Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #391
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkover1
Anyone on Kaua'i?
Not sure about ADVriders but there are some serious trails and riders over there, last thing I'd ever do is buy a used bike from Kaua'i, they use them to the extreme! The Garden Island has always been a favorite of mine try to go once or twice a year as opposed to all summer during highschool and college. Beautiful place! The Big Island OTOH sux, no riding areas, wet, no infrastructure, no internet access or affordable housing....

Good Luck and welcome back (when you get here).
Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #392
rkover1
doc

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
Not sure about ADVriders but there are some serious trails and riders over there, last thing I'd ever do is buy a used bike from Kaua'i, they use them to the extreme! The Garden Island has always been a favorite of mine try to go once or twice a year as opposed to all summer during highschool and college. Beautiful place! The Big Island OTOH sux, no riding areas, wet, no infrastructure, no internet access or affordable housing....

Good Luck and welcome back (when you get here).
Thanks for the warning!!

Really looking forward to any chance to come home. Had been thinking that I'd have to go back to 'Oahu. Hopefully, now it won't come to that. The other angle I was going to try to work was getting to the Big Island. Still a good second choice, though.

Tanks, eh!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #393
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Easy!

Check out some Kaua'i trails VIDEO

Wasn't there but good viewing!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #394
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
oahu riding

Hey all,
been out here for about 6 weeks with my DR 650. Now that the bike is legally on the road, I want to do some exploring. I know there is Kahuku track, but I was advised to wait until it got dryer. I have a big bike and dual sport tires. I want to be respectful to the land as well. I don't want to go ripping all over sacred land and piss people off. I live on the North shore and am looking for suggestions of where might be good to check out some trails.
Mahalo,
J

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #395
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by newride
I want to be respectful to the land as well. I don't want to go ripping all over sacred land and piss people off. Mahalo,
J
J'ster -

A very noble objective! I sit on the Hawaii Island Trails Advisory Council so I appreciate your concerns! We're fortunate over here (B.I.) to be able to ride any forest road if we're on a "Plated" bike (in some cases you need a permit) but getting a plate is fairly simple if you follow the steps. The neighbor islands likewise hold events that have checked all the appropriate blocks prior to the starter's flag dropping. Our community is very concious of land use/loss issues and makes all neccessary coordination to hold an event.

The DR is a large machine that would have some difficulty navigating the serious trails that are accessible on Oahu or for that matter any of the islands. When I grew up over there there were numerous Cane Haul roads that would have been perfect for DR'ing alas Sugar has not been King for a long time. Search the PNW forum for Idahosam's Hawaii report, he lived on Oahu for 18 or so months and has some riding tips.

Otherwise, ship the DR over here for a week or two of exploring, we'll hook you up!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #396
KevinMTB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
places to check out on Oahu

Newride, you might want to check out Mililani by Waiawa prison. Take Kauka Blvd by Costco and head towards Mililani Cemetery. Take the turn to Waiawa Rd and head towards the prison. Keep an eye on the right side of the road for trails that by-pass the gates that block the dirt roads. If you look on Google Earth, check around 21'26.285" N, 157'58.633" W. There are a few dirt roads to check out and if you head towards the mountains you will get to some trails. There are some other dirt roads to check out above Haleiwa but it is a little more tricky to get in and to go from one ridge to another. Hope this helps.
KevinMTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #397
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by newride
Hey all,
been out here for about 6 weeks with my DR 650. Now that the bike is legally on the road, I want to do some exploring. I know there is Kahuku track, but I was advised to wait until it got dryer. I have a big bike and dual sport tires. I want to be respectful to the land as well. I don't want to go ripping all over sacred land and piss people off. I live on the North shore and am looking for suggestions of where might be good to check out some trails.
Mahalo,
J
Aloha, sounds like you live in the same area as I did. I lived in cement city off Au St. Your going to find riding off road greatly restricted however if you just need to burn off the dirt Jones Ka'ena Point is great for that kind of action. I am really sorry to say I never managed to hook up with KevinMTB as he is a wealth of knowledge for all things dirt on Oahu, if possible meet up with him. The Kahuku is getting more restricted since the military is pouring funds into improvement to training up there.

If you get the chance go to the B.I. much better riding there; I found out the hard way a 650 is just to big for trail riding the tropical elements there a 250 something is where you want to be.

Hi'a SouthEast Thumper , I still pop in from time to time to lurk about I miss the B.I. and right now the weather Please say hi to your mom.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #398
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam
Hi'a SouthEast Thumper , I still pop in from time to time to lurk about I miss the B.I. and right now the weather Please say hi to your mom.
Say Sam! Happy Veteran's Day!!!!

I'm taking today to get the "Laundry Room" stash in shape (I'll be dammed if I'm mowing the lawn on OUR Holiday!!!!), got a D-606 spooned on for Sfront's Katoom and even got the motard wheels shipped out to him! George is coming to ride the XR650R on Monday so I'm gonna kick it over, fill the tires, lube the chain, etc. Gonna be a great ride put on by Gasser on the 21st, BBQ at Ed's place afterwards (striaght down from mom's) part of it is a MK200 planning session, it's gonna happen in 2011!

It's been a bit damp for the last couple of weeks but today is simply awesome!!! We're BBQ'ing with Inge and Walt this afternoon, I'll let em know you sned your aloha.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #399
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam
Aloha, sounds like you live in the same area as I did. I lived in cement city off Au St. Your going to find riding off road greatly restricted however if you just need to burn off the dirt Jones Ka'ena Point is great for that kind of action. I am really sorry to say I never managed to hook up with KevinMTB as he is a wealth of knowledge for all things dirt on Oahu, if possible meet up with him. The Kahuku is getting more restricted since the military is pouring funds into improvement to training up there.

If you get the chance go to the B.I. much better riding there; I found out the hard way a 650 is just to big for trail riding the tropical elements there a 250 something is where you want to be.

Mahalo to you and all for the suggestions! I know where Millialani Cemetary is, so I will do some poking around.
The other thing I have found is that the DR is almost too small for most highways on Oahu. Yikes, the wind! I stay mostly on Kam HWY and stay off major highways. Not going to even try H3 OR Pali HWY. I feel like I will blow right off the road.
Ride safe everyone.
J

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #400
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The poseurs dream ride

Creatively qualifying the SECRET TRAIL X RIDE

I cut some new trail yesterday in the ????????? jungle area macheteing through chest deep Lantana/Guava/Pilau vine tangles linking up mini thick over grown wild Guava tree groves.
Rode the route backwards today (I'm a sworn blood donor so I know the route) key point is to STAY ON THE LINE!!!. Backwards is all uphill, I stalled once and dabbed to the Right, nothing but AIR!!! Not sure how I got off and was able to heave the bike to the left but I was in a three foot deep HOLE and it might have been ugly given the WR's 65 Lbs weight advantage. There are also numerous Pahoehoe Lava CRACKS that will swallow a wheel without a burp, believe me, I found them!!! I shattered a rear brake carrier that had a BRP Shark Fin bolted to it last weekend riding with the G-Man, got a Scott's on before today's ride, it's already chewed.....

Come one, come all, ride the SECRET Trail!!!! I'll be BBQ'ing at the rendevous at the end..... In the full Poseur mode!!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #401
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

X Rated Ride

Sweltering is what it was when the gang linked up in morning, must have been 80 easily with high humidity and not a cloud in the sky or any breeze, I was hoping for rain actually, no dice! Five 450s, a XR650R (oops!) Gasser's 200 and me on my 250 head out on the secret ride. Having ridden a friend's XR650R on the bouncy stuff and stalling it, kicking it, and finally getting it going after 15 sweat filled minutes I'm wondering how that beast is going to handle.

After a few let's hold up and wait for him stops, Dennis and I head back on an extra long one.

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 11-21-2010 at 11:11 PM
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #402
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Sumbeatch is dead, need some thicker thighs to get it going, more guys come back to figure out what's going on.

Trail Boss Gasser comes back to see WTF? Little green box is a battery operated fan that blows up to his nostrils, pansy!

Do some more trails, I'm tail end charlie and get pinned between a root and my bike with my foot facing backwards and the other foot on the other side of the bike, I'm face down and can't budge. Too bad the GoPro was off because I'm sure I was squealing like a baby mongoose as I heard the others ride away...

We get to Ed's house to BBQ and check out his Merican Iron, Cobra Replica.

GT:

Not the biggest group but certainly one of the sweatier rides, good food and company afterwards. I guess the Secret is Out!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #403
Gasser
Control crash rider

Oddometer: 140
Secrte X Trail Ride

SECRET X TRAIL RIDE ate Year="2010" Day="21" Month="11">11/21/10ate>
ate Year="2010" Day="21" Month="11">ate>
ate Year="2010" Day="21" Month="11">Sorry no pic's all were junkate>

Shootzz it’s was a blue beautiful crystal clear Hawaiian sky day on the Hilo side, as five of us riders squirted gas into high compression cylinders leaving Big Island Power sports dual sport Headquarters parking lot heading for SECRET X TRAIL 69 system…riders there had little knowledge of what they were getting them selves into, word must have leaked out of needing motorcycle heroics make it to mile 1, too the no shows that had chicken skin thoughts, you were right, lucky you did not come or we would still be out there on a rescued mission pulling body’s out from under heavy 450 dual sport bikes.

Three more riders, Robert, Steve an Wayne joined into the hard core DS off road six-pack @ mi 10 making our tires and chains do repetitious revolutions hauling our armored clad bodies to trail 69’s grassy entrance into rocks that roll and slippery roots that slide, it was like a classic Dereald Nuez Oahu Hang-on-Riders trail of the good old days, laced with lung pumping surprise sections.

Qualifying rider’s ability to ride these tight technical trails was soon sorted out in the first 200 yards into the four foot tall Orchid, grass, and foot snagging guava tangles covering the pahoehoe lava flow having many hidden rocky up & down detents that will instantly stop you or pull you down into’em because there’s always a big hole just where you have to put your foot down when things go wrong, hopping you don’t get pinned face down by a hot bike like Robert did, just as we all began to ride off, not knowing he has just face planted in the weeds, after helping Pohaku (he fit the name) a new rider on a heavy hard kick to start Honda XR650R, only 200 yards in to the ride he was toasted out from horizontal parking it a few times and exhaustion from picking it up and trying to kick start the big red beast to explode some octane fumes.

Dennis, Wayne and Robert went waaaaay back on the trail to also help kick the gas flooded beast to life, but it would not come to a controlled explosion mechanical breath.

Grant, Steve, Dave and I were cooling down laughing, talking motorcycling story’s as we waited for the catch up’s in the cool shade of a big Pandanis tree, fifteen minutes later we hear a muffled yell of help! from a long distance…riding back we come to five sweating wiped out riders with slumped shoulders and heads hanging down from doing the 650 kick start shuffle, with out shade in 80 degree heat, 80 humidity…Steve the only pro ride there got the beast to snort out some big bangs quickly with his 4 stroke experience, and rode the 650 out for the guy. I’ve seen Steve rescue lots of riders in some kind of bind (got to love that Bruddah)

After only 7 tenths of a mile of Shootzzzzz whoa! riding, four riders yelled ‘Uncle’, by passing the next 2 sections that consisted of tight bar wiggling guava sections, wet slippery Halala fronds covering big block rocks & roots section, four foot deep scrub brush connector sections were used to work our way toward ‘Skitters Rule Mango Grove’ for more technical riding where the pig’s frolic in the damp mosquito infested jungle whose trail we are riding on with tire spinning fun.

Up a rocky 4WD road for a short distance, we come upon the stealth entrance to ‘Grunt Trail’, right off, having to duck under Banyan tree limbs as the front wheel drops straight down four feet unto Florida obesity seized Python Boa Constrictor Banyan roots coursing in all directions that will put you into a predicament you never had the experience of, as riders having to get their wheels un-stuck from big root channeled got’cha’s, also having to duck under a limb at the same time climbing up a rocky 6 ft ledge with a 90 degree turn at the top with a 1” guava sapling right there to snag the front wheel making the rider get off and lift his rolling hulk 450 once again, getting cut short of some needed lung power it will take to continue on as we bust into tall thick brush growing on an old Pahoehoe lava flow with lots of “hit it hard hit it fast” throttle and clutch burst it takes to drop down into crevices with grass hidden rocks and ricochet off’em abruptly up through thick guava tangled brush into tall grassy foot wide only trail laced with many drop inn’s or off’s, each one demanding a no second guessing proving the ‘faster than the crash’ theory to keep up the controlled crash rock ricocheting momentum working in your wheels gyro upright gravity favor.

Horizontal gravity got to Grant’s full on Baja CRFX 450 race bike as he twisted the gas to much, spitting him off into the wild Orchids an weeds ripping off his EPIC helmet video cam, plus having to grunt that 280 lb bike upright…’Grunt Trail’ lived up to it’s name once again…good MK200 training I say.

Down a long dirt road we got to the rock & roll section, I told the riders to follow my line, as the five of us blipped over, up, down an around the radical rocky wheel de-tenting surface in close synchrony duck bobbing and weaving our way through the tire flatting rocky mind field heading for an Iron Wood tree forest growing on big 20 ft cinder mounds covered in ferns and wild orchids, being next section a half mile ahead.

Five of us used my stealth entrance into this unique SECRET X TRAIL Iron Wood forest section that few have ridden and some that won’t because at the end there’s the Vagisil Hill being a 25 ft 80 degree drop off exit into a’a’/cinder/iron wood trees at the bottom…it’s a tight fit down there if all goes as planed…my plan failed me last week when I crashed to the bottom as Robert watched me wad up into the rocks with a stuck WFO throttle before I could grunt myself up on two feet to get over and shut it off before the piston embed it's self into the gas tank…this is when having on good solid riding gear pays off, you can laugh and walk away and a well prepped bike can take the hit's.

Not wanting anyone to get hurt dropping off Vagisil hill today, I took the riders a different trail out through abandon over grown Papaya fields headed for a gas pit stop…from there we got on a long dirt road heading for the BBQ to replenish SECRET X TRAIL 69’s energy sucked nuked out calories and bench race laugh the day’s ride between mouths full of ono grinds…one of the many good perks of Dual Sport’en.

All in all I got to hand it to Dave and Grant who hung with me every time I looked back for a body count they were there, these guy’s have not ridden but a few times this year, panting for breath (in their 50’s) they said this ride was so much fun plus a good work out to get back into Mauna Kea 200 shape like the good old day’s, now they will be off road riding every weekend...like pro rider Steve Lau, best guy you can ride with when things go wrong, you can watch him do it right…my kind of brother.

Also at the BBQ were the core of 30 years of solid Rock Island Riders discussing world class 2011 Mauna Kea 200 trail details and all that it takes to pull off this monumental task that brings kala into the state of Hawaii…got to love these guy’s/gal’s, if you want to get in with the off road motorcycle racing inn crowd, this is the time and place to team up with some real special one of a kind folks that go the extra 200 miles to put on a world class event with a Hawaii Aloha Spirit welcoming.

More info;
WayneBlyth 961-3033
Ed Ung 937-6363
Tony Ferreira 961-4405

~Gasser~

Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #404
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser
SECRET X TRAIL RIDE ate Month="11" Day="21" Year="2010">11/21/10ate>
ate Month="11" Day="21" Year="2010">ate>
there’s the Vagisil Hill being a 25 ft 80 degree drop off exit into a’a’/cinder/iron wood trees at the bottom…it’s a tight fit down there if all goes as planed…my plan failed me last week when I crashed to the bottom as Robert watched me ~Gasser~

That's why I prefer the line to the right, same amount of drop, same angle, but with ironwood needles providing the Impact Reduction... Almost worked that day, at least I didn't kiss Terra Firma!!!! Too bad the GoPro wasn't mounted and on!

Call/PM me, I have a friend's truck so I'll haul you up to that other riding place that get's ridden on other weekends.....
Old 11-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #405
Chris6_85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
i will be over there in lahina for two weeks after christmas and was wondering if there is any rental companys that offer single track motorcycle tours. my brother in law and i would be interested in this if there is such a thing. i ride weekly here in washington, places with some real nasty single track. and seen some sweet videos of the trails there on maui. and would love the oppurtunity to see some terrain over there on maui near lahina. pm if u all have any links

thankyou

chris
Chris6_85 is offline   Reply With Quote