Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
Waddie44 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
2001 f 650 gs Dakar oil level

A little advice please,

I just did some repair on my radiator due to a rock that decided to imbed itslef between my shroud and the rediator. Since I was removing all of the extraneous parts and pieces involved in this process, I decided to do the water pump seals etc..

After putting it all back together, I noticed I needed to add about a third of a liter more oil than my normal oil change. I started the bike and let it warm to operating temp to chekc for leaks. Still a small leak in the radiator. (unrelated)

I let the bike sit for a few days and am back in the process of putting it back together, again! UGH!

So here are my questions, which I hope one or many of you bright people might tell me where to look or answer them. Thanks in advance.

1) Should I need a little more oil after removing the LHS cover and allowing the motor to drain completely?

2) When I went to start it today, I took off the oil cap and the oil level was about a half of to an inch below the sight glass. I FREAKED OUT, thinking some oil had leaked into the water side of the motor due to me jacking up the water pump seals. I drained a little coolant expecting to see oil and coolant come out, but it was as clean as when I put it in. So, I started it anyway and let it warm up. The oil level quickly rose and actually rose to above the sight glass. The oil is clean also and I don't see any fluctuation in coolant level.
Is this normal?

Before this oil change, I had never noticed that much fluctuation in oil level, but I commute almost every day.
Thanks,
Waddie
Waddie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Fly Molo
Crazy Sniffable

Oddometer: 66
In general, I don't think you have much to worry about. If a little on the high side, removing oil from the reservoir isn't too bad.
If I recall it correctly, the regular method for checking oil level is to run the bike for a while (I usually run it about seven or eight miles), and then let it sit for a few minutes. Take the bike off the stand so that it is level, and then check the oil level in the sight glass. I'm not sure that you got the engine temp up enough (though I still wouldn't worry).
Old 05-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
Waddie44 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the reassurance. The really low level is what I thought was wierd. It seems to be right now....
Ummm, but the christmas turkey might taste a little funky. Turkey baster works really good at removing the excess.
Waddie44 is offline   Reply With Quote