Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #31
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
Yea, the routing is not that hard since there are so many roads that traverse through the state. And if you go during the summer, don't be surprised if you have to re-route due to forest fires.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #32
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Newer updates later......

NorthernTraveler screwed with this post 01-06-2010 at 10:04 AM
Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #33
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler
Hope this helps.....
Copied and saved .

I think you've offered a brilliant and creative solution. Well done.

I've bought the maps all the way through OR, even though at this time we've gotten through 2/3 of UT, so far. I debated holding out buying them all because of reported problems in OR, but it didn't sound like there were updates forthcoming, plus, I'm not averse to doing some virtual pre-running via Google-Earth, and real-time re-routing. Regardless, it's good to hear there will be some route maintenance. I'll keep my eye out for the updated OR map/rollchart if it comes out before we get there.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #34
Elefant 900 Rad
Hedley

Oddometer: 1,018
We did the TAT this past August. A few of us are talking about going back up to Oregon, to come up with new routes to bypass the closed routes.
Ducati 900 Elefant
KTM 950
KTM 640
HD XR1200
Old 02-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #35
ktm530russ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Copied and saved .

I think you've offered a brilliant and creative solution. Well done.

I've bought the maps all the way through OR, even though at this time we've gotten through 2/3 of UT, so far. I debated holding out buying them all because of reported problems in OR, but it didn't sound like there were updates forthcoming, plus, I'm not averse to doing some virtual pre-running via Google-Earth, and real-time re-routing. Regardless, it's good to hear there will be some route maintenance. I'll keep my eye out for the updated OR map/rollchart if it comes out before we get there.
I haven't purchased the TAT maps yet, since I am still just over 2 years from my planned departure. I did find something that might be helpful, not quite sure. It is an online Topo map program, I figure this might help confirm actual "through" roads. I hope some of you that have rode the Oregon TAT recently can confirm this.
The link is:
http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/
If you zoom in far enough, and then select "MyTopo" the trails and roads show up. A LOT of them have black bars across the roads, which I am assuming means they have been closed? This is what I would like to confirm. When I purchase the TAT maps, I plan on overlaying them on these to see which routes "go through".

Sample picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rlsmith999/3258381511/

Tenative depature date of mid-August, 2011, plan on a 45-60 day trip from Oregon coast to Atlantic coast. I really don't want to do this solo, so... anyone else thinking of running the TAT in this timeframe? Planning on riding fairly light on a KTM530 the whole way (still upgrading and gear purchasing).
I am hopeful that Sam is true to his word of updating the Oregon TAT this summer...
Old 02-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #36
Elefant 900 Rad
Hedley

I wouldn't trust any maps to tell you whether roads are closed or not.

Hardly anything online or in print is ever accurate or current enough to plan a trip by.

Just my 1 cent.
Ducati 900 Elefant
KTM 950
KTM 640
HD XR1200
Old 02-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #37
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler
Here are some known problems on the TAT in Oregon, along with possible reroutes. I'll give you the mileage where the problem is, and then a possible reroute to where you hook back up.

Problem 5 - somewhere between mile 518.02 and mile 541.94 the route is closed by a landslide - I skipped it so I'm not sure where.
Reroute - At corner 518.02 go STRAIGHT on the paved road instead of left on the dirt. Stay on the main pavement approx 17 miles to where you see a cliff face on your left and a two track coming out onto the pavement.
Go straight, you are now back on course at mile 541.94.

Just a little amendment for problem 5. The last turn off you can make before the landslide is at mile 536.48. You go straight instead of taking a left and follow 3348 up to NF-33, take a left on NF-33 then that will bring you down to 541.94 and your back on the trail.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #38
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Thanks for that update Brent and the other info you provided in your Tat thread.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Old 03-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #39
BlueBuell
Banned

Oddometer: 421
TAT - GPS tracks or routes?

Howdy - maps are being purchased for our Mid-June TAT ride,
but before I start creating routes on my own, would anyone have routes or tracks to share with me?
We are doing Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah.
Cheers!
PN, Austin TX

Old 03-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #40
Ghilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Laugh

I am thinking the map and GPS option is also better suited to me than the roll charts. Where can I get the routes for my GPS. I will get the maps from the USGS.

Thanks,
Ghilly
Old 03-13-2009, 03:29 AM   #41
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,744
Merged the new thread with the old one

dunno.....
Old 03-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #42
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghilly
I am thinking the map and GPS option is also better suited to me than the roll charts. Where can I get the routes for my GPS. I will get the maps from the USGS.

Thanks,
Ghilly
Maps are useless if you have a roll chart and backup GPS.

You purchase each state from Sam (see page 1 of thread). Then if you want to make tracks or routes for your GPS you do it by hand in Mapsource. It only took me an hour to make tracks for Nevada.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #43
Elefant 900 Rad
Hedley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghilly

Thanks,
Ghilly
As I mentioned before, you cannot use Topo, Garmin, or any other internet or printed maps to try to layout the TAT ono your GPS, because many of the trails are not on any maps, so you cannot input them to your GPS.

Believe me, our friend Terry spent weeks using all the maps he could find, to try to layout the route from Colorado to Oregon and he did a great job....but once riding the trail, after a few days, we realized there were only sections that were accurate.........much of the time the GPS was not even close.

You absolutely need to use the ROLLCHARTS to ride the TAT.

Unless someone GPS'd the entire route and shares it with you, but that's not the right thing to do.

My suggestion is to buy the maps and rollcharts.
Ducati 900 Elefant
KTM 950
KTM 640
HD XR1200
Old 03-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #44
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefant 900 Rad
As I mentioned before, you cannot use Topo, Garmin, or any other internet or printed maps to try to layout the TAT ono your GPS, because many of the trails are not on any maps, so you cannot input them to your GPS.
I had no problem drawing a track on R & R across Nevada!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #45
Elefant 900 Rad
Hedley

That's Nevada, Jerry......some of Utah and Oregon are not on any maps.
Ducati 900 Elefant
KTM 950
KTM 640
HD XR1200
Closed Thread