Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #16
Rabbit_Fighter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I don't question their motivations one bit; both of their previous rides have doubled as fund raisers for UNICEF. So what if they make some money in the process. It has inspired a lot of people and given the world a much broader understanding of what kinds of things are possible with regards to motorcycling.

Are there more challenging ways they could do it? Absolutely. It is still a challenge though, and I've never gotten the impression that they see themselves as pioneers or the ultimate in motorcyclists.

The fact that Ewan has dumped his bike so many times, makes me respect him even more. Sure he gets frustrated, but he keeps getting back on, and keeps setting out for more. I respect that a great deal (maybe because I crash too much myself).
Rabbit_Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #17
ZenOfZoom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Looking forwards to this one...

I'm quite anticipating this series actually. I've tried a couple paltry adventures (boomerang tour of Canada, Arctic Circle Attempt), and it's left me with a new respect for Ewan and Charlie not to mention anyone else who's simply out there following their dream. Support team or not a rides of this scale require dedication and commitment.

Far as Ewan dropping the bike, bah, so what? That just makes people like myself want to go out and give it a go. It makes it approachable. Unfortunately the support team largely negates that effect, giving it an air of being out of reach.

I think the whining comes in at the editing bay. I watched a feature length cut of Long Way Down on the big screen, and it was whining minimal in comparison to the TV series. I suspect this is a function of two things.
1) Editors and Producers trying to create drama and tension, not realizing that the story is the journey and not a plotted thing.
2) Context. If you were to slap a camera on yourself after a cold, wet, foggy, sleety day, chances are the result would come off whiny. I've tried it, the video never makes the web ;) It's a mater of context because in hindsight those days are often the most challenging and rewarding days riding in that, "My Gawd, I didn't think I could do that sort of way."
Old 10-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #18
RustyJames
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooms01
Ewen's wife tagging along in Down really ruined it, hopefully that won't happen in up.
I actually quite enjoyed that part. I thought she showed a lot of spirit getting back on her bike after so many "downs". It also helped to inspire my wife with the possibility of riding herself, rather than just hanging on the back, so two thumbs up. Not to mention that I now get much less grief for the continuing farkle-ization of my GS, so two more thumbs up for that.

Cheers
RustyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #19
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,596
I still haven't been able to watch LWD here in the States. Nobody sells the DVD and I don't get 'Fox Reality' (what a lame channel...ugh). So maybe by the time the rest of the world see this third one, I will see the 2nd one.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #20
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
I'm in for the beer party at the end.

Or since they are ending here in Cal, maybe wine and cheese, or Whine and cheese??

I'll buy the DVD and wear it out watching and loaning it too. Just like the others.

I am a poser.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #21
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
I still haven't been able to watch LWD here in the States. Nobody sells the DVD and I don't get 'Fox Reality' (what a lame channel...ugh). So maybe by the time the rest of the world see this third one, I will see the 2nd one.
Buy it online.

LWD At AMAZON
Old 10-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #22
novaboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
I just finished watching LWD, it was good, but LWR was better. I can't wait for LWU. Those guys are living a bikers dream, and I have the upmost respect for them. Watching LWD is what inspired me to get into adv riding.

Give Ewan a break, he's not a pro rider and rides on the road all the time, so what if he dropped an 800lbs GS a few times in tough conditions after riding his arse off for multiple days. I'd say almost everyone on this forum wouldn't do much better.
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:23 AM   #23
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Maybe they'll be cool and ride through the Darien to get some adventure under their belt while they are at it.

I liked both LWR and D. I like the support crew and trucks as much as the bikes... but they should get on smaller bikes!!!
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #24
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,453
I thought the lwr was great, lwd not so great. Me along with most of us are jealous, wish I could travel like that as a job. I suspect they will be on 800's for this trip.
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #25
donnymoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
I liked both LWR and D. I like the support crew and trucks as much as the bikes... but they should get on smaller bikes!!!
Without a doubt, loved it in the first series when the camerman on his 200 (because his big bike broke down) was running circles around them when they sunk into those bogs and mud. But, they did it, and their enthusiasm for riding is great.
donnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #26
Dude69
Usurper of Gov'ts

Oddometer: 880
Thumbs down Long Way no more

I think there was truly only 1 Long Way show.. the first one. Here's my logic.
LWR = London - NYC
Normal route London over Atlantic to NY
Long route London - E. Euro - Russia - N. America
LWD = John O'Groats - Cape Agulhas
Normal route JOG - Africa - Cape Agulhas
Long Route JOG - Arctic - Russia - China - SE Asia - Australia - Antarctic - Cape Agulhas
LWU = Cape Horn - Cali
Normal route - Cape Horn - S. America - C. America - Cali
Long Route - well... we know it's not that. That's a pretty direct route
So... in essence, they haven't done the Long Way since the first one.
IBA #32752
Dude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #27
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooms01
Ewen's wife tagging along in Down really ruined it, hopefully that won't happen in up.

Of ALL the things that "ruined it" that thing bothered me the least. I've done that stretch of road. It's paved, safe, easy- pretty much like riding in small town America (but with more activity on the raod). You ride slow, it's fine. She just kept falling down because she doesn't know how to ride a motorcycle (or maybe it was scripted that way).
Old 10-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #28
Brice
Long time no see

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley
Of ALL the things that "ruined it" that thing bothered me the least. I've done that stretch of road. It's paved, safe, easy- pretty much like riding in small town America (but with more activity on the raod). You ride slow, it's fine. She just kept falling down because she doesn't know how to ride a motorcycle (or maybe it was scripted that way).
During the montage they could have cut all these shoots but it seems they use them to give a little drama in a long but relatively boring (from my couch and compare to LWR) trip. Wife's bitching and breaking the two men friendship... Not fair for her even if she seems to be like that in real life.

Race to Dakar was more exciting because the pace of the action was not determined by the team but by the race. As in the famous Legion motto "Marche ou crève" (walk or die) here this is ride or give up.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #29
teamgrizzly
Even more advanced n00b!

Oddometer: 383
Long Way Round was cool. Long Way Down seemed a little more corporate pandering for episode 1, Episode 2 & 3 were rushed, I didn't like how they raced all through Egypt and Libya. Also the last episode was rushed as they skipped most of the southern tip of the continent. I rode across Canada and the US and I did learn thet you should stop and smell the roses along the way, otherwise a ride through a foregin country would be no different than a ride in your own backyard.

I'll probably still watch Long Way Up.

Mike

PS: For all of you dissapointed with the Long Way series may I recommend therapy watching: Mondo Enduro, Terra Circa, Twice Upon a Caravan, Globeriders Silk Road Tour, Dust to Glory, Riding Solo at the Top of the World, and any other motorcycle touring movie.
teamgrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #30
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgrizzly
May I recommend therapy watching: Mondo Enduro, Terra Circa, Globeriders Silk Road Tour, Dust to Glory, and any other motorcycle touring movie.
There is also "The Ride" where the husband and wife (Richard and Julia?) take a group of erstwhile adventurers from Anchorage to Prudoe Bay and then to Ushuia. They filmed it using one van. There were about 10 guys on bikes when they started. It's not super macho, but it is an adventure and with a dude driving a van and a cameraman on a motorcycle. They did some pretty cool things.
A perfect ending to Part III (LWU) would be for the guys to ride right on through LA and up PCH across the Golden Gate and meet back with Ted Simon in Covelo, CA. (sort of up in the redwoods) It would allow them to see some great scenery and would allow Ewan to close the circle since it was Ted that gave him the idea. Covelo is WAY off the beaten track and it would give the end some spirituality. Or they could end it on the Sunset Strip, at a nudie bar.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote