Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 AM   #181
Wildabeast
Wide Open

Oddometer: 226
Nice to hear you arrived in Fla., and have a good performance! Hoping you continue to keep up with the report despite your busy schedule. It's always a very good read.

Stay cool.

Wildabeast
Wildabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #182
Bugman98
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Holy Cow! I've just spent the last 2.5 hrs reading the rest of your RR. So fun! I liked the picture of you with the gun and the viola. Glad to hear you made it to FL safely. I'll catch up with you soon!
Bugman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:38 AM   #183
stege
Wonderer

Oddometer: 287
Thumb

Bloody awesome mate! I envy you! And I dont think im the only one
Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #184
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Here's some interesting media from the last couple of days:

Yo-Yo was rumored to play the inaguration ceremony on his carbon fiber cello, but he was obviously playing a "traditional" instrument for the actual event. At any rate this article was forwarded to me:

Yo-Yo Ma busts out cold resistant carbon fiber cello for Obama's inauguration
Watch for famous cellist Yo-Yo Ma during President-Elect Barack Obama's inauguration and you may get a glimpse of his carbon fiber cello.
Considering carbon fiber also goes into such high tech marvels as fighter jets and spacecraft (and Sony's laptops), are you surprised a man who knows his stuff would embrace one of these new-fangled instruments? Apparently, they play better in the cold. Ma especially has to be careful with his usual $2 million instrument — I'd have a few backups, too.
From designer Luis Leguia's website:
The shape of the Luis & Clark cello makes it easier to play. It is played closer to the body so the bow arm does not have to be so high at the point of the A string, thus reducing one of the causes of the "sore shoulder syndrome." There is no sharp edge from the cello neck rubbing against the musician's chest, making this cello more comfortable to play. This instrument uses very little ebony, reducing demand of this endangered tree species.
That doesn't sound so bad, and, hey — it looks pretty cool, too.
Luis & Clark, via New York Times, via Book of Joe

It's too bad he didn't go through with it, it would've been INCREDIBLE advertising for Luis and Clark and it would spread awareness of the instruments.

ALSO, the local Valdosta newpaper ran a little announcment of my performance here which is this evening at 5:30 (there's a picture of me on a mountain top with the Black Death, but I don't think it'll link in here):

Viola recital: Diekman at VSU
VSU Music presents concert today

The Valdosta Daily Times

VALDOSTA — Valdosta State University Music hosts a guest artist recital featuring Matthew H. Diekman on viola at 7:30 p.m. today in Whitehead Auditorium. Admission is free.

The concert also features accompanying performances by Maila Gutierrez Springfield, piano, and M. Brent Williams, violin. Works include “Concerto for viola, strings & continuo in G major” by G. P. Telemann; “Duo in G major for violin and viola, kv. 423” by W. A. Mozart; Suite no. 1, BWV 1007” by J.S. Bach; “Sonata in C minor for viola and piano” by Felix Mendelssohn.
Diekman, nicknamed “Diek,” began playing violin at a very young age to compete with his musical siblings.
After entering college, he met the legendary Wayne Crouse, former principal violist of the Houston Symphony, and was convinced to make the switch to viola.
Since the conversion, Diek has played with the Oklahoma City Philharmonic, Tulsa Philharmonic, Dallas Opera, San Antonio Symphony, and Sarasota Opera and was recently named Principal Violist of the Tucson Symphony.
He was a founding member of the Crouse Quartet (in Oklahoma), a string quartet named after his former teacher, is a member of the Animas Chamber Ensemble (in Colorado) and has participated in many summer festivals across the country, such as the Aspen Music Festival, Round Top Music Festival, and Brevard Advanced Chamber Music Program and has served as the principal violist of the Utah Festival Opera Company.
As a chamber musician, he’s been invited to perform with the Cactus Pear Music Festival, Olmos Ensemble, Walden Chamber Music Society, Musical Offerings, Austin Chamber Music Society, and others and is the director of the San Antonio Tuesday Music Club String Ensemble.
He has studied with the principal violists of many of the nation’s top orchestras, such as the Houston Symphony, Dallas Symphony, and Boston Symphony Orchestra. He has a Masters of Music in Performance from the University of Oklahoma and an Artist Certificate in Viola from Southern Methodist University.
He is an active and enthusiastic music teacher to all ages, and enjoys a healthy freelance career as well.
Perhaps his greatest honor is to own and to perform on the very instrument with which his former teacher, Wayne Crouse, built his long playing career on.
Having a taste for adventure, Diekman has recently combined his love of motorcycle travel with music making thanks to the invention of a carbon-fiber viola, which is suited for the rigors of outdoor cross-country travel.
viola-tor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #185
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,950
Laugh You've been viola-ted girly mon!

Excellent resume'/write-up Diek!

BTW... In an attempt to emulate your bad-assness I purchased an orange 990 Adventure.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #186
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
Excellent resume'/write-up Diek!

BTW... In an attempt to emulate your bad-assness I purchased an orange 990 Adventure.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!! Congratulations, you won't regret it for a second. Lookin' good, you picked the right color in my opinion. Pretty soon we'll have all the same gear, same tent, bike... now you'll just have to pick up a carbon fiber instrument.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #187
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Another update: I'm not sure how I feel about this news about the inauguration performance with Itzhak and Yo-Yo:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/ar...d.html?_r=3&hp

The Frigid Fingers Were Live, but the Music Wasn’t

Ron Edmonds/Associated Press
Itzhak Perlman, left, Gabriela Montero and Yo-Yo Ma, with Anthony McGill, not pictured, performed a new piece composed by John Williams at the inauguration ceremony Tuesday.
The somber, elegiac tones before President Obama’s oath of office at the inauguration on Tuesday came from the instruments of Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman and two colleagues. But what the millions on the Mall and watching on television heard was in fact a recording, made two days earlier by the quartet and matched tone for tone by the musicians playing along.
The players and the inauguration organizing committee said the arrangement was necessary because of the extreme cold and wind during Tuesday’s ceremony. The conditions raised the possibility of broken piano strings, cracked instruments and wacky intonation minutes before the president’s swearing in (which had problems of its own).
“Truly, weather just made it impossible,” Carole Florman, a spokeswoman for the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, said on Thursday. “No one’s trying to fool anybody. This isn’t a matter of Milli Vanilli,” Ms. Florman added, referring to the pop band that was stripped of a 1989 Grammy because the duo did not sing on their album and lip-synched in concerts.
Ms. Florman said that the use of a recording was not disclosed beforehand but that the NBC producers handling the television pool were told of its likelihood the day before.
The network said it sent a note to pool members saying that the use of recordings in the musical numbers was possible. Inaugural musical performances are routinely recorded ahead of time for just such an eventuality, Ms. Florman said. The Marine Band and choruses, which performed throughout the ceremony, did not use a recording, she said.
“It’s not something we would announce, but it’s not something we would try to hide,” Ms. Florman said. “Frankly, it would never have occurred to me to announce it. The fact they were forced to perform to tape because of the weather did not seem relevant, nor would we want to draw attention away from what we believed the news is, that we were having a peaceful transition of power from one administration to the next.”
Anthony McGill, a principal clarinetist of the Metropolitan Opera, and the pianist Gabriela Montero joined Mr. Ma and Mr. Perlman in “Air and Simple Gifts,” a piece written for the occasion by John Williams. While not all music critics agreed about the quality of the piece, some took note of the frigid circumstances for the performers. And the classical music world was heartened by the prominent place given to its field.
Mr. Perlman said the recording, which was made Sunday at the Marine Barracks in Washington, was used as a last resort.
“It would have been a disaster if we had done it any other way,” he said Thursday in a telephone interview. “This occasion’s got to be perfect. You can’t have any slip-ups.”
The musicians wore earpieces to hear the playback.
Performing along to recordings of oneself is a venerable practice, and it is usually accompanied by a whiff of critical disapproval. Famous practitioners since the Milli Vanilli affair include Ashlee Simpson, caught doing it on “Saturday Night Live,” and Luciano Pavarotti, discovered lip-synching during a concert in Modena, Italy. More recently, Chinese organizers superimposed the voice of a sweeter-singing little girl on that of a 9-year-old performer featured at the opening ceremony of last summer’s Olympic Games.
In the case of the inauguration, the musicians argued that the magnitude of the occasion and the harsh weather made the dubbing necessary and that there was no shame in it.
“I really wanted to do something that was absolutely physically and emotionally and, timing-wise, genuine,” Mr. Ma said. “We also knew we couldn’t have any technical or instrumental malfunction on that occasion. A broken string was not an option. It was wicked cold.”
Along with admiration for the musicians’ yeoman work in the cold, questions had swirled in the classical music world about whether Mr. Ma and Mr. Perlman would use their valuable cello and violin in the subfreezing weather. Both used modern instruments. Mr. Ma said he had considered using a hardy carbon-fiber cello, but rejected the idea to avoid distracting viewers with its unorthodox appearance.
“What we were there for,” he said, “was to really serve the moment.”

I assumed they had floor heaters or something keeping them warm. I've played in near-freezing temperatures and it ain't pretty! Honestly I was fooled and impressed while watching. They're pretty convincing even when "lip-syncing." I'd heard of that Pavorotti incident and watched it on youtube several times, and again, it was a great job of "faking it." It's kinda interesting that even artists at the highest level of music making are, in this case, admitting to being eye-candy...

Here's another linked article about the Luis and Clark CF instruements:

Cold Case: The Sound of Carbon for Yo-Yo Ma?
By CHRIS MUSELER
Published: January 18, 2009
When the cellist Yo-Yo Ma takes to the inaugural stage on Tuesday, the instrument he will have may take music enthusiasts by surprise. Black, with a single-piece body, neck and peg box, and with no scroll at the top, the cello is a high-tech carbon-fiber instrument designed to withstand the cold.
Skip to next paragraph Enlarge This Image
Susana Raab for The New York Times
Master Gunnery Sergeant Marcio Botelho, a member of the Joint Service Orchestra, rehearsing on a carbon-fiber cello for the preinaugural concert at the Lincoln Memorial on Sunday.

Created by Luis Leguia and his Massachusetts-based company, Luis and Clark, the cello is unaffected by temperature and humidity, which can crack or split the delicate antique instruments that professionals usually use. Mr. Ma plans to play his Luis and Clark cello if the weather warrants, said his manager, Mary Pat Buerkle. His other cello, a 1733 Montagnana from Venice, is worth more than $2 million. Mr. Ma will be playing a score by John Williams with Itzhak Perlman on violin, Gabriela Montero on piano and Anthony McGill on clarinet. Mr. Perlman could not be reached for comment.
Mr. Ma is not the only inaugural string player using a Luis and Clark instrument. At the “We Are One” concert at the Lincoln Memorial on Sunday, the entire Joint Service Orchestra string section — 44 musicians in all — played the company’s carbon-fiber cellos, violins, violas and basses.
“My cello is a couple hundred years old,” said Staff Sgt. Ben Wensel, a cellist in the United States Army Band, before rehearsing on Friday in 14-degree weather. “I wouldn’t dare take it outside in this.”
Sergeant Wensel said that this would be the first time a major orchestra had exclusively used carbon string instruments. The orchestra is a combination of the Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, Navy and Marine bands.
Mr. Leguia, who studied under Pablo Casals and played cello for the Boston Symphony Orchestra for 44 years, came up with the idea for a composite cello after going sailing on a fiberglass Hobie 16 catamaran. He was struck by how efficiently the boat’s hulls transmitted the sound of the waves. “The greatest instruments can be heard through the din of an orchestra,” he said in a telephone interview. “I saw potential in that.”
The first cello Mr. Leguia built was of fiberglass in 1990. He then moved to carbon, partnering with Steve Clark, a champion sailor and carbon-fiber expert from Rhode Island. Mr. Clark helped refine the design and construction process, and the Luis and Clark cello was born.
About 12 Luis and Clark instruments are manufactured each week at Clear Carbon and Components in Bristol, R.I. The cello costs $7,139. Each instrument takes about a week to build and is handmade of layers of carbon fiber and epoxy. More than 600 have been produced.
As for the sound, Mr. Leguia said that he had tried to maintain the full-bodied sound of top-end instruments, but at a much lower price. A carbon cello, he said has a “flooding, deeper sound,” though “not quite as penetrating” as Mr. Ma’s Montagnana.
René Morel, who deals in fine string instruments in Manhattan, has said the sound is as close as you can get to a traditional top cello like a Stradivarius without being one. The cellist Aldo Parisot, a longtime instructor at the Yale School of Music, has been recommending Mr. Leguia’s cellos to his students for everyday use.
Sergeant Wensel said that his instrument “sounded a little raw at first,” but that “the sound has opened up for me.”
“It’s a good cello,” he added, “not just a good carbon cello.”

A little off topic, but we'll get back to motorcycles shortly, I promise!
Old 01-25-2009, 12:02 AM   #188
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,560
I married a girl that used to play, but that was a long time ago, 35+ year or so. Still love her and she puts up with me, love that killer instrument.

I lost a lot of my hearing so lots of music is gone now.

Still this is one of the great threads.

If you ever find yourself lost in the OC, I got room for a bike, and a bed.

You will have to put up with cats though...

Subscribed.
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #189
mistercindy
In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer: 2,905
Its funny that you should bring up Yo-Yo Ma and the inauguration. I recorded it on ABC news and watched it that night. I knew about the quartet and was wondering of he'd play the carbon fiber cello given the temperature, then the ABC News broadcasters actually mentioned that he'd be playing a carbon fiber cello! Cool, I thought! But, you can tell from the pic that it wasn't the carbon fiber instrument at all. Since he wasn't actually playing, he might have just brought out some cheaper instrument from a local school inventory. Itzhak Perlman too. I seriously doubt Perlman took his multi-million dollar Strad (he owns two, I believe) out in 20 degree weather just to fake it!

Speaking of faking it, its odd that they weren't playing, and, like you, I'm not sure how I feel about it. My initial reaction is disappointment. I want to say "Et tu, Brute!" But they agreed to it, so what the heck. But if you noticed, those bows were darn sure moving on the strings, so I wonder if they put soap on the hair so it wouldn't make any noise. I had a high school director do that to our worst players' bows in the high school orchestra before concerts. The kids would saw away and were so bad that they never noticed that they weren't making a sound! Nobody knew! He told me about it years later!

Oh yes, to make this motorcycle related... My 12GS went over 50,000 miles last week on a very cold trip to Austin and back.

The following statement is true.

The above statement is false.
mistercindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #190
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '13

Oddometer: 1,797
It's all about alto clef!

-Eff, with a viola himself
Old 01-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #191
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

I'm getting all kinds of requests from my fellow musicians for rides on the orange beast and I'd like to have them wearing some gear. Does anyone have or know of some seldom-used MC safety gear in or near Sarasota? I put a post up over in the Florida regional forum, but so far nada:

Want to borrow/rent Pillion Gear, Sarasota

I'm hanging in Sarasota Florida for the next couple of months on a big ride/work/music thing (check out my ongoing RR if you like: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397152 ), and I'm starting to get a line forming of people who want rides on the back of my mighty steed. Would anyone be willing to lend/lease some old-but-functional riding gear, medium to large? Helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots, whatever you got. Just around town rides probably, but a variety of people with a variety of sizes.

Perhaps I could pay in beer or food, but I'd be happy to hand over some green too.

I just put it up on Craigslist too.
I'm waiting for my new computer to arrive so I can start writing again , I've got a ton of good material for YFF's if it ever gets here...
Old 01-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #192
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head

If you ever find yourself lost in the OC, I got room for a bike, and a bed.

You will have to put up with cats though...

Subscribed.
I'm a little slow (violist and all), where's the OC? Orange Crush? I'm already there! I can deal with cats... Thanks for the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercindy
Its funny that you should bring up Yo-Yo Ma and the inauguration. I recorded it on ABC news and watched it that night. I knew about the quartet and was wondering of he'd play the carbon fiber cello given the temperature, then the ABC News broadcasters actually mentioned that he'd be playing a carbon fiber cello! Cool, I thought! But, you can tell from the pic that it wasn't the carbon fiber instrument at all. Since he wasn't actually playing, he might have just brought out some cheaper instrument from a local school inventory. Itzhak Perlman too. I seriously doubt Perlman took his multi-million dollar Strad (he owns two, I believe) out in 20 degree weather just to fake it!

Speaking of faking it, its odd that they weren't playing, and, like you, I'm not sure how I feel about it. My initial reaction is disappointment. I want to say "Et tu, Brute!" But they agreed to it, so what the heck. But if you noticed, those bows were darn sure moving on the strings, so I wonder if they put soap on the hair so it wouldn't make any noise. I had a high school director do that to our worst players' bows in the high school orchestra before concerts. The kids would saw away and were so bad that they never noticed that they weren't making a sound! Nobody knew! He told me about it years later!

Oh yes, to make this motorcycle related... My 12GS went over 50,000 miles last week on a very cold trip to Austin and back.
I was wondering about the "soaping the bow" trick too! It is disappointing that they were up there "faking it," but having worked with both arists I KNOW that they are world class musicians that deserve all of the good things that come to them, so after thinking about it some more, if they decided it's too cold, I'm inclined to trust their judgement.

Congrats on the mileage, uhhh... milestone. Bikes are made to RIDE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescent
It's all about alto clef!

-Eff, with a viola himself
You know it! VIOLATE!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #193
Wildabeast
Wide Open

Oddometer: 226
Yo-

I'm sure your dialed in with your routine in Florida but post up an update! I want to see the orange monster in action in Orange Country. Hope your adventures are many!

Wildabeast
Wildabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:06 AM   #194
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildabeast
Yo-

I'm sure your dialed in with your routine in Florida but post up an update! I want to see the orange monster in action in Orange Country. Hope your adventures are many!

Wildabeast
The adventures are many indeed! The flood gates will open soon, I have a lot to write about and some great pics, but at the moment I'm still computerless. Hopefully that will be resolved within a couple days... Stay tuned!

Are you getting some sunshine up there yet?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #195
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,560
OC = Orange County California. What ain't fruit is nuts!

My aging pfig will roll over 135,000 tomorrow early in the morning on the way to work...
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote