ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #736
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,249
Correction (I knew I read this somewhere!):

Under the FAQ section (last updated in 2005):

8. Do I have to register my Dual Sport Motorcycle as an ATV? Not if it is registered as a motorcycle

I'll probably register it anyway just to give some money to the snowmobilers.
Mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:47 AM   #737
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen
Does Maine have a classification system for roads? Something like NHs Class VI road designation - still a public way, but not maintained? Those are what I'm really after, personally...and even those can easily go way over the Tigers head sometimes...
Hoping the "Maine Local Roads" thread would help in that area. Some of those double dashed lines in the maine atlas are town roads some aren't. Would be nice to know which are, so I guess its up to us to go ride em and report..
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #738
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR
Hoping the "Maine Local Roads" thread would help in that area. Some of those double dashed lines in the maine atlas are town roads some aren't. Would be nice to know which are, so I guess its up to us to go ride em and report..
Yup, you have a good idea there. I'll be sure to make an effort this year to save some tracks.
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:59 AM   #739
Tslapper
#!

Mudhen, I've been running laps in the woods around my property on an RM250. I still wind up in the freakin swamp on a certain right hander because I can't make out my tracks.

Yeah, I believe bikes are much less of an impact but it isn't about that.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #740
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

looking for a bike

My son is looking for his first motorcycle. He seems to be taking after me abit looking for a bike that can do some longer miles (not a crotch rocket).
His budget is in the $1000-1200 range. He is open to a d/s type bike but wants more of a passenger seat than the KLR offers. He is a little over 6' and probably sits on the middle of the KLR like I do...The problem seems to be that many of the d/s bikes are relatively new and so the prices are still up out of his range. VStrom, Versye, etec. He does not want too much engine, hard to believe for a 21 yr old but he'd be happy with 500-600cc
Would like something that would do ok on town dirt roads with 90/10 tires. He will be working in Barre, Vt area for the summer and there are plenty of dirt roads over that way...
He feels the Tiger has more engine than he wants to handle at this point.
Any recommendations on what to look for?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:05 AM   #741
MaineThumpah
Tons of gear wearer

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
My son is looking for his first motorcycle. ...
Any recommendations on what to look for?
That's a tough one...
Maybe something like this? http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/1157204566.html
It's more of a sport touring than a crotch rocket. If he's only doing dirt roads, this might not be too bad.

I'm thinking about putting peg lowering blocks on my KLR. I'm 6', and my hips feel a little strained on longer rides. I think it would be nice to lower my feet a little, and it should let me slide more into the tank, leaving more seat behind me for my gear.

"You can't drink beer??? That's the saddest thing I've ever heard "
-dgriss1
MaineThumpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #742
Tslapper
#!

I know you said 500-600 but I'd be happy on a DR350se in Barre. Seen em in the 1400 dollar range. These can be made pretty big with some ATV high rise bars on them.

That is a tough one with that money in mind.

edit
forgot the part about a passenger seat. We'll then, how's about an 80's vintage CB or KZ? Plenty of those around. The EX500 is a great bike but really small.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #743
GEOBREW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
MOTO Friendly Trails

Hey folks, if you took a look at that link I posted earlier, you will notice that there are no online trail maps avail, but they will send you one if you call and ask. If you like google earth, I have the .kmz file for the trails that "are moto friendly" through out the state. If you want, send me a PM with your email and I can send it to you. If your not familiar with opening files in google earth but have it on your machine, you basically just double click the file and it auto launches google earth. Just an fyi I didn't create this data, so dont bitch to me if its not exact. Some of it sucks (like the trails near my house) and most is petty accurate geographically speaking. Its for reference only, and it would never hurt to call BPL to make sure its good to go. I "assume" it is because they are the same trails that are on the printed map they would send you. Also if anyone has any .gpx files for some good rides that would be sweet as I'm still a noob who is "from away"!

brew

GEOBREW screwed with this post 05-07-2009 at 01:37 PM
GEOBREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #744
MaineThumpah
Tons of gear wearer

Oddometer: 723
Here's a good bike for your son, BKMLWR:
http://www.unclehenrys.com/CLASSIFIE...csearch%3dN%23

EDIT: Here's another:http://www.unclehenrys.com/CLASSIFIE...csearch%3dN%23

I know these are a little higher than the budget, but they are good food for thought.

"You can't drink beer??? That's the saddest thing I've ever heard "
-dgriss1

MaineThumpah screwed with this post 05-07-2009 at 01:54 PM
MaineThumpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #745
2twisted
GoodNYou

Oddometer: 2,864
[QUOTE=Robby P]When did the people of Maine change the charter of the warden service?
I thought they were created and funded to protect and promote wildlife.
Not to be revenue generators for the State by enforcing bullshit rules.

It is all about generating Money, not about enforcing /promoting wildlife.

I was Flyfishing a small pond ( artificial lure only pond ) a few years back and when I came into the landing a warden came sneaking out of the woods and checked me out, finding nothing wrong he went back into the bushes. While I was loading my gear another dude came paddling in and the warden was all over him like a fly to shit, I overheard him bagging him for weed and giving him a ticket...now here is the best part, dudes canoe had light tackle and worms.....no fine for that I even asked after the warden left. So there you go, that answers that.
2twisted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #746
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineThumpah
Here's a good bike for your son, BKMLWR:
http://www.unclehenrys.com/CLASSIFIE...csearch%3dN%23

EDIT: Here's another:http://www.unclehenrys.com/CLASSIFIE...csearch%3dN%23

I know these are a little higher than the budget, but they are good food for thought.
that 500ex looks nice, I rode a SV650 and thought it was a fun bike to ride. Where he might be traveling between VT and ME a little wind protection might be nice. Got him a Killi 4 Jacket for xmas and he just bought ht overpants and a new helmet is on the way.. thanks for all the suggestions, I'm taken em all in..
Old 05-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #747
Robby P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Good, all the more quiet undisturbed fishn for me....

Planing to head out Rt9 in search of trouts on 5/17 while others play with doohickeys

and headed out the Reality Rd towards 9 mile bridge checking trout populations in streams we cross in June

I appreciate those nice public boat launches too. They even allow camping at the launch area on Portage Lake...if your ever out doing an adventure ride its a nice stopover...
I didn't say they were stopping life-----just stopping the support
Robby P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #748
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,811
Yeah send me a copy, It's nice to see someone that is not a complete ass from DOC. Between Brian Bronson, and the rest I've dealt with I grown pretty fed up with the riding in this state. I'm sure there is no association, but another inmate Geode seems quite a bit more cryptic about riding around here, he too has made come comments in the past that gives the feeling of being connected with the paper companies, and DOC. Just a disclaimer as to not open up a shit storm...nothing meant by my comments, just an observation that may or may not be true about Geode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOBREW
Hey folks, if you took a look at that link I posted earlier, you will notice that there are no online trail maps avail, but they will send you one if you call and ask. If you like google earth, I have the .kmz file for the trails that "are moto friendly" through out the state. If you want, send me a PM with your email and I can send it to you. If your not familiar with opening files in google earth but have it on your machine, you basically just double click the file and it auto launches google earth. Just an fyi I didn't create this data, so dont bitch to me if its not exact. Some of it sucks (like the trails near my house) and most is petty accurate geographically speaking. Its for reference only, and it would never hurt to call BPL to make sure its good to go. I "assume" it is because they are the same trails that are on the printed map they would send you. Also if anyone has any .gpx files for some good rides that would be sweet as I'm still a noob who is "from away"!

brew
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:05 AM   #749
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,497
Is everyone still in for doing the Doo at Radzo's on the 17th?

I think we were talking 8AM or so for a start time.

Don't forget Oil and a filter.

I think Tslapper and Heatmaker are on grill duty
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #750
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR
Is everyone still in for doing the Doo at Radzo's on the 17th?

I think we were talking 8AM or so for a start time.

Don't forget Oil and a filter.

I think Tslapper and Heatmaker are on grill duty
What's goin' on at Radzo's Garage...?

I'll get the fridge stocked up... it ran embarrassingly low the past couple of days... I've been doing that hit and run thing, hit the house and run out again...

Ciao,
rd

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote