Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2008, 11:24 PM   #31
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
Cool crater shot, guess I should send over my snowboard.
Is the texture like sierra cement when it sits for a while?
Turns decent enough after the sun hits it for a while though.

Probably an opportunity for a powder day or 2 if you time a after storm trip right?
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #32
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,991
You have to be on top of it to get powder, many moons ago there wasn't anybody "Looking out for your Safety" and you could basically go up when you wanted. These days they control the road access until they have it cleared before they open up to the public, there's usually a melt n freeze cycle or two involved before they open up.

Bring a beater board cuz you're gonna scrape some rocks sooner than later!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:24 AM   #33
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
You have to be on top of it to get powder, many moons ago there wasn't anybody "Looking out for your Safety" and you could basically go up when you wanted. These days they control the road access until they have it cleared before they open up to the public, there's usually a melt n freeze cycle or two involved before they open up.

Bring a beater board cuz you're gonna scrape some rocks sooner than later!!!
Thanks for the info. Too bad about the road closings.
Would love to load up a few crazy people in the E350 4x for a powder day.

Found this link, brining MTBs too, any opinions on these 10 rides?
Are any of them no engine or hiker only trails?

Thanks for all your info, sounds like you have been on the big island for a while.
---
Listed below are 10 of the most popular biking trails, according to the Big Island Mountain Bike Association, along with brief descriptions of each trail's features.

Walua Road - (less than 1 hour) A beginner-level trail, 3.2 miles one way, with a 600' elevation change. The road is paved and generally uphill with some local traffic. Highlights include ocean views and tropical landscapes.

Pine Trees - (1 hours) A beginner-level trail, 6.4 miles round-trip, with no elevation change. Most of the trail is on a sandy beach road.
Pohue Road - (less than 1 hour) A trail for people of all biking expertise levels, 5 miles one-way downhill, with a 1500' elevation change. The trail features varying terrain and views of Maui and open ranch lands. The trail can be accessed from Makai and Mauka.

Old Puna Trail - (3-4 hours) An advanced-level trail, 10 miles one-way, with no major elevation change. This is a rough trail through tropical landscape. The trail can be accessed from Hawaiian Paradise Park (Puna) and Hilo.

Mana Road - (6-8 hours) An intermediate/advanced-level trail, 45 miles one-way, with a 3500' elevation change. The trail is along a dirt and gravel road curving around Mauna Kea. It offers great views and can be accessed from the Saddle Road and Waimea.

Kulani Trails - These are intermediate/advanced-level trails which are essentially a network of technical, single-track trails. The terrain is rough.

Volcano - All paved park roads in Volcano are open to bikes. See the National Park description below for more details.

Ainapo - (3 hours) An intermediate/advanced-level trail, 9 miles one-way uphill, with a 2800' elevation change. The trail is along a dirt and grass double track and ends at the Ainapo trailhead, where summit climbs to Mauna Loa begin.

Kilohana - (1 hours) A beginner/intermediate-level trail, 10.5 miles one-way, with no elevation change. Winding along a mostly rough gravel and dirt road, the trail offers great views from an elevation of over 7000'.

Beach Road - (1 hours) A beginner/intermediate-level trail, 21 miles round-trip, with no elevation change. The trail offers an easy ride on dirt roads through tropical landscape.

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is perfectly suited for biking at all levels of expertise. Exploring the main attractions off Crater Rim Drive by bike is a good alternative to driving, as the road is good and traffic is light. More challenging trails in the park are longer and feature rougher terrain and larger elevation changes.

Below we list some trails in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, as excerpted from the National Parks Service descriptions.

Circle the Rim - (1-2 hours) A circular trail of moderate difficulty, 11 miles long, with a 400' elevation change. The trail circles the Kilauea Caldera crater on a paved road with automobile traffic. Many side hiking trips and points of interest are accessible from the biking trail.

Escape to Mauna Ulu - (2-3 hours) This challenging circular trail is 12.5 miles long, with an 800' elevation change. The trail's name comes from the road's having been built as an escape route during lava flows. It is unpaved and suitable only for mountain bikes.

Overlook Hilina Pali - (3-4 hours) This is a moderately difficult trail, 18 miles long round-trip, with a 1400' elevation change. This narrow, paved road winds downhill over small fault scarps and old lava flows through the Ka'u Desert to the Hilina Pali Overlook. The overlook at the road's end offers views 2,000' down to the coastal flats. This area can be hot, dry, and windy. Note that the return leg uphill presents quite a vigorous climb.

Ride Ainahou Ranch - (1-2 hours) A challenging trail, 5.7 miles long round-trip, with an 800' elevation change. With great views of the coastal plain, this route can be very hot and dry. Notably, the return leg uphill presents quite a vigorous climb.

Summit to Sea - (2-6 hours) A challenging trail, 40 miles long round-trip, with a 3700' elevation change. The trails descend from the Kilauea Caldera crater's rim almost all the way down to the Pacific Ocean on the Chain of the Craters Road, which is paved and open to automobile traffic. Short detours can be made to various crater overlooks during the first few miles of the road. The trail offers great views of the coastal plain as the road crosses, and is eventually cut off by, massive lava flows. The return leg uphill is difficult.
Ups and Downs of Mauna Loa - (2-4 hours up, 45 min. down) A challenging trail, 27 miles long round-trip, with a 2600' elevation change. The trail follows a paved, one-lane road up the slopes of Mauna Loa, through the Koa woodlands, and over prehistoric lava flows. The road ends at an elevation of 6,662' (2,031 m), where, weather permitting, you will be rewarded with a panoramic view of Kilauea. Watch your speed as you descend the narrow curvy road, as cars often cut blind corners, and as it is difficult to negotiate the hairpin turns. There are a few side trips you can take from this route, the longest of which is three miles long round-trip.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #34
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

MTB Trails

Kulani Forest, Friday ride rain or shine every Friday, Chris at Hilo Bike Hub is the main culprit, generally don't ride MC's in there out of respect to the MTB crew that maintains the trails. The OHV park is right up the road and we're opening up some routes up to it about 7-8 miles up the road.

Hawaii Volcano Nat'l Park, the mellower trails are now open to MTBs absolutely no MCs, in the old days we'd do Ninja MTB Runs through the Park Hiking trails, wife works there now so no civil disobedience for me...

Mana Road, basically a firebreak type road that goes along the eastern side of Mauna Kea, OK for motorcycles, can go WFO!!!!

Beach Road is pretty good and leads to other good opportunities for MCs, mellow for MTBs.

Old Puna Road if you can find it is brutal after the first mile and a half, I've never done it but heard stories of guys getting helicoptered out after spending the night... Check It Here

Mud Lane just east of Waimea is nice single track for MTBs and MCs.

I'll think of some more and let you know.

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 12-17-2008 at 08:25 PM
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #35
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Thanks man, appreciate the info.
Sounds like there are good number of choices to ride.
Happy to hear some of the trails in the Volcano park are bike friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
Kulani Forest, Friday ride rain or shine every Friday, Chris at Hilo Bike Hub is the main culprit, generally don't ride MC's in there out of respect to the MTB crew that maintains the trails. The OHV park is right up the road and we're opening up some routes up to it about 7-8 miles up the road.

Hawaii Volcano Nat'l Park, the mellower trails are now open to MTBs absolutely no MCs, in the old days we'd do Ninja MTB Runs through the Park Hiking trails, wife works there no so no civil disobedience for me...

Mana Road, basically a firebreak type road that goes along the eastern side of Mauna Kea, OK for motorcycles, can go WFO!!!!

Beach Road is pretty good and leads to other good opportunities for MCs, mellow for MTBs.

Old Puna Road if you can find it is brutal after the first mile and a half, I've never done it but heard stories of guys getting helicoptered out after spending the night... Check It Here

Mud Lane just east of Waimea is nice single track for MTBs and MCs.

I'll think of some more and let you know.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #36
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawidual
Thanks man, appreciate the info.
Sounds like there are good number of choices to ride.
Happy to hear some of the trails in the Volcano park are bike friendly.
I just spent the weekend over on the big island..be aware that the VOG is pretty bad on most days in Volcano these days.... I know that I would not want to spend a lot of time doing any real hard physical activity in the area.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #37
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x
I just spent the weekend over on the big island..be aware that the VOG is pretty bad on most days in Volcano these days.... I know that I would not want to spend a lot of time doing any real hard physical activity in the area.
Good Point!

Fortunately there was a decent tremor about two weeks ago that shut down the Plume coming out of Halema'uma'u. The beauty of living in Hilo is that %90 of the times the winds are out of the NE and blow the vog south and west. Currently we've been in a SW "Kona Wind" pattern and it's keeping the vog on the east side (that's the other %10 of the time).

Bummer for the folks south and west of HI Volcanoes Nat'l Park %90 of the time though.....

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 12-17-2008 at 08:24 PM
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:10 AM   #38
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
Dunno how I missed this thread, but I'm here in Hilo too. I guess we do need a Hawaii subforum. 1+ to all of Southest US thumper's comments!

Robert, how was the thunder this am at your place? at about 0450 I thought a tree fell on the house, it was so bad. The poor pup was really flippin' out.

Andy
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #39
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo
Robert, how was the thunder this am at your place? at about 0450 I thought a tree fell on the house, it was so bad. The poor pup was really flippin' out.

Andy
Holy Shamoly!!!! We had one so close that all the smoke detectors beeped right before the Slash with a boom right on top of it! Not as bad as a couple of years back when the telephone pole out front took a direct hit.

The Mountains are covered in snow, way below treeline on eastern Mauna Kea and around 10K on Mauna Loa too. If it weren't for a friend's daughter's 1st B-day luau tomorrow I'd head up and get some picks of the WR in the snow.

They have the Makaha Sons playing the luau or I'd shine the luau on.....
Old 12-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #40
Rascus
The Realist

Oddometer: 419
Did any of you lose power yesterday in that storm? All of freaking Oahu did. Lost it for about 8hr or so, pretty lucky, considering.
Rascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #41
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascus
Did any of you lose power yesterday in that storm? All of freaking Oahu did. Lost it for about 8hr or so, pretty lucky, considering.
I wonder how Obama fared during the power outage, under control i would image. Just another great day in Kailua.
ed
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #42
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascus
Not at our joint in high low.

It amazes me how poor and non-redundant the Oahu Gird is, how the hell can one bolt shut down an island of 900K+?????? They suffered the same thing after the earthquake.....

Lucky we live Hilo!!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #43
benis12
pack light, do more.

Oddometer: 11
Ideas for daytrip?

Looking to rent a bike (thinking Big Kahuna Rentals, since I'll be staying in Waikiki) and am wondering if anyone has any good ideas for daytrip rides.

Anything I should absolutely not miss out on? Any good multi-destination daytrips? Any nice alternatives to the Kam highway?

Mahalo!

Ben
benis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #44
Rascus
The Realist

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by benis12
Looking to rent a bike (thinking Big Kahuna Rentals, since I'll be staying in Waikiki) and am wondering if anyone has any good ideas for daytrip rides.

Anything I should absolutely not miss out on? Any good multi-destination daytrips? Any nice alternatives to the Kam highway?

Mahalo!

Ben
Best trip really is just to do the whole around the island ride. Start out west going on H1 to H2 north. Alternative and slower pace would be to take Kam highway all the way up to Schofield.

Once you get past that you can either go right to North shore or left to Wailua, i'd take that way. Have to be careful on that road (called "snake" road) a LOT of road deflectors on that road so if you run wide you're going to hit them. Then take the road all the way out past Dillingham airfield till the end.

The rest of the road around the island is a simple one lane each way road till you get back down to Kaneohe.
Rascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #45
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by benis12

Mahalo!

Ben
Ben-

As passed to other ADVriders:

Oahu is pretty small, you could base out of Town (Waikiki) and day ride the whole place in six hours. To break it up look for vacation rentals in Kailua for one night and ride the windward side, then another vacation on the North Shore (Pupukea, Sunset, Haleiwa) and cruise country oughta be some significant surf.

When in town Tantalus Drive is a must, twisty Supermoto heaven, watch out for wet corners though, on the west side see if you can get a ride through Kolekole Pass (you can also get there through Schofield Barracks) it's way worth it awesome views and nice twisties, on the north shore Pupukea is a nice ride up into the hills, from Kailua take the Pali Hwy towards town, just after the Kamehameha Hwy merge take a right and ride the old Pali Road or turn left at the intersection and ride through Maunawili, from downtown Honolulu go up the Pali Hwy and turn right onto the Nuuanu Pali Road (again watch out for wet corners), the H-3 from/to Kaneohe is just Hwy but nice views especially heading windward, the circle island tour past Koko Head and Honauma Bay along the coast to Sandy Beach is sweet, continue on to Makapuu and Sea Life Park.

Please head the wet corners advice, I learned the hard way too many times as a n00b on my '79 RD400F.....

Enjoy your stay!!!!

PS: You could possibly do the Super Ferry to Maui for a day ride.

Enjoy your stay, spend Tons of $$$$, and don't get caught in the wrong hunt on Hotel Street!!!