary admission permits given at the border and misinformation on procedures, etc, etc.. in Panama.
Banana, can tell your a thousand stories and SPAM stories. He is not in the cargo area, he think he is but nope! At the shipping section (Latin America) he offer free service to everybody , only because he did a ride along the Americas. Well , that is a ride and not a forwarder knowledge. Good luck with him, you will lose time and money.

We don't make money and have no interest with those services at all. We only look for good and the best sources and good service to adventurer riders and drivers to fulfill the task.

The are 2 ways to get of S.America right? the Panamanian side is quite disorganized and grey. The other side , Colombia more organized but complicated. Holidays make it worst. Colombia (Cartagena) just had this week Monday, today and Friday and possible next Monday , holiday..............................!! If you are running crazy from office to office , place to place asking for results on a shipping process, it is madness!, add holidays and your pocket will empty paying hotels.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverQuit View Post
To celebrate 4 years since I first wrote the inquiry above, I'm just writing to say....I'm here, I'm alive, and I friggin' LOVE Colombia!

My travels ended up re-routing me just by chance anyway, but eventually I spent quite a bit of time in Colombia, riding, dining, exploring, and getting to know a couple of the guys who wrote above. Now a large part of my work is arranging travel plans for other riders who want to ride in Colombia.

Whereas I once thought those were some pretty wise-ass responses (um, turtleshead...how are ya, buddy) they were in fact right: Unless you're seriously looking for trouble, you're unlikely to find it in Colombia. Bunch of sweet-hearted people the Colombians are, and they're totally proud of their country and what they've done to rid themselves of a troubled past.

Not in my time down there, or from any of the customers who we've sent on adventure trips to Colombia have I heard any horror stories. (Not even a case of the shits!) Walk into the wrong movie theater or grocery store in the U.S. though, and bam! One customer even commented recently how he thought Colombia was safer than the U.S.

Anyway, I'm off the soapbox. Get yourself to Colombia, and see what I've seen. You'll love it.

E
Way cool dude, sound like your living a dream.
Look forward to riding through again this Winter.
Where the hell is Albert ( Turtleshead ) these days ?

Max
Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,573
Albert hangs out at his newish bar in the nice area of Medellin, Colombia in El Pablado area(sp?) called the Shamrock.

And he who skips Colombia has made a grave mistake, its one of the greatest motorcycle countries in the world