Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #16
ktm530russ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
I view Sam's work as "Intellectual Property" even though it does not have a copy right just like my Mexico2Canada route. I do not sell roll charts or tracks and riders must promise not to keep tracks and return the roll chart each night.

If these tracks get on the internet, we are out of business!

If you don't want to buy Sams work then you should go out and spend about a month and scout the ride, then come back next year and ride it not steel Sams work!

I spent two weeks (at least $2,000) this summer developing a true Continental Divide Ride across New Mexico. Next year it will take me 1-2 weeks to do Colorado. It will not appear on AdvRider if I can help it!
Hey all. I have been lurking in ADV for a while, and looking to ride the TAT in about 1.5 years. Living in (the REAL) Northern California, I will be running the TAT West to East. Starting the advance planning now (KTM530).
Since there are so many of you out there that have already mapped out the TAT with GPS, IF I bought the route from Sam, would any of you be willing to PM the tracks? This would save a LOT of extra work. I think it would also be helpful since there are so many "alternate" routes that everyone has mapped along the TAT. It really looks like Oregon has some issues with blocked roads/trails, so some more detail on alternates there would be helpful. I might even plan an extra 2-3 days on the trip to explore this area more thouroughly...
Old 12-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #17
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,663
The knowledge that you gain by transfering the route yourself is worth its weight in gold! It is not hard to do and can be done in a few evenings with your favorite cold beverage.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Old 12-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #18
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,220
Like I said in reply above, I bought Nevada and made the track in less than an hour. And like Jeff says you need to review the track turn by turn so you know what is coming up. If you want a self-guided turn-key tour with no pre-ride work ride to Mex2Can.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #19
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm530russ
It really looks like Oregon has some issues with blocked roads/trails, so some more detail on alternates there would be helpful.
Of course it would be helpful, just don't look to any of the inmates here for help. Oregon maps from Sam are pretty useless, he has no intention of rectifying the issue but is quite happy to take your money. And remember only slackers use GPS, real men use roll charts.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:15 PM   #20
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent4ADV
One major stop for us today was going to be Crater Lake. Even though it made our day a little bit longer we wanted to see it while we were so close. On our way up there the road started to narrow...

... and then narrow some more...

...And finally we found the trail impassable...

...So we had to reroute, again. This would be a common theme today as you'll see in a minute.

...Things were going pretty well until the trail routed us up the side of a mountain. The rocks and grade of the hill made it tough to climb and we finally reached a point where we couldn't pass. In retrospect, we probably could have gotten through but we didn't know what was ahead and we certainly didn't want to struggle through another 500 ft. only to have to turn around there.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #21
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
Since you're referencing my pics and RR then I'll chime in. I didn't mind buying the maps and converting them. It kept my mind on the trip and aware of the different towns we'd be passing through as I was plotting.

Also, the rerouting in Oregon is something that will be faced no matter how he tries to update the route. Most of the roads are logging roads and thus change on a regular basis. The good thing is that there are tons of available roads to use to get where you need to go.

Overall I think the whole process of planning a TAT trip is exciting and a great learning experience. The GPS plotting is all part of it.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #22
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Quote:
Originally posted by GASPIPE

We headed out of town, and soon the trail was fouled by an never-ending bombardment of these damned signs.

Quote:
Once again, we head west into Forest Service Lands, assured there's but 118 miles to go to the Pacific ocean. Soon, we're confused by missing roads which were bulldozed away, and new roads made that seemingly go nowhere. I can see the road I want to be on, but it's hundred of feet below on a slope a mountain goat couldn't traverse. It was becoming an exercise in patience to negotiate much of this.

Quote:
I couldn't believe how empty this place is. The only reason any of these roads exist it at all is to harvest logs, and it occurs to me that's why the roads are constantly changing and why there's so many of them. It's incredible how many log trails there are out here.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #23
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Quote:
Bobmiller90

I think I was about 50 miles in when my GPS and the road book diverged.

The road book said go left and my routes on the GPS said straight.

As the road book was accurate to that point I decided to continue with it.

At 57 miles the road book described turns that just weren’t there. I looked at the map but the scale was completely out, the map was too high level.

I had left the forest roads and was riding along ATV trails that had trenches cut across them by the foresters.

Anyway, I got to a point were I tried to retrace me tracks and look at all the options.

I did this for about an hour but no luck. At that point I had a few options:

Keep going where I thought the trail went.
Ride back to where the GPS went off an then use that trail.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #24
ktm530russ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent4ADV
Since you're referencing my pics and RR then I'll chime in. I didn't mind buying the maps and converting them. It kept my mind on the trip and aware of the different towns we'd be passing through as I was plotting.

Also, the rerouting in Oregon is something that will be faced no matter how he tries to update the route. Most of the roads are logging roads and thus change on a regular basis. The good thing is that there are tons of available roads to use to get where you need to go.
Hey, thanks for the feedback, and you are right... converting and planning is half the fun. I withdraw my request for "pre-done" gps tracks...
I would like to find out as I am planning, some of the "more interesting" alternate routes off of the "real" TAT...
I have 2.5 years to get ready (planning on Aug/Sept 2011) for various reasons... I am also planning extended time, so might spend an extra week or so in Oregon and try to scout out more "permanent" FS roads and trails for this section. Thanks again for your replies!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #25
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
I would certainly recommend stopping by Crater Lake in Oregon (very close to the trail) and the White Rim Trail in UT. I didn't get an opportunity to go to the White Rim Trail but I've seen some pics and it looks really incredible.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #26
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantrma

Worst day of the trip, hands down. And I left Crescent Lake instead of La Pine. Whatever.

At least we're finally out of sage flats

Can anyone see where this is going?

Yep

More road closures.

Just in case you ignored the sign

Just in case you went around the log

I actually passed the bull twice because, you guessed it, a closed road.

They even closed the trail under the powerlines

What kind of road? A closed road.] Very good.

Closed road]

Not closed, but honorable mention

I warned you you'd get tired of me whining

Road closing slowly

By now, if they don't close it better than this, I just ride over it instead of around it

The low light of the day came on the heels of several closed roads. Roads that were trenched, deep and long, to block the road. Not having maps with enough breadth and being too stubborn to find a way around, I plowed too, plowed on. At one intersection on the roll chart, it said take the grassy trail to the left. I guessed which of the three grassy roads had been there when Sam rode it and I did. And within 100 feet, I was committed. I couldn't have gotten up that wet grassy mountainside under any circumstance. And I didn't know what was below me.

Perversely, this looks level. It is the grassy road of no return.

. But it was closed beyond continuing. Can't go forward, can't get back up the hill. Hmm. There is a faint trail straight down the hill, but again, I'll be committed to that as well. There are 50 foot long, 10" trees felled across the road to block it. I blip the throttle to loft the front over and let off for the rear but even idling the back tire over, with no bark and being wet, dropped the bike. Smashed front right turn signal. Oh well. Head down, after another 100 yards or so of very steep, there are two six or eight inch short logs diagonally across the trail. The trail should be two track but the left track has been eroded into a 3 foot or so ditch so I have very little maneuvering room. Plan A would be blip the throttle to loft the front tire over and let off the throttle so the back tire won't spin on them. But it's way too steep downhill for that, I'm having trouble reining the bike in as it is, plus the two are spaced about a bike length apart. Plan B would be to stop, move the logs, they're short, and continue. Even if I could get the bike hauled in, I would just have to drop it, it's way too steep to put it on the side or center stand. And I probably couldn't get the bike stopped. Plan C sucks, in the little available room, square up to the logs, they're at different angles, and hope for the best. It didn't work for me. Bike goes over, literally upside down in the ditch, I bail and land clear but end up 15 feet or so down the hill to the side of the trail.

Grassy road of no return ends abruptly here (note log that ate my turn signal on left)

Told you it was upside down, thought I was exaggerating, didn't you?

BTW, this is my favorite picture of the trip. If someone is handy with pictures, I'd love a resized crop of that to be my avatar. Sadly, it doesn't show steepness. I'm looking very steeply up the hill. Note sabatoge log in road above.

Within 2 miles of the next section of trail (after maybe 5 miles of asphalt), the road has a deep wide trench. I've learned my lessons about closed roads. Around the trench, back on the trail. Maybe I haven't learned. Trail turns out to be a road that has been paved for a bicycle trail. Normally I'd grouse about the trip not being offroad enough but I just soak it up. In fact, ride way to fast almost scraping the pegs on a road that literally twists around trees. Feel much much better. Turns back to trail. Road closed again. End up on a state asphalt highway to get around it and just ride on to Canyonville instead of cutting back in to find the trail again. Tuckered out.

Road closed ]again after the spill, not the last closed road of the day but the last pic of the day

Staxrider screwed with this post 01-02-2009 at 07:43 AM
Old 01-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #27
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
I hope to finish the western part of the trail soon and agree with most that you should make your own tracks,but a "road closed" listing by state would certainly make planning a bit easier.

Maybe something like this...

State.......... Date ............ Road ...................... Reason

CO ............ Sept 08......... Black Bear Rd ............ Road terminates at new well site
Old 01-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #28
boney
Ride > Post

Oddometer: 1,404
Perhaps the Oregon portion of the TAT is no longer passable and riders should make thier own plans.

I've had loads of success cross referencing Mapsource, the Benchmark Atlas, the NF maps for each district and Google Earth. Plan your own ride.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:49 AM   #29
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
TAT Oregon rework planned

I rode the western TAT in Sept - Oct 2007.

Yes, I had problems in Oregon.... nothing I couldn't figure out.

That state was the most problematic I had when I routed it in Mapsource.... and it proved far and away to be the hardest to follow on the ground.

I offered Sam my track logs and routes along with notes on where I had problems following his directions. He accepted my offer of routes/tracks for Oregon as he is planning on going out there summer of 2009 to work on updating his route to account for the closures and reroutes.

So yes, it is being addressed, but no, you shouldn't worry too much about riding what we have right now.

I made it, and I had only been in Oregon once before in my life - Trask Mt in 1992 - where I broke my wrist.

If you are unsure of where to go, follow the most traveled road, keep an eye on the GPS as to where you are at vs where you want to be, and work your way in that direction. It's an Adventure, right?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #30
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler
I offered Sam my track logs and routes along with notes on where I had problems following his directions.
For over two years so have many others. Yet he still accepts your 32 dollars for roll charts and maps that he refuses to update.

You will have as much fun if you do this. Take a map, draw a line between Port Orford and Crater Lake. Make a second line between Crater Lake and Lakeview. Navigate at will.
Closed Thread