Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #211
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,107
So many choices???? Oh my! I'd pick the KTM for this event

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
Count me in! Though I'm going to have to tap the ADVrider stash at my joint for this one.

My WR currently has a Trials Tire on the rear and I don't want to fry it when there's a couple of bikes over here with Gen You Ine DOT tires mounted. Gotta send an e-mail tonight!

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #212
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfront
You don't even have to ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam
So many choices???? Oh my! I'd pick the KTM for this event
I just talked w/ George (Currently on the East Coast) I'm gonna take the BRP, it hasn't had any exercise since Sam's first trip here last Thanksgiving. Plus Gasser needs somebody to take the by-pass crew on the mellow side of the tracks since there will be some Gasser trail diversions and I ain't taking the fluffy route on a bad ass Katoom!
Old 05-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #213
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Big DS Ride Next Weekend!

There's a Dual Sport Ride this weekend to make up for a lack of a Mauna Kea 200 this year (long story...) there are some Oahu riders coming over and a good amount of Hilo folks as well as those to our north. Sfront came from Florida, he spent yesterday putting his KTM into spec, just a few minor adjustments; de-smog, re-jet, radiator guards, cooling fan, steering damper, re-routing breather tubes, fork protection, skid plate, barkbusters, new chain and sprocket, new endcap, the list goes on... Pretty sweet machine at this stage!

For those that are in the vicinity the plan is to start in Hilo, ride a ton, and end up in Waimea for the evening. Next morning is the northern end of the island with a Mana/Keanakolu road run back to Hilo, figuring 400 miles total with some sections of serious single track thrown in to keep everybody honest.

DLNR Waiakea OHV park and R-1/R-10 permit required! Show up ad Big Island Powersports 0700 on Saturday and be ready to GO!!!

Old 05-31-2010, 03:53 AM   #214
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

T'was an Epic Ride!

300ish miles in two days, jungle, dry land forrest, leeward coastline, bacon, pancakes, imported Beer (Hell, Budweiser is imported to Hawaii), BBQ, and good ole times!

For those not in the "Know" the Mauna Kea 200 got Kanked his year, various issues concerning appropriate permits caused the organisers to bow out for 2010. Instead, a loose knit cocunut wireless collection of riders decided to do a DS ride this year in tribute.

My Odo showed 310 miles for the two days but I imagine that is a tad low since I have a larger front tire on and never did the math to re-compute the computer...

Sfront came from Florida and rode his 530 Katoom:

He even brought his lovely Umbrella Girl turned Bike Holder wife:

There was some all out fun riding and only one flat, one snapped chain, and one fried cooling system, plus there were riders from Oahu and Maui.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:43 AM   #215
Klasjm
R100gs

Oddometer: 2,229
Here is my ride report of four Islands of Hawaii.
Hope you enjoy, as it was a once in a lifetime trip for Barb and I.

Hawaii
Klasjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:59 PM   #216
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Quote:
300ish miles in two days, jungle, dry land forrest, leeward coastline, bacon, pancakes, imported Beer (Hell, Budweiser is imported to Hawaii), BBQ, and good ole times!

For those not in the "Know" the Mauna Kea 200 got Kanked his year, various issues concerning appropriate permits caused the organisers to bow out for 2010. Instead, a loose knit cocunut wireless collection of riders decided to do a DS ride this year in tribute.

My Odo showed 310 miles for the two days but I imagine that is a tad low since I have a larger front tire on and never did the math to re-compute the computer...

Sfront came from Florida and rode his 530 Katoom:

He even brought his lovely Umbrella Girl turned Bike Holder wife:

There was some all out fun riding and only one flat, one snapped chain, and one fried cooling system, plus there were riders from Oahu and Maui.
WooHoo All the way from FL. I remember seeing that machine all shiny like just before vacating the stall. Glad he made it. That was quite a ride 300+ miles.... more pictures please; what was the basic route?

I too had a good Memorial Day Ride

Say Hi to your Mom for me an take care. I'll keep checking in on you coconut hooligans.

Aldous Huxley
Old 05-31-2010, 07:03 PM   #217
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
That was quite a ride 300+ miles.... more pictures please; what was the basic route?

I too had a good Memorial Day Ride

Say Hi to your Mom for me an take care. I'll keep checking in on you coconut hooligans.
Funny that you checked in, we ran into your old KLR on Saturday up at Pu'u Huluhulu ("The Shaggy Hill") during our gas/lunch stop. Three of us were skipping R-1 on Mauna Kea to hit Mana/Keanakolu road (I've never ridden it as fast as we did that afternoon!) to Waimea to meet out Spousal Units prior to dark and he joined the 16 other guys going around Mauna Kea, I heard he bailed after a mile or two, that just ain't a good place for a KLR if everybody else is going Balls Out on 450s and 530s....

More pictures will come, SFRONT and Gasser ought to chime in at some point.

Mom will be here shortly and I'll pass the word, she'll probably choke up when I mention your name....

Old 06-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #218
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

The instructions were to show up at BIPS 0700 Saturday morning, at dinner the night before I tell Sfront that 0700 is more of a guide than an absolute, 0700 and the attendance is a bit thin:

We wait a bit and more folks showed up, I think it was 19 in all, after a rider's brief and loading up Ed's gas/support rig (spare wheel is for a plated GasGas EC250 2T) we're finally ready to go.

First stop after a short blast across a Pahoehoe Lava trail is an old government road in the Puna district, weather is a crisp 83 degrees and 87% humidity.

Five Honda CRF450X's, four KTM 450's, two Husky 450's, two KTM 630's, a 525 Beta, a WR450, a 250 2T GasGas, a KTM 200 2T, a Honda CRF450R, and my WR250F are along for the ride. We hit some single track:

The Single Track hits back:

We get the universal "Let's bail on this Sweaty, Mosquito Infested, Sauna and go BBQ and Drink!" sign but since it's 0915 we elect to keep riding until at least 1020.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:26 AM   #219
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

OK, we bust out of the single track and take a pause on Beach Rd. to gather our thoughts and catch our breath, I'll refrain from identifying who's bright idea it was to dive into there on bigger bikes and bust our nether regions.

We head down (East) along the coast to the Kapoho Lighthouse and some of us decide to by-pass the brutal full on lava bulldozed trail and instead head down to the rendevous along the established trails. The first rider out of the prescribed lava trails has to repair a flat, as a former ISDE rider the tire changes are what he trains for anyway....

We head to that 60's throw back town of Pahoa to get some gas, I hit reserve one mile out and am thankful for the opportunity.

Fifty miles later we're at Pu'u Huluhulu for gas and lunch, Ed, Tony, and Rochelle (Tony's wife) hook us up with Chicken Salad Sammiches, Haole Brownies, and H2O, not to mention more GAS! This is where we run into Sam's Ex-KLR.

Gasser has some sore ribs and Sfront and I have a date with our significant others so we elect to go Keanakolu/Mana road direct to Waimea as the rest depart for the R-1 (Circle Mauna Kea) route. The route for us was WFO, only slowing for cattle gates.

Waiting for us on the far end was the Jacaranda Inn, swimming pools and Movie Stars....

Not to mention our significant others...... The bikes are rinsed off and safely put to rest!

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 06-03-2010 at 08:30 AM
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #220
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Quote:
OK, we bust out of the single track and take a pause on Beach Rd. to gather our thoughts and catch our breath, I'll refrain from identifying who's bright idea it was to dive into there on bigger bikes and bust our nether regions.

We head down (East) along the coast to the Kapoho Lighthouse and some of us decide to by-pass the brutal full on lava bulldozed trail and instead head down to the rendevous along the established trails. The first rider out of the prescribed lava trails has to repair a flat, as a former ISDE rider the tire changes are what he trains for anyway....

We head to that 60's throw back town of Pahoa to get some gas, I hit reserve one mile out and am thankful for the opportunity.

Fifty miles later we're at Pu'u Huluhulu for gas and lunch, Ed, Tony, and Rochelle (Tony's wife) hook us up with Chicken Salad Sammiches, Haole Brownies, and H2O, not to mention more GAS! This is where we run into Sam's Ex-KLR.

Gasser has some sore ribs and Sfront and I have a date with our significant others so we elect to go Keanakolu/Mana road direct to Waimea as the rest depart for the R-1 (Circle Mauna Kea) route. The route for us was WFO, only slowing for cattle gates.

Waiting for us on the far end was the Jacaranda Inn, swimming pools and Movie Stars....

Not to mention our significant others...... The bikes are rinsed off and safely put to rest!

EXCELLENT 83 degrees ohhh.. that sounds nice. Well it looks to me you had a great weekend. So Gasser healing up good? I am sure there was copious and frequent tank slapping episodes So no 200cc 2 smokes on this one huh? It seems the single track machete hacking section would have been prime.

Thanks for the pictures.

Aldous Huxley
Old 06-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #221
sfront
Chaos in Motion

Oddometer: 937
Gasser was on his 200 XC. That old guy can haul the mail!
Also had a Gas Gas 250 out there with us.
I just got home last night and haven't had a chance to see what I've got for pix.
I'll start going thru them tonight.
I had a blast, even if that tree did kick my ass! Those roots are invisible.....
Thanks Robert!

STEVE

So what if it was short....I still had a great time!!!
sfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #222
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Gasser's Report

Gasser is having connectivity issues right now but managed to shoot me some stuff to post, my comments in yellow:

Yo Robert
  1. Slip the pic's in the story lines...add some of your pic's and story with this...come up with a package and post it on ADV........... fall out! (One of these days he'll realise I'm retired and quit barking orders at me...)
Like innocent little kids out to have fun in the sun riding our tricycle's spinning the front tire just to see if you can, mentality defines a Dual-Sport rider with the Big Island as the play ground area.
This was a very good ride with one DNF out of 17 (19 on day one) starters.
No one got lost, the corner man technique worked in keeping the train of off roader's in sync.
Contemplating Mauna Kea's R1, 47 rough miles and not having any gut abb power because of separated rib's from a jump gone wrong in my yard week before this ride so I by-passed trail 69's level "4.5" jungle section, Mauna Kea R1 (to full on blast Keanakolu/Mana instead and leave me and Sfront eating a seven course meal of DUST!!!!), 1984 lava flow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Day 1 >> Fright training with cosmic hitch precision @ 8:30 am from Big Island Power Sports motorcycle shop (what time does the 7:00 am riding star????), we law abidingly worked our way out of Hilo to Trail 69's secret entrance that leads to the Ocean on a dark slippery muddy super root infested overhead grown jungle fisherman trail for a mile to a coconut tree cluster on the Ocean coastline where the trail continues through Ironwood trees back on to a short tarmac distance heading for section 2.

Power house Anthony blitz section 2 on a Honda 450x being the first to come out of the gnarly trail without busting his okoli (for the non-natives, Okole is A$$ in english), but got slammed down 20 ft from the exit on one of 4 hidden logs in the deep grass, everyone had to get off and lift their bikes to get over these slippery odd angled log's.

Jerry Miller never broke a sweat in the jungle and "rode" over those potential de-tenting logs with smiling ease...this guy is good, along with Joe Edsman he gets my Superman award on these BIDSA adventure rides.
Hollywood popped out of the guava tangled jungle over the log's on to the road with no complications, though he pointed back toward the black hole in the jungle, saying in chest heaving breaths, "dude's...never let anyone go in there if their not a pro rider".

Sfront's upside down KTM had him pinned in the Guava trees till other riders came along and pried him free, he came all the way from Florida for this ride...I hope he got his adrenalin'$ worth cause he and his new KTM got both got body parts pounded & scratched.

Alex from Maui on a 250 Gas Gas did real good in the jungle section for never being in there, though he ran out of human gas when he approached the exit log's, Power house "High Octane" Anthony volunteered to help leverage Alex's suck-bang-go to the shady cool side of the 4wd road waiting for the rest of the knobby spinning calorie burning riders on trail 69's muscle demanding energy supply to eventually appear from the dark hole into bright solar light at the jungles edge...got Snicker bar?
My fake rib Benachracer story covered me on that trail section that I hacked months back, but always new better not to ride it...cool huh!

Don't go in there without a cell phone, first aid kit, flare gun, wench and backup chromed skyhook-come-along with gold hook, plus a weeks worth of food/water...ya shit, it's heavy carrying all that North Face do or die equipment...but hey! that's half the good fun of riding Hawaii's lava rock Dual-Sport trail's, the other half is getting ready to do it again.
Next section was Skitters Rule Mango grove, a tall square edge drop off hidden in the tall grass is at the entrance, the drop off can only be missed by inches to get past funneling down a dark hole into V shaped foot peg gripping Guava limb's needing extra tire spin to break free popping the rider into a tangle of Guava & Mango trees on slippery moss/root rocks...cool shit man!
Mike found that drop off in the grass, got stuck as other riders passed him...I followed mike as he struggled the heavy 450 Yamaha, Mike had to summon up mega burst of ligament/muscle/phalange power to wiggle and push the bars through the Guava tangles on up hill rises and he also did some dead stop horizontal parking maneuvers just for laughs as we both went down together like dominos.

You can't buy this lay in the jungle pig shit dirt and laugh your ass off fun, though Wayne will sell you some $$$tires/oil you can relate to as an imaginary entry fee for the next June 27th Back to the 50's ride on the Hamakua coast via Mana Rd.
Shooting up a 6 ft incline instantly puts the riders in a whole different world of wide open space pick any line 4wd road for 8mi.
Steve and I entered Cape Kumuhi section last, 15 riders were already 5 min ahead, but they took the wrong trail, then they saw Steve and I on the right trail, this put us 2 minutes ahead of their screw up, being an old man, wisdom sez get on the gas don't let'em pass.

So I increased the KTM's RPM factor proportional to my Race Teach suspension's rough ride specifications allowing my wrinkled senior citizen skinny ass to haul beyond my previous injury backoff the gas fear factors...shit man I was feeling good, because going faster than the crash made me forget about my rib hit groan's.
New evolving motorcycle racing logic> "go faster than your last crash injury's pain" this Dual-Sport inertia law supersedes Murphy's law of motorcycle gravity injury's.
So I though I was hauling skinny ass until Anthony and Hollywood passed me near the end where Phil's rear air chamber got deflated from a square edge Pohaku hit...in the shade of the Ironwood trees amongst laughter from all sorts of comments, Hollywood re-tubbed his KTM, and in record time we were off the unforgiving lava rock's on to a 3 mi dusty road to pavm't.
Awww, bitchen, smooooooth, now it was a steady train of equally spaced riders on a tarmac scenic ride along the coastline heading toward Kalapana for a mile long Ironwood tree and sandy coconut grove section then back on the pvmt for gas in Pahoa and on to Flume Rd via back subdivision Rd's.
I didn't see it but Steve Lau left some forearm DNA on Flume Rd as we dodged 10 miles of many small ponds of solar heated brown polluted pig water that kept splashing my face as I was closing in to pass rider's.
Spitting like mad to keep out the bacteria, I come up behind Rubber Ducky Dave...there was a wide long pond coming up, I tried to get there first, but we both entered at the same time making huge wakes of hot nasty forest brew into each other...yo Dave I got wet dude!...though I can now brag, I got to pass a Rubber Ducky in a trail pond at 69...after Dave reads this he will be bench pressing a backhoe bucket to get in shape for the Team Pohaku Okoli GPS 500/24.< talk story with Gasser on that.
Off Flume Rd, turning down a freshly bulldozed rough power line 4wd, blipping off the high spots landing with rib pressure grunt's & groan's, I was reeling in the front runners who I caught up with on a long undulating up hill Pahoehoe/a'a' fern/guava encroached trail...dodging rock roost from Miller's tire off every rise...with a good suspension rhythm I followed Miller, Oveland, Darryl and Steve, we road faster than you should, but faster than the crash, on that bitchen Dual-Sport'en day.
Abruptly popping out on Saddle Rd we tarmac cruised up to mi 28 fuel pit stop and a full spread gourmet lunch with nothing spared.
I thought only Ed Ung would be there with fuel/water and my requested Hooter chick goggle cleaner.
Shootzzzzzz brah! surprised me...was mo betta den da kine hooters... Tony & Rochelle had set up a food spread dat wass taaaa'riffic...they went the extra Dual-Sport miles...both day's! you folk's are very, very motorcycle rider cool...Mahalo! Mahalo! love ya. from all of us riders.....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's more to come, I just need to sort it all out, Thanks Gasser!!!!!

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 06-04-2010 at 09:09 PM
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #223
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
EXCELLENT 83 degrees ohhh.. that sounds nice. Well it looks to me you had a great weekend. So Gasser healing up good?
Well that was just a guess, 87% humidity is probebly close cause we sweat our nads off!

Gasser, when he says he's hurting, is still quicker than greased lightning!

T'was an awesome ride! It's going down as All Time!!!! Wait till you see the food shots!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:51 AM   #224
Gasser
Control crash rider

Oddometer: 140
Big Island 2/400 DS ride up date

Quote:
Well that was just a guess, 87% humidity is probebly close cause we sweat our nads off!

Gasser, when he says he's hurting, is still quicker than greased lightning!

T'was an awesome ride! It's going down as All Time!!!! Wait till you see the food shots!!!
Phil Oveland sez> Ummmm , Gasser, not ruin the story, wich should be in motohead Mag. But I do believe I already had my helmet off after I gently pushed my bike over the Hidden Log Trap ala Kevin Hines, when my shadow, Tony arrived. Darryl was next and he and Tony tore those logs up!! Jerry was next and he killed it!!! After me Darryl,Tony, Jerry left you guys for the 84 flow, poor Jerry started getting seriuos shoulder cramps... Poor guy had to stop at the gate on the Hwy and dropped his bike and punched a quarter size hole in his clutch cover, broke a barkbuster and bent his bars all at a dead stop!!!! Then the Rain started..so he's freaking cause he doesn't want to ride his bike so me and Darryl fix him up with duct tape over the puka ziptie barkbuster and down the road we went..LOVED the Flow.. Just like I remembered!! Tuf,tuf,tuf!!. time to get ready for all the outer Island races coming up now...PO...
Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #225
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Gasser's Report Phase Two

Day 2 >> A long sleepless night at the Kamuela Inn with it's bright parking lot lights making it seem it was high noon out there and listening to Ed snore like a Maico 490 shifting gears going through rough sandy whoops sections and tight trail log stuff with occasional foul plug or hooter chick pit stop silence, I waited for the never ending night to evaporate into the wind driven crispy cool pristine morning in Waimea Hawaii with the full moon waning into the western horizon, we gassed up from Ed's chase truck and fooded up at the Hawaiian Style Cafe, getting the opportunity to seat 17 riders side by side around this big U shaped counter as we inhaled their more than generous artery clogging platter servings of bacon, eggs, hash browns with 2 hub cap size pancakes, we spent $200.00+ there and more for lodging...keep that in mind voters when trail and public land closures are proposed that will further stifle the economy.
17 gassed up bikes with multi colored armored riders exhausting out quiet muffler decibels in the cool Waimea air riding on contained air tubes headed out to North Kohala inhaling fresh cow shit aroma air for some new trails for us Hilo Boy'z.
Hollywood escorted us up to a big weather radar golf ball looking globe for a fantastic panoramic view of the west side from Kona to Maui over a sea of electric green pasture land grass of the Kahua Ranch below.
Then we dropped off on steep off camber cow trails plowing through deep green grass down a progressively steeper grade into 3 foot deep ruts @ full brake lock up, glancing off their sides, ricocheting down, down, down, to the bottom of a deep grassy electric green pasture...cool stuff Phil, Mahalo! then we road zig zaging off camber cow trails up the back side of that same steep pu'u..cool again Phil mah-man.

As we coasted down hill out of Phil's motorcycle heaven ranch, we tapped into a pasture land like a well mowed golf coarse with a two track that laced up and down through post card perfect picture zones with some smooth jumps now and then, this went for miles...cool unique section thanks to Raif our Irishman "Lava Rock On" brother.

Raif tried to get permission to get through the Coast Guard section but was refused, so we pavement road to Upulo outlaw MX track and MXed/rode/explored the windy dusty coast line of the wind swept white caped waters of the treacherous Allinuihaha channel's rocky coastline,

Back to Waimea for gas, then we brake slide pitched it sideways through Mana Rd's many turns to lunch at mi 28 Saddle Rd, but along the way a Husky blew a rad hose for a DNF and Justin Lost a master link that Robert just happen to have a replacement for, all 16 pistons were quiet at mi 28 as we stuffed our faces with Rochelle's Motorcycle Maniac's Meal's on Wheels, where Ed, Tony & Rochelle went the extra miles to cover our hard MX seat worn okoil's with more than we needed...again mahalo!
Leaving pit stop 2 of day 2;
Darryl, Steve, Phil, Jerry,and? went up to the Mauna Loa relay station and took the 84 a'a' lava flow down toward home, Wayne and I took senior citizen friendly Saddle Rd home, on the way as we got to mile 22 I looked up towards Mauna Loa, it was thick foggy low slow clouds, I knew the pro boy'z were getting their rides worth coming down a foggy treacherous 2 ft wide a'a' trail 3 miles long that's covered with grey lichen same as the fog's color.
I followed Wayne into Hilo, loaded up and went home completely forgetting about Steve Lau's after ride BBQ, my attention was focused on the rib cage and just wanting to get home to stop rattling the bones, and have a good hot cup of coffee calling it a day.
I had a super good time riding/laughing/eating with you pro off road brothers for two bitchen day's and look forward to doing it a gain with new sections for a future 500 mile loop...got monkey butt?
Thenextmomentintimemaybeyourlastsoridewhileyoucan
~Gasser~