Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #106
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Kirk
Hello everyone,

The game plan is to limit myself myself to one motorcycle It seems to me that I don't need a big bike for the kind of riding I will be doing so I am leaning towards a Yamaha WR250X. My second choice would be a Suzuki DRZ400SM. As you guys know these bikes also come in a dual sport version. Which version would you choose? I am not sure how much dirt riding there is on the island so I am leaning towards the street versions.

Thanks!
Kirk
There's a good Oahu Supermoto contingent here: SMJ and there's a brand new '08 WR250X for sale on Craig's List from a Kona Dealer for under $4,500.00. I used to have a DRZ-S with a spare set of 17's over here on the big island and it was a good and solid all around bike! That said I now have a plated WR250F with a set of 17's and it's awesome on the trails and the shorter road rides but miss the DRZ for the longer road hauls between twisties. You might be happier with the 400, two set's of wheels, and some jetting (or carb) changes.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #107
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Next Big Island DS Ride

This next one is going to be awesome! Looking at 175 miles of dirt and slab, the best part of the slab will be riding down the Haumakua Coast along the old roads and train track alignments. Check the Big Island Dual-Sports website for the route.

The weather man says: SUNDAY: Partly sunny with scattered showers. Highs 66 to 84. Light winds becoming east up to 10 mph in the late morning and afternoon. Gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent. (and IMHO means 50% chance it'll be dry and given the route there's no way it'll be wet everywhere.)

If you live on this rock and have a plated bike you won't want to miss this one!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:43 PM   #108
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Where the Hell Was Everybody?!?!?!

Awesome day, the weather was Perfect the whole day!!!!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #109
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Great Hamakua Ride

As advertised, the fellahs at the Big Island Dual Sports Assn. put together an awesome ride last Sunday. My day started with making a decision between riding the Motard to maximize the fun of the coastal route on the way home or riding a friend's BRP to maximize the Keanakolu/Mana Rd. top Speed:

I settled on George's BRP, with the exception of a DRZ-S and Wayne's 450 Husky all of the other rides were plated Enduros or MX bikes (CRF-X's, WR's, YZ's) about 10 bikes in all. The XR650R get's a bit of attention from the boys and that lack of a Magic Button isn't lost on anyone, this was my first ride on it and I was a bit apprehensive about starting, shouldn't have been, it runs like a champ.

View at the start of the dirt, Keanakolu/Mana Rd. is a good 42 miles or so of this:

(The trucks at the bottom brought some sort of unpowered nylon flying machine out for a little Sunday morning practice session.)

Here's the route, 170 miles, probably a third dirt maybe more:

A required flat tire:

A gate wait:

When we got to Waimea, the first town on the ride, I broke off and went to ride a Side by Side with another friend. That thing was a blast to whip around the double tracks with and the ride is pretty amazingly smooth and the off-road ability in low range with the diffs locked is pretty hard to believe (we did get it up on 2 and 1/2 wheels at one point but the rubber side stayed down).

Thanks to Wayne and the crew for organizing this one!

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 09-01-2009 at 09:56 PM
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:26 AM   #110
Advrider13
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Howdy

Just wanted to stick my neck out and say hello to all the hawaii riders out there. Looks like this thread is geared more to big island happenings. Are there any group rides or anything going on over here on Oahu?
Advrider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #111
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advrider13
Just wanted to stick my neck out and say hello to all the hawaii riders out there. Looks like this thread is geared more to big island happenings. Are there any group rides or anything going on over here on Oahu?
Hey Lucky 13, yeah, I kind of hijacked this thread with Big Island posts, take a good look though there are some guys on Oahu (Poor Bastads) and there's a pretty hardcore group of trail riders based out of Kahuku there too (don't apply unless you got a 250 Two Smoke and serious stamina). Search the Cali forum, there's a thread about Hawaii Riders Checking In where you'll see a bunch of folks.

Welcome! And if you make it over here give me a shout.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #112
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 738
Hey guys,

As I type this I am sitting in my empty house using my cell phone as a modem for my laptop. I am waiting for a truck to come and pick up my wife's 4Runner and ship it off. This is the last loose end before my family and I jump on a plane tomorrow morning headed for Honolulu.

Let the adventure begin. Once I get my new bike I'll let you guys know. Maybe someone could show me around the island.

Kirk

Bald Kirk screwed with this post 09-16-2009 at 01:06 PM
Bald Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #113
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Maybe someone could show me around the island.

Kirk
Kirk -

The Oahu guys are connecting here: Concrete Jungle Riders there's a few of them that ought to be able to show you aboot. The Super Ferry is dead but there is a still relatively inexpensive inter-island barge system for when you want to get to the neighbor islands.

Safe travels!

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 09-19-2009 at 12:10 PM
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #114
motogon
Like wind

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Hey guys,

As I type this I am sitting in my empty house using my cell phone as a modem for my laptop. I am waiting for a truck to come and pick up my wife's 4Runner and ship it off. This is the last loose end before my family and I jump on a plane tomorrow morning headed for Honolulu.

Let the adventure begin. Once I get my new bike I'll let you guys know. Maybe someone could show me around the island.

Kirk
Hey Kirk!

Are you on island already?

motogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #115
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogon
Hey Kirk!

Are you on island already?
Yes the family and I are getting settled in. We will be moving into our new home in the next few weeks.

After we get settled there is a new Yamaha in my future.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #116
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
After we get settled there is a new Yamaha in my future.
E Komo Mai!

Please, do tell.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #117
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
E Komo Mai!

Please, do tell.
Hey!

So before I moved from the mainland I had a 2007 KTM Super Duke, 1996 Honda CRE260 enduro and a 2001 KTM 400sx with a tag on it. I was pretty well set up but I decided to sell all the bikes rather than paying to ship them over here.

I am looking for one bike that I can ride on the street and dirt. After being here for a while and getting a feel for the place I am leaning towards a WR250R. It will be a compromise on the street and dirt but I think it will be a great bike for this island.

There is a dealer here who has offered me a good deal on a leftover 2008.

Kirk
Old 10-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #118
motogon
Like wind

Oddometer: 1,000
You may also get SuMo wheels for that Yamaha.

motogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #119
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
BK,

send off a PM sometime if you'd like to get out for a sail - I have 2 good sailboats that I keep in town.

Dan
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:20 PM   #120
hiflynbrd
I know that shortcut

Oddometer: 90
Been working on Oahu since April and now getting close to going to the mainland in about a month. Been riding a DRZ400S which will be for sale in a couple of weeks. Any interest, gimme a PM.
04 Ducati 999S, 12 Versys, 08 Can-Am Spyder-SOLD, thank God, , 93 ST1100ABS 132K, 99 ST1100ABS project cafe racer, 93 KLR650, 04 XR650R street legal, 04 CRF500R street legal, 98 KTM 620 Supermoto street legal-SOLD at the suggestion of Honolulu PD, 04 DRZ400S, 82 Turbo Seca (x2), -placed in a good home, 04, ~78 Yambulzukisaki hybrid, and oh so many others
hiflynbrd is offline   Reply With Quote