ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #15091
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
New replacements at the moment are not all that expensive. Prolly $250-350-ish if you can wait for shipping from the Ukraine. They may also be available in the US. Haven't really had the need to do a bunch of research.

Don't know what they charge for rebuilding one. Just reporting what I was told. My guess is rebuilding cranks is also becoming a 'lost art' along with all the other skills that go into stuff like this. Stands to reason the fewer that can do it, the more it will cost. Can't wait to find out when I eventually send my 338 Enticer crank out to be done. Word on the street there's a guy in VT that does them.

Those rods are not bolted in place. Eveything is free spinning. The whole assembly came wrapped in a waxy paper and coated in cosmaline. The wrist pins are tied in place with twine. Old school.

Correct on the oil holes, Rob.

The issue wasn't not finding a crank rebuilder. It was finding one that made it worthwhile.

They are thicker in the other dimension at the bottom to make up for it.

There's nothing thinner than Russian chrome.

No kicky carby. Heel-toe.

Almost. If it were here I would have taken a better shot but have a look at this pic I snagged online.

They were even kind enough to circle the deceptive item for me - in teal.

After the initial start up you may have watched, it stalled out. With a Ural, that in itself is not alarming or even unusual.

Shortly afterwards there was some fuel dripping out near the left head pipe. Again, with a Ural, that in itself is not alarming or even unusual. Though I've never seen it do that before it has hydro-locked if I leave the fuel on.

Anyhoo...after discovering one more not so clever move go ahead. ask. we eventually get the rig outside to give her a try. Fires up. Sounds like it's running on one cyclinder but maybe the new single exhaust is throwing it off some...? Let's feel it. Yep. Left side is cold. Right side...burns the crap out off my finger!

More dicking around, test rides, failure and frustration.

Did I mention there was also some of this: "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick"

Then a bit of this: "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick"

It's decided it's a fuel issue. Let's bring that thing in and start troubleshooting. I decide to do it the opposite way I normally do. I go for the simplest thing first.

Let's start with, "Is fuel even getting to the carb?" Pull off the fuel line. Turn on the fuel. Yup. Look at carb and where I pulled the fuel line off and say, "Ya think this has anything to do with it?"

Yeah. Dumbass.

What you don't see in that picture is the fuel line barb looks nearly identical to the vent. In my haste I had a 50/50 chance. I lost.

A short session of: "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" "Kick" and I go home. It'll have to wait.

I'm taking up golf.

In my misspent yout' when I studied all things cars and a bunch about VWs they were making 'roller' cranks for the flat fours. All pressed together. HIGH RPMs! Guess the downfall was dumping the clutch you could 'spin it' out of position. There was a new technique then to deal with it. They called it heli-arc.

Don't think the Ural has any danger of that happening.

Whenever there's a 50/50, I do what you did.
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #15092
Tslapper
#!

Nice looking XT, IC!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #15093
Tslapper
#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy View Post

GoG steps up... he shoots... he scores!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #15094
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post

since its in your shop, does his wife know about this?
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:29 AM   #15095
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
since its in your shop, does his wife know about this?

That is his shop...I just posted the pic he is having computer issues.

and his wife was happy for him
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:54 AM   #15096
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,452
:f lug

Mornin EC
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:00 AM   #15097
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,433
Quote:

Mornin EC
Sandbagger.

Seriously, ya dun real good, David! Real good.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:03 AM   #15098
Tslapper
#!

I had to go to Portsmouth after work last night to pick up the wifes car. It started having issues last Friday night.

I thought charging, called 2twisted and he thought the same. Belt looked bad when I got there, hopped in the car and drove it around for a little while and thought I'd limp it home. Gave the truck to my wife who was heading to her sisters in Vermont and made it 1/2 mile down the road. Limped into a gas station opened the hood and smelled something burning. About then the alternator burst into flames!

It ain't a slipping belt.

Ran into the gas station, hollered something about fire at the attendant, grabbed a bottle of water and put the car out. Disconnected the battery and called the wife to come get me.

Went to Vermont for the weekend. Had to endure shopping with the wife and her sister but they bought me beer and good food. $500 lighter due to car repairs. Sure had me over a barrel on that one.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:10 AM   #15099
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper View Post
Gave the truck to my wife who was heading to her sisters in Vermont and made it 1/2 mile down the road. Limped into a gas station opened the hood and smelled something burning. About then the alternator burst into flames!

Odd, I have a subie in the shop right now that should be getting an alternator today. Came in on a tow, no start, so I put a battery in it. (first step)

After running for 5 minutes w/new battery the alternator was too hot to touch! WTF! "SHUT 'ER DOWN!!!!"

MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #15100
EvilClown

Sorry about your car troubles, Tom.

Cars suck. Glad the fire didn't spread. That never seems to end well.

~Augustine of Hippo
Old 12-15-2010, 04:44 AM   #15101
EvilClown

Quote:

Mornin EC
I've been thinking...I want to see a dated picture of you with all of your limbs intact. Preferably, fully clothed.

~Augustine of Hippo
Old 12-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #15102
Tslapper
#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Cars suck.
Yeah, you said it. Cars are a necessary evil.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:57 AM   #15103
Tslapper
#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy View Post
Odd, I have a subie in the shop right now that should be getting an alternator today. Came in on a tow, no start, so I put a battery in it. (first step)

After running for 5 minutes w/new battery the alternator was too hot to touch! WTF! "SHUT 'ER DOWN!!!!"

Alternator sales are up!

I stopped at an advanced auto when I got to Portsmouth and bought a battery and serpentine belt. Figured I'd get home on those.

Ah well, another story in the great big bucket of stories.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:55 AM   #15104
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
EC, are those MF44s the screws you had on the DR? I loved the way that thing hooked up.

2T, the sled stays. I love that little 4 stroke, for now. I hope we get enough snow to ride this season.

BMWKLR, the wife is on board. She is very supportive when it comes to getting things on the cheap!

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments on the XT!

PC, sounds like you will be getting the six pack. Nice work.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:59 AM   #15105
Tslapper
#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
Thanks to everyone for the positive comments on the XT!
hopefully you won't need a car.