Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #241
sfront
Chaos in Motion

Oddometer: 924
One of these days I'll have as much time on my hands as Gasser..........!!!
(He hasn't changed a whole lot from 1966)
As far as me on a board, Owens already doing better than me!
Go ahead a put a few dings in your board so its not new when we come back!
I still have more pix and video.
I've been working all weekend and will try to get some more up soon.

STEVE

So what if it was short....I still had a great time!!!
sfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #242
sfront
Chaos in Motion

Oddometer: 924
A few more random pix..........

Gasser @ 0700.

We're supposed to leave when????

Gasser & Steve

Gary, Raife, Jarrad......

On the beach......sort of.

Takin' a break.....Justin style..

At lunch, looking towards the Mauna Kea Access road.

At the end of day one. Jacaranda Inn, Waimea.
Nancy looks at me and I ask.....
What!!! You expected clean?????

I've been informed that most of my gear comes off here.

These next day two pix are just pure luck.
The Guava tree on day one took out the LCD on my camera, so I'm just pointing in the general direction and hitting the button.
I had no idea what I might get.

Up on the north coast, King Kamehameha's place.

Legend has it that this one standing bolder was stood up by Kamehameha.

The local chain gang......Robert and Justin.

My thoroughly initiated Katoom....

Robert says they don't really have any mud on the Big Island..........
You could make reinforced bricks with this stuff!

And another short video to boot.
Somewhere along the south east coast.........

STEVE

So what if it was short....I still had a great time!!!
sfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #243
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfront

&ampampnbsp
&ampampnbsp
That was a great section along the coast! I guess that's Gasser's local knowledge at work.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #244
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 736
Looks like you guys had a blast!

I hope to ride on that island soon.

Baldness
Old 06-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #245
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Kirk
I hope to ride on that island soon.

Baldness
In the meantime you can go to the Big Island Dual Sport Assn (google it) download an application (if you can spell your name and sign an "X" you're in) and send it back just in case there's a DS ride planned around the time you're here. Never seen the WR-R in action but I assume it'll do at least our Level II stuff w/o issues or complications and if there's no ride scheduled we can point you in the right direction for some fun times.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:24 AM   #246
snoobar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
i just read through all 17 pages and i am happy to see that the DS moto scene is thriving on the islands.

On a similar note, I will be relocating to Oahu (honolulu) 1st of september and i am leaving my old airhead(83 R80 RT) back in portland. I hope to find a KLR on Oahu.......or really on any of the islands.

I was contemplating buying one out here on the mainland ( vegas ) and shipping it out. Any one got recommendations on this process? buy local or ship out?

thanks again for all the great reading and I hope to make some of your acquaintances soon.

s.
snoobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #247
motogon
Like wind

Oddometer: 986
Check this forum out http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawaii/ a lot of info on relocation to islands.
This thread right on subject http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...est-coast.html

BTW: I'm also moving to Maui around end of August. Is anybody here from Maui?

motogon screwed with this post 07-06-2010 at 07:48 AM
motogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #248
snoobar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogon
Check this forum out http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawaii/ a lot of info on relocation to islands.
This thread right on subject http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...est-coast.html

BTW: I'm also moving to Maui around end of August. Is anybody here from Maui?

Thanks for the heads up on the links. I have a fellow chef-friend who lives in Haiku and he and his wife seem to like it.

i'm also looking forward to traversing the other Hawaiian islands and doing some riding.

good luck with your move.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #249
rummyogray
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Laugh KLR in Oahu

I looked at a couple of KLR's at 2 dealers and the OTD price seems to hover at around $7850. My brother recently bought one in California for $5000 OTD and there was a dealer (Livermore CA.) that advertised 3 at $3995 + tax and license. Pasha will ship from San Diego for $525 if you supply the crate $625 without. I may be off a little but my thought was I could buy in California, enjoy a 2 week vacation, ship the bike and have enough money to make the payments for several months. You may have to pay Hawaii GET Tax upon bring it instate, I haven't gotten that far. Just a thought, welcome to the Islands and I hope things work out for you.

BTW, you just got my cherry.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #250
snoobar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummyogray
I looked at a couple of KLR's at 2 dealers and the OTD price seems to hover at around $7850. My brother recently bought one in California for $5000 OTD and there was a dealer (Livermore CA.) that advertised 3 at $3995 + tax and license. Pasha will ship from San Diego for $525 if you supply the crate $625 without. I may be off a little but my thought was I could buy in California, enjoy a 2 week vacation, ship the bike and have enough money to make the payments for several months. You may have to pay Hawaii GET Tax upon bring it instate, I haven't gotten that far. Just a thought, welcome to the Islands and I hope things work out for you.

BTW, you just got my cherry.

thanks for the info. I was curious as to find out how the GET tax would be applied to a used, older( pre 2006) bike? I am currently looking at the Hawaii state dmv site and i may need to give them a call and see how the tax amount is applied to older, used vehicles.

...btw, cheers on your first post!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #251
rummyogray
n00b

GET in Hawaii

I didn't get to far in my bike purchase and don't know about used bikes, but GET here is 4.712 % not a big deal. I still think you can get a newer bike with all the improvements for a reasonable price and ship in. Dual sport bikes here in Oahu are not big sellers and more than likely you will have to special order and wait. Example Honda XR650L, special order only $8500. I don't mean to discourage you, look at all options and think with your wallet. On the other hand if you buy a California bike and things don't work out here, you can always ship back and register there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoobar
thanks for the info. I was curious as to find out how the GET tax would be applied to a used, older( pre 2006) bike? I am currently looking at the Hawaii state dmv site and i may need to give them a call and see how the tax amount is applied to older, used vehicles.

...btw, cheers on your first post!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #252
snoobar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummyogray
I didn't get to far in my bike purchase and don't know about used bikes, but GET here is 4.712 % not a big deal. I still think you can get a newer bike with all the improvements for a reasonable price and ship in. Dual sport bikes here in Oahu are not big sellers and more than likely you will have to special order and wait. Example Honda XR650L, special order only $8500. I don't mean to discourage you, look at all options and think with your wallet. On the other hand if you buy a California bike and things don't work out here, you can always ship back and register there.
I hear what your saying. i've been looking on the hawaii craigslist, all the island options and i have seen a couple of klr's. I would even consider transferring a bike from maui, big island or kauai to oahu.

on another note, you got any neighbourhoods you like?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #253
rummyogray
n00b

The burb's in Oahu

KLR's don't come up in the used market that often; this is Harley country. When you find a DS they are usually beat to death.

I came here in 2003, delivering a sailboat from San Francisco and until last year, my only residence has been Waikiki. I now live in Kahala. Now having said that, Kahala is a very exclusive burg; I just happen to be be the poorest guy in the neighborhood. Kailua, Kaneohe, Manoa there are several good places here, the saying goes " the further east the better". Look on the local Craigslist and you could get a good idea. Please feel free to PM me some contact info and I'll help in any way I can.

Monty
Old 07-07-2010, 01:08 AM   #254
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoobar
I hear what your saying. i've been looking on the hawaii craigslist, all the island options and i have seen a couple of klr's. I would even consider transferring a bike from maui, big island or kauai to oahu.

on another note, you got any neighbourhoods you like?
The '06 Husky 450 on the previous page is for sale, I think he's asking $3,500.00 and there could be some wiggle room, it's on the big island though. There are KLRs out there on all of the islands, shipping new from the Mangeland is a good idea, that's what we do when we buy cars anyway...
Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #255
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
I am moving to the Big Island as soon as possible. To the Puna area. We bought a place in HPP. Possibly as early as about a year from now.

The new motorcycle prices I'm reading here are way high. When we move we won't have to bring furnishings.Just stuff like clothes, my tools, etc.We are planning to bring my motorcycle and my wife's scooter (SYM HD200).I may bring my Sportster, but want a dual sport too.I had been thinking of buying one on the island.We're going over in August (second week) and I plan to go to the Suzuki dealer in Hilo and check it out.Of the Suzukis I would consider the DR200, DRZ400S and the DR650.If I got one of the bigger bikes, then I might not even need the Sportster.But the little DR200 gets fantastic gas mileage, which would be nice.

Also I understand there is a dealer in Kona.I think they sell Honda and Yamaha?? The XT250 would be good.I'm probably a bit short for the big XR650L.

I've ridden for like 48 years and over half of the 24 or so bikes I've owned have been dual sports.

I might prefer an air cooled bike due to the easier maintenance and simpler design.

My wife and I love the Big Island (she is there now for two weeks with my son-I couldn't get the time off!!).

Jon in Puyallup (for a while longer)
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote