Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #46
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
I have to concur with that. Initially, I used Sams maps to compare with what shows up in all 3 of my Mapsource products and routed the trail that way. Now, going back over them and following the roll chart as I use the View in Google Earth satellite view to "fly over" the trail, I see several places I am going to have to draw in by hand then edit my tracks. For example, I had to redo the route thru Black Dragon canyon because I was way....... off with my track. After I get it edited, I'll recheck it using the View in Google Earth again to see how close I got.

It would easier if I could figure out how to just draw the track in the Satellite view of Google Earth and then import that to Mapsource. I'm using the free version of GE5 and I see no way to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefant 900 Rad
That's Nevada, Jerry......some of Utah and Oregon are not on any maps.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Old 03-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #47
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,649
I agree, 99.5% of the entire TAT was in my R&R.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Old 03-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #48
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailryder42
It would easier if I could figure out how to just draw the track in the Satellite view of Google Earth and then import that to Mapsource. I'm using the free version of GE5 and I see no way to do that.
It's easy, sort of. In Google Earth use the Add Path tool (Ctrl+Shift+T) to draw a path. Give it a name and save it in your "Places" in the left pane. Select (highlight) that path in the left pane, Right click on it, and select "Save Place As...". Pick KML as file type, and save to your hard disk. Now use GPS Babel to convert that saved Google Earth KML file to a GPX or GDB file for your Garmin:
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/
Once coverted, open it in Mapsource and you'll see the exact path you made in GE, but now it's a GPS "Track" in Mapsource.

This works great for making tracks before you go out riding, as long as it's not a heavily tree covered area where you can't see the road/trail in GE.

If you're real good at it, you can use the paper rollchart and the GE Show Ruler - Path tool to measure along the path to find the rollchart intersections. Then use the Add Path tool to draw the path per the rollchart instructions. Of course using the GPS spoils half the fun of navigating. You'll still want to use the rollchart for important notes along the way!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #49
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Thanks, I get that far, give the path a name but there are no drawing tools. I can figure no way even to click from point to point and draw that way. That's the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild
It's easy, sort of. In Google Earth use the Add Path tool (Ctrl+Shift+T) to draw a path.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Old 03-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #50
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailryder42
Thanks, I get that far, give the path a name but there are no drawing tools. I can figure no way even to click from point to point and draw that way. That's the problem.
You're using the Google Earth downloaded application, not Google Maps, right? You're using version 5, right? Here are instuctions:
http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4/

There are 3 ways in GE to get to the path tool:
1) From the menu: Add>Path
2) Keyboard: Ctrl + Shift + T
3) With View>Toolbar option selected, use this symbol on the toolbar:

Once you select one of those, you'll get a popup window. DON'T CLOSE IT, just move it to the side, and click in the satellite view window. Once you've clicked a path, then put a name in the popup and click OK. That will save your path in My Places.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #51
Elefant 900 Rad
Hedley

Oddometer: 1,018
Man, that sure sounds like hours of work......the rollchart works great, without all that work
Ducati 900 Elefant
KTM 950
KTM 640
HD XR1200
Old 03-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #52
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefant 900 Rad
Man, that sure sounds like hours of work......the rollchart works great, without all that work
I got a headache reading it.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #53
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
I got a headache
Jerry, you're headache might go away if you used these techniques to help find neat long lost locations for your rides. I know you've been everywhere in DV, but then again maybe not. Copy and paste this coordinate into Google Maps or Google Earth and see if you've ever been to this lost cabin: 35 48' 30.4"N 116 27' 13.1"W. Then see if R&R or any other map will take you there and tell you there's something interesting to see there.
http://www.gpsxchange.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2158

Using Google Earth you can find off beat places like this, and draw a track to get you there from a major road. If you're doing the TAT thing via Google Earth before your ride date, you can see cool places just off the TAT route that you wouldn't otherwise know existed. Using this technique you can draw a side track, off the main TAT route, and go visit these side detours along the way. Makes for an even more fun TAT!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #54
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
see if you've ever been to this lost cabin: 35 48' 30.4"N 116 27' 13.1"W. Then see if R&R or any other map will take you there and tell you there's something interesting to see there !
No it is not on R & R but it is on Topo. Shows road going to Lost Pick mine. R & R shows road to Ibex spring then on to closed road from Saratoga spring. I don't think it is legal past Ibex spring per Harrison Map, I can't find my current Trails Illustrated map which shows latest Wilderness.

Last time I was there, I saw a lot of 4x4 tracks going toward Ibex but didn't go look. Only wanted to see Saratoga. I will add Lost Cabin to my DV file.

What about Lost Pick (Hyjack)?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 AM   #55
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,210
Thumb

Quote:
You're using the Google Earth downloaded application, not Google Maps, right? You're using version 5, right? Here are instuctions
Thanks for the tips....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Old 08-27-2009, 07:41 AM   #56
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Updating Oregon TAT again

I've pulled my updates for Oregon due to the people on here who don't 'get it' about paying Sam for his work.

NorthernTraveler screwed with this post 01-07-2010 at 10:27 AM
Old 10-12-2009, 05:17 AM   #57
kta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
I fully support anyone who wants to map out a route, promote it, and sell the maps.

However - there is GREAT benefit to all (including the seller) by offering routes for free. This allows all to enjoy them and take part in keeping them updated and current, as well as ballooning their popularity and use. Privatizing any information these days is old fashioned - sales of all products increase when content is shared freely. As a case study you can look at the independent music and video scene. Map creators can still sell their products successfully - and they will sell more of them because they will be improved constantly with group effort. All you mappers should embrace the power ADV and the internet!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #58
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kta
I fully support anyone who wants to map out a route, promote it, and sell the maps.

However - there is GREAT benefit to all (including the seller) by offering routes for free. This allows all to enjoy them and take part in keeping them updated and current, as well as ballooning their popularity and use. Privatizing any information these days is old fashioned - sales of all products increase when content is shared freely. As a case study you can look at the independent music and video scene. Map creators can still sell their products successfully - and they will sell more of them because they will be improved constantly with group effort. All you mappers should embrace the power ADV and the internet!
Do it and prove your theory!

In my experience, people with $12,000 motorcycles don't seam to want to buy any ride information.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #59
VTRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I'm a long time lurker but a newb none the less.
I understand intellectual property and how important it is to protect it.
I don't understand how it is applied here though. For example:
I just rode half of the CDT using Big Dog's tracks. Everyone I met on the trail knew of or was using BD's tracks. It added to the experience by using real intel from someone who had been there before. Why is it okay for Big Dog to share his CDT tracks but not okay to discuss the same topic for the TAT?
Who is Sam that his for profit business is elevated above the free exchange of information? Sam offers a service. If you want it, pay for it. Why are gps tracks off limits for the TAT?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #60
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRally
I'm a long time lurker but a newb none the less.
I understand intellectual property and how important it is to protect it.
I don't understand how it is applied here though. For example:
I just rode half of the CDT using Big Dog's tracks. Everyone I met on the trail knew of or was using BD's tracks. It added to the experience by using real intel from someone who had been there before. Why is it okay for Big Dog to share his CDT tracks but not okay to discuss the same topic for the TAT?
Who is Sam that his for profit business is elevated above the free exchange of information? Sam offers a service. If you want it, pay for it. Why are gps tracks off limits for the TAT?
OOOOHHHH
I think you just farted in church
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
Closed Thread