ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #271
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b
 
Southest US Thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: As Far South and West as you can get in the USA
Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk
If I were getting a bike specifically for riding Oahu, I wood get a later model KTM 450exc, which is already street legal trails bike.

Like any free advice, you get what you pay for. Hope this is helpful.

Ken
Good advice Ken.

Of the folks I know that ride Oahu, 90% are on 2T's and the rest on converted MX 4T's, street legality isn't even an option cause they only ride trails. About 10 BI folks shipped bikes to Oahu to trail ride last weekend, no 4Ts were sent. The Oahu DS guys I know are on 525's, 530's, and 450's of european decent but they all have 250+ 2T's for serious trail riding. If I were to get an all around bike (minus commuting) I think I'd plate a 2T 200 - 300, Oahu is pretty small and the pavement routes are short but the "Real" trails brutal.

Since Bird is coming to the Big Isle, a plate is worthwhile, my street legal bike is a plated WR250F (not to be confused with the factory plated fuelie 250 X/R). I ride roads to connect trails, Bird is coming to the Puna District where cinder and paved roads are a plenty and will get you to a trail in short order but you can get a ticket if caught. A 200 - 450 2T or 4T will be more than adequate for the Puna and South Hilo Districts, longer range exploring justifies a 400+ 4T, serious trail riding is better suited on a 2T with a truck or trailer. Though I have access to a 530XCW, a plated XR650R, and my plated WR250F, my favorite ride is my Scorpa SY250 because it's cheating in the trails. It really depends on what your riding style/desire is and choosing correctly.

A DRZ400 is a pretty decent compromise, pretty reliable, and maintenace free, had a couple and they met the basic all around requirement.
__________________
It's the Most F5orite Time of the Year!!!
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:39 PM   #272
snoobar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
snoobar's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Las Vegas/ Henderson (formally Honolulu, Hawaii)
Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
Good advice Ken.

Of the folks I know that ride Oahu, 90% are on 2T's and the rest on converted MX 4T's, street legality isn't even an option cause they only ride trails. About 10 BI folks shipped bikes to Oahu to trail ride last weekend, no 4Ts were sent. The Oahu DS guys I know are on 525's, 530's, and 450's of european decent but they all have 250+ 2T's for serious trail riding. If I were to get an all around bike (minus commuting) I think I'd plate a 2T 200 - 300, Oahu is pretty small and the pavement routes are short but the "Real" trails brutal.

Since Bird is coming to the Big Isle, a plate is worthwhile, my street legal bike is a plated WR250F (not to be confused with the factory plated fuelie 250 X/R). I ride roads to connect trails, Bird is coming to the Puna District where cinder and paved roads are a plenty and will get you to a trail in short order but you can get a ticket if caught. A 200 - 450 2T or 4T will be more than adequate for the Puna and South Hilo Districts, longer range exploring justifies a 400+ 4T, serious trail riding is better suited on a 2T with a truck or trailer. Though I have access to a 530XCW, a plated XR650R, and my plated WR250F, my favorite ride is my Scorpa SY250 because it's cheating in the trails. It really depends on what your riding style/desire is and choosing correctly.

A DRZ400 is a pretty decent compromise, pretty reliable, and maintenace free, had a couple and they met the basic all around requirement.

2T & 4T? are you talking about 2 stroke and 4 stroke?
snoobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #273
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b
 
Southest US Thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: As Far South and West as you can get in the USA
Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoobar
2T & 4T? are you talking about 2 stroke and 4 stroke?
Oh yeah!
__________________
It's the Most F5orite Time of the Year!!!
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #274
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer
 
Andyinhilo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoobar
SAWEET! thanks for the clarifications. that makes the possibility of bringing a bike from here out yonder very likely.

one thing though. and let me start by, I apologize if this info is easily found, but how does one on the mainland register a bike with hawaii, when said bike and owner are still on the mainland? or does just the vehicle need to be registered with the purchase state in order to be shipped?

also, this is confusing too.....and i would appreciate some guidance. so, i am a resident of oregon state and i am currently living with family in las vegas up until i move to hawaii. and I am considering a purchase of a used motorcycle with bikes located in southern california (to make it easy for me to ship it with young brothers in san diego). how and where would i register the bike? do i register it with oregon? do i register it with nevada? do i register it with cali.......or can i register it with hawaii?


too many extraneous factors to process.........arghhhh ( i need a beer)
i may be making a mountain out of an ant hill, but i am confused.
If it was me, I would transfer the title wherever I bought the bike, ship it to HI, then register it after I got settled in. Seems to be the simplest way to do it, to me.
__________________
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #275
motogon
Like wind
 
motogon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Philly, PA
Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo
If it was me, I would transfer the title wherever I bought the bike, ship it to HI, then register it after I got settled in. Seems to be the simplest way to do it, to me.
You have 30 days to register vehicle on HI.
__________________
Andrew

motogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #276
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b
 
Southest US Thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: As Far South and West as you can get in the USA
Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo
If it was me, I would transfer the title wherever I bought the bike, ship it to HI, then register it after I got settled in. Seems to be the simplest way to do it, to me.
Good point Andy, IIRC, if it's not in your name you can't ship, only the registered owner can (might be possible with a Bill of Sale or Power of Attorney). The shipping companies check that pretty hard even Young Brothers does for inter-island shipments, something about trafficing in stolen vehicles..... crossing state lines.... etc.....
__________________
It's the Most F5orite Time of the Year!!!
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #277
Gasser
Control crash rider
 
Gasser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 140
Big Island Dual-Sport ride Aug 8th

August 8th Summer Time Rock & Road 150 BBQ ride.

All dirt Rd's & trails in Puna area.

Blue eye's Tony and I will supply the on trail BBQ.

Be at Big Island Power Sport parking lot at 8:00 am or earlier.


Put your Steak & Drink/stuff in the chase truck cooler.

Group leaves @ 8:30 sharp.

The !surprise! BBQ site will be set up somewhere in/on the trail.

~Gasser~

Kona riders> now's the chance to get out of the grey dry Kona Vog side and enjoy the pristine blue/green damp Puna side for a summer ride fun day.


Spiders living on his motorcycle tank

Rubbing a bloated belly, no one to thank
He saw this poster & drew $ from the bank
Got a new bike, his death certificate is blank
Dual-Sport discipline/laughter he does thank
~Gasser~
Attached Images
 
Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #278
Gasser
Control crash rider
 
Gasser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 140
A excellent Hawaii Dual-Sport bike

09 KTM 200 EXCW Light, quick, flickable/pitchable, low center of gravity dependable, user friendly to service, 41 mpg, 80 mph, attack anything, go anywhere Street/Trail tough bike.


At 209 lb dry out of the crate, I porked it out to 229 lb wet...to get it street legal and a'a' lava rock proof...this low center of gravity weight is easy to managed in the most tight and demanding Hawaii trails.


Took me 6 mo to get it dialed in well enough to pick up my rhythm more and start going faster than the crash.

To much power for me> I have for sale on the Hilo side, a street legal 05 Honda CRFX 450.


Having $10,000 worth of every conceivable after market Dual-Sport item inside and out known to man even a Recluse clutch...this sucker hauls ass man!, its 100% Baja race ready with plates. its Cherry.


What's it worth to you?
Attached Images
 
Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #279
snoobar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
snoobar's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Las Vegas/ Henderson (formally Honolulu, Hawaii)
Oddometer: 107
thanks guys for all your help and advice. I am heading out to honolulu this upcoming saturday (the 17th) to find a place to live. I'm going to check out what the local moto market looks like, but i still may consider an import.

thanks again and wish me luck with this move.
snoobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #280
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff
 
wilkinsonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sanford, NC
Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoobar
thanks guys for all your help and advice. I am heading out to honolulu this upcoming saturday (the 17th) to find a place to live. I'm going to check out what the local moto market looks like, but i still may consider an import.

thanks again and wish me luck with this move.
While you're there check in with Sam at Hawaii Rides in Wahiawa and see what they have for used bikes (he used to have a plated 400EXC for sale and is also expert at getting dirt bikes street legal). If you decide to go new, Domenico's in Kaneohe has a good selection of KTM and Yamaha 250s and 450s as well as the big 530. Also check with Cycle City on Nimitz across from the airport, they had a used DRZ400SM if that's your bag. Pflueger in Waipahu sells new Yamaha and Honda.

To the best of my knowledge, there's only one guy on Oahu who does the recon inspection you will need in order to get a dirt bike titled as street legal. I've been told he's a stickler, but I never got my WR450F plated, as I'm moving to virginia where's the rules are more relaxed.

Enjoy your stay. As long as you are respectful to the folks that have lived there for generations, you'll get the same in return. I won't say that I made a bunch of great friends on the Waianae coast, but I had a lot of aquantances and never got the stink-eye except from one flat-bill wearing wanna be ganster.

Enjoy yourself.
Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #281
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer
 
Andyinhilo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
Good point Andy, IIRC, if it's not in your name you can't ship, only the registered owner can (might be possible with a Bill of Sale or Power of Attorney). The shipping companies check that pretty hard even Young Brothers does for inter-island shipments, something about trafficing in stolen vehicles..... crossing state lines.... etc.....
You are exactly correct, Thumper. And though you may have a set amount of time to re-register in Hawaii, we in Law Enforcement would have a difficult time establishing when that thirty days started, if you know what I mean !
__________________
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #282
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b
 
Southest US Thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: As Far South and West as you can get in the USA
Oddometer: 1,994
Okies Ride Waiakea

Had a buddy I hadn't seen in 28 years stop by last Thursday, Chris and his son Christopher popped over to the Big Island while the ladies relaxed on Oahu's beaches. Chris and I lived on the North Shore of Oahu back in the late sixties and early seventies while our fathers were in Viet Nam, we had minibikes, access to a Datsun truck as well as a Vauxhall sedan, and endless miles of sugarcane hauling roads, 10 years old, the world was ours!

Borrowed a WR450F for Chris, a pair of boots for Christopher to use with my 250, and I hopped on Sfront's 530 KTM. Chris tells me he has boots and a helmet, OK, no worries, this is what he shows up in:



Skull cap and pitbike booties.

We load up the bikes Christopher and I will be riding and head out to the Waiakea OHV park after picking up the obligatory permits.



Chris returning from a wrong turn excursion:



The typical Chris smirk says it all:



We had a great time, 25ish miles of riding and that 530 is pretty damm nice, it has the squirt to catch up in a heartbeat and the torque to motor through the slicker stuff with minimal wheel spin, damm fine ride. The day was awesome, a bit humid in the forest, but nobody got hurt and only my 250 suffered any kind of damage. Mahalo to Mike and Sfront for the motorcycle loans!
__________________
It's the Most F5orite Time of the Year!!!
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #283
TourPros
Local wherever I go
 
TourPros's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Hood River, OR
Oddometer: 2,044
Honolulu, Hawaii

I will be landing here after a tour of England, New Zealand and Australia. I am stopping for a day of decompression with out any band members and hopefully a ride. Any recommendations for Honolulu bike rentals or must see ride areas that can be done in a day?

Thanks
__________________
Hell I've been thrown into better places and got friends I ain't even used yet.
Hug those you love often And turn life up !!!
I really like what your are trying to do. I'm just not sure about how you are trying to do it. It's been a pressure working with you and the pleasure was all yours. If you need me I'll call ya..
TourPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #284
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b
 
Southest US Thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: As Far South and West as you can get in the USA
Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourPros
I will be landing here after a tour of England, New Zealand and Australia. I am stopping for a day of decompression with out any band members and hopefully a ride. Any recommendations for Honolulu bike rentals or must see ride areas that can be done in a day?

Thanks
As far as I know Harleys and mopeds are a plenty rental wise on Oahu, there was a BMW place (see below, looks like you'll need your own ATGATT), you can do the Oahu basics in a day, I think there are various ride suggestions in this thread or the "Idahosam goes Hawaiian" thread in PNW. If you want to ride trails over there I don't think you'll find a rental.

Have fun!

__________________
It's the Most F5orite Time of the Year!!!
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #285
TourPros
Local wherever I go
 
TourPros's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Hood River, OR
Oddometer: 2,044
Hmmm

Not much of a Harley guy it looks like Dirt will be out of the question so i just might have to take a cab to closest tiki hut by the water and truly decompress.

Cheers
__________________
Hell I've been thrown into better places and got friends I ain't even used yet.
Hug those you love often And turn life up !!!
I really like what your are trying to do. I'm just not sure about how you are trying to do it. It's been a pressure working with you and the pleasure was all yours. If you need me I'll call ya..
TourPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014