Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #31
Spacker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Cool. I wondered when the next one would rear it's head. Was expecting Boorman to allude to something like this at a touratech retail weekend in Wales recently.

Should be interesting regardless of how it's done - (have to say loved Austin Vinces talk about the mondo enduro and terra circa - certainly need to see those).
Spacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #32
MarcMuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Why can't people respect their efforts for just what they are and make the most of them?
They could have done it and not share it....would that make the negative people feel better?
I'm not defending them or anything and here's my point:

The Long Way Round got me interested in motorcycle adventure, that interest led me to this website.....all of the ride reports I read inspire me so much that as an adult with NO camping experience went out and bought a KTM, some camping gear and off I went to The Grand Canyon....to ride and camp for the first time in my life....I'm 37.

To all those pointing out the flaws of these shows when it comes to how the riding was done or the routes they took....I bet anyone can look into your ride reports and find flaws as well.....so.
Let's just enjoy it.

MM
MarcMuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #33
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcMuller

The Long Way Round got me interested in motorcycle adventure, that interest led me to this website.....all of the ride reports I read inspire me so much that as an adult with NO camping experience went out and bought a KTM, some camping gear and off I went to The Grand Canyon....to ride and camp for the first time in my life....I'm 37.

MM
I see you returned from your first adventure trip and promptly sold the bike. Was the reality of it different from what you thought it would be after seeing the tv show?
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #34
MarcMuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Rick West,

not at all, the tv show never gave me the idea of it being easy....I knew my trip wouldn't be easy, being my first one, with a passenger and 0 knowledge on how to fix potential problems, etc. The reality of my trip confirmed the obvious....support crew or not it is impossible for anyone to take away an ounce of what Ewan and Charlie accomplished. Granted they probably had a chopper on call or whatever other luxury most people can't afford, they did it and filmed it for everyone to enjoy....plus the whole UNICEF thing is awesome.
I wonder what would have happened if they had just posted a ride report on this website? would the reactions have been different?
I read a lot of those here and everyone has only wonderful comments about the reports posted...."chasing summer", "2-up going south", etc.

As for selling the bike promptly after the trip, that has to do only with the reality of working 100% on commisiion, selling musical instruments!

I'll recover from this and get another bike and ride far again. I want to make it down to Argentina one day. My dad did it on a VW bug, my grand father and uncles went from Argentina to Chile on horses...in the 50s!
I have to leave my mark!

I can't wait to see the Long Way Up....and read more reports here and I wish there were more video reports too!

MM
MarcMuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #35
ladyfallsalot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Average Jane and Joes alike

I think that there are more people taking longer trips to places that are hard to get to all the time.
Don't forget about the man that inspired them to do this. TED SIMON. If he had a video camera I think he would have used it. And he did it on a bike that should have never left the english countryside.

That takes balls

He just should have promoted himself better.

Here's a question. Is it still an adventure trip, and worthy of praise if it's made more difficult on a bike that was never meant for that kind of abuse?
ladyfallsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #36
Jhalls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
I still haven't been able to watch LWD here in the States. Nobody sells the DVD and I don't get 'Fox Reality' (what a lame channel...ugh). So maybe by the time the rest of the world see this third one, I will see the 2nd one.
Flux PM me your mailing address. I may be able to hook you up :-) I have LWR and LWD

Being English I get then sent to me. I then re encode them.

Without adventure it's just a ride!
Jhalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:38 PM   #37
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
I'll be watching too

But I was thinking, what about if I follow them, in case I get a flat or something I could use the crew.

huuuh nah for that I need to be ahead

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #38
Dirty Barber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Charley Boorman's Dakar series is pretty cool. He has one out now called "By Any Means". I buy them on the UK Amazon . com site.

Support crew or not, these are interesting.
Dirty Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #39
DexterOnTarmac
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice
During the montage they could have cut all these shoots but it seems they use them to give a little drama in a long but relatively boring (from my couch and compare to LWR) trip. Wife's bitching and breaking the two men friendship... Not fair for her even if she seems to be like that in real life.

Race to Dakar was more exciting because the pace of the action was not determined by the team but by the race. As in the famous Legion motto "Marche ou crève" (walk or die) here this is ride or give up.

...dunno if she was supposed to do what she did for the sake of numbers (wanting to come along and all that) but I find her to be absolutely out of line. I mean, come on. You don't even know how to ride and want to go on such a trip? For what? Breaking poor Ewan's b#$$s, that' s why. Such a shame really. He seems to be a very nice person who married the wrong woman...

LWR was very nice, just spent my Saturday watching the whole thing. About the whole "dropping the bike" thing, respect to the guy, you can see he's a fighter with great willpower.

I have only seen the 1st episode from the LWD series though.
DexterOnTarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #40
jwrover
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Mrs Boorman Please!

IF anybodies wife tags along it should be Charlie's...and she should be made to wear Sturgis Biker wear! ...That I'd pay big money to see...That blondy is a hottie! and must be very cool! Charlie is fucking off around the globe every year!

jwrover
jwrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #41
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
I finally watched all of LWD. I dont know why you guys didnt like it. Sure, it was too scheduled.... but they did it and filmed it to boot. You cant film the show to their quality without the support.

I cant wait to see the Long Way Up ride. The shows inspire us to ride. Atleast me. For those who are unable to go on these rides, but dream about it.... its great. Its great to be able to see the colors and sights that you usually only see with gun fire and blood stained earth.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #42
lkoncor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
I just hope Ewan keeps his woman at home this time. Even my wife was pissed that she felt the need to butt into the middle of LWD.
lkoncor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #43
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkoncor
I just hope Ewan keeps his woman at home this time. Even my wife was pissed that she felt the need to butt into the middle of LWD.
Or at least have both the wives in the mix. Why not? I mean hell, I think its awesome that Eve joined. If your wife had the sudden urge to join the trip... would you really complain? I did feel sorry for Charlie being the third wheel.... It would have been fair if his wife joined. I think it would have been better had the wives joined as pillions only though.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #44
Spacker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
Or at least have both the wives in the mix. Why not? I mean hell, I think its awesome that Eve joined. If your wife had the sudden urge to join the trip... would you really complain? I did feel sorry for Charlie being the third wheel.... It would have been fair if his wife joined. I think it would have been better had the wives joined as pillions only though.
^Spot on. I completely agree (aside from the pillion idea). I can only imagine that the people whinging about Ewan's missus turning up were really hoping for a bit of brokeback mountain action? Come on seriously. These guys have brought adventure biking into everyone's living rooms - about 14 yrs ago I wanted to ride a bike from the West London to Egypt and then down to my dad in Mombasa - I looked into the carnet requirements etc and it all went onto the back burner - LWR / LWD has reignited my interest and I'm slowly building up to a nice little trip so be honest however these guys do it I don't care as long as they do it (although, seriously, smell the roses on the way eh?).
Spacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #45
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

[quote=Spacker]^Spot on. I completely agree (aside from the pillion idea). I can only imagine that the people whinging about Ewan's missus turning up were really hoping for a bit of brokeback mountain action? Come on seriously. These guys have brought adventure biking into everyone's living rooms - about 14 yrs ago I wanted to ride a bike from the West London to Egypt and then down to my dad in Mombasa - I looked into the carnet requirements etc and it all went onto the back burner - LWR / LWD has reignited my interest and I'm slowly building up to a nice little trip so be honest however these guys do it I don't care as long as they do it (although, seriously, smell the roses on the way eh?).[/quote]

My biggest complaint was that they blew through half the continent and then sat down and were like... "hey this is really important to me" and then decided to slow down. Why did they rush so much to catch that ferry out of Aswan they could have budgetted that extra week to see egypt and then get on the boat.

But, in order to make a big production like they did, a schedule is necessary. Besides, no one said you had to waste your money and watch the show anyways!