Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #46
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Oddometer: 2,042
Question Dvd?

Hey ADVriders,
Did anyone video tape the TV show's of Long Way Down ? If so could I get a copy?
Rick
kildala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #47
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
I Need a Good Lawyer

I Need a Good Lawyer--think I'll sue

Yeh--that's what I'll do--then I'll have all kinds of money to thrash the world on my wore out beat up KLR----less the parade.

http://bigdogadventures.com/TID.htm

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #48
E900Vadar
The Dark Fant

Oddometer: 248
I love the idea LWU

Yes, was LWD LWR not even close, but you know they have stacks of footage that they are saving for the uncut version to make more money, Good on them! I praise money making!

Here my Two Cents: I want the real Doco style footage that allows me to catch a glimps of their true experience, not what Hollywood want us to experience for money sake only.

Ewan and Charlie if you have someone reading this for you, please just give us the real day to day experience, not the Movie lands idea of what they think we want.
E900Vadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #49
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Mark, you need you's some new/different breaches.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:50 AM   #50
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
Mark, you need you's some new/different breaches.
Yeh----I bout got run--oft trying to eat breakfast in my under-tights.

I was ridin' down in West Virginia a few days ago---and the gal said she never waited on anybody in Pajamas and motocross boots--wait till you see that picture---can't get away with anything that somebody don't take your picture.
Only reason I didn't get arrested was they thougth I was just old and couldn't remember nothin'
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 11-07-2008 at 04:05 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #51
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
Yeh----I bout got run--oft trying to eat breakfast in my under-tights.

I was ridin' down in West Virginia a few days ago---and the gal said she never waited on anybody in Pajamas and motocross boots--wait till you see that picture---can't get away with anything that somebody don't take your picture.
Only reason I didn't get arrested was they thougth I was just old and couldn't remember nothin'
Better than tighty whiteys!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #52
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Come on you guys, If not for Charlie and Ewan there wouldn't be as many cherry low mileage GS's being carefuly stored in garages right now. Bikes that you can pick up for cheap in a few years when the Walter Mittys move on to some other garage trophy.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #53
tractorking
Retired Moto Courier

Oddometer: 85
I read the books first then saw LWR but not LWD yet.
I think the bitching about the crew is unfounded, they spent most of the time trying to get away from the crew. Thye also atmitted it was very difficult and showed alot of crashes and tears they could have edited out to make them look better.

With the film crew they were able to afford it, and since Im not a rich kid I think its genious to work the promotion angle to get free stuff and sponsor money. More power to em. If you could get a free ride and star in your own documentary doing something you ve dreamed of, you'd do it. Look how many crap reality shows there are out there. Not to mention they spent alot of time promoting awsome charities that help people.

I think they managed to blend a fine mix or motorcycles, travel, social issues and two guys persueing a childhood dream, and make it to the major television channels and not some PBS documentary, and I like PBS documentaries.

Read the books and then watch the programs and youll undrstand alittle better what was going through thier minds, although as with any sequel/series, I do think the first was the best.
tractorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #54
ant f
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
after being introduced to Charlie Boorman as the whiner that he was all the way through the Dakar series. A series in which even his own team came to view him as a joke, evident by the way they reacted to his appearances towards the end of the race. I wasnt expecting much with the long way down.

And surely not to be disapointed their adventure seems contrived with the token camping gestures done more as a chore than with any love, saving their excuberence for the miriads of resorts they seem to frequent. Add to that a massive support crew that provides most of the non existant drama, and you end up with a rather disapointing effort. I particularly like the episode when the spend about 10 minutes filming themselves being duped at the equater with the water down the funnel gag, onto reveal that they were duped at the end of it. I guess, realising they are well short of much that is interesting iut was scraped up off the cutting room floor and made into the show

My bitter whining aside, and it is only bitter because they are taking air time of what could be a truelly fantastic film series if done right, and ensuring through their cult of personality anything attemted in the future will be stung as a copy of the token adventure these fellas are on.

tht said, i have enjoyed some the scenery and the handicam glimpses it has given into africa and the various countries within.

The long way up?? well i think its a shame that it will be done by these two lucky sods. Hopefully Ewen doesnt bring his wife and entourage, and they attempt it in the true spirit of motorcycle adventuring. two men, two bikes, one road.
ant f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:02 AM   #55
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Maybe you should just stop watching the shows, Ant. Sounds too easy though.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #56
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant f
the true spirit of motorcycle adventuring......two Nissan support trucks, four man do-it team, camera man, doctors, fixers, conjugal vistit from the wife, hotels, satellite phones to reach the home office in London, Ipods, spare parts, two men, two bikes, one road.
I sure hope all the fans of this tv show remember to support UNICEF while spending money on the books, DVDs, T-shirts, and posters.
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #57
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
I scrape by too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West
They don't make millions making movies, just the one does. The other one with the bad teeth was a "kitchen fixer" after he could not find anyone who would pay him to be an actor.

Without the made for tv reality adventure shows he made with his famous mate, he would still be scraping by installing sinks and painting cupboard doors for a living.

Well, I didn't what a loser Boorman was until now. I thought he was just an unpopular English actor, but now to find out he's a "kitchen fixer"!! Installing sinks, and painting! What absolutely demeaning work! Scum, scum scum! I guess I would feel like a prince standing next to him, since I repair toilets, install piping, and work with my hands for a living.

If someone offered me a chance to take those rides and to see those places, I would think I'd died and gone to heaven. I would give a crap if my friend had more panache than me, and used his popularity to get things rolling. And then, if the production company thought they could make a buck putting me up for the Dakar, well I'm in too. I could care less if they even poked fun of me becaused I sucked at it, compared to the professionals. I would just think of all the sorry saps back home still scraping by plumbing, kitchen fixing and the like. Who of us could say, "No, I don't think I want to ride motorcycle on T.V. for you guys anymore, I am not doing it 100% right, and people are going to think I'm a dork." I couldn't make it acting either.

Charley may be a dink, and Ewan may be a bit full of himself. If I was motoring acrosss Asia, Africa with a camera on me 24/7, I shudder to think what I would come across like. I am annoying enough now. Take it for what it is, from people on this forum who have met Charley at social events said that he was very personable, signed autographs, and was friendly.

LWD wasn't LWR, but nothing is ever as good as the original. Half the fun of the first was just breaking the ice. Finding out if they would get production money, be on T.V. and be able to make the trip altogether. I read both books also, the first better than the second. I still think it's better than 99% of the t.v. that is out there. It may not be "On Any Sunday" or as good as Dana Brown's Baja Feature, but it is still good motorcycling t.v. from real motorcyclists. For what it's worth I liked it. I still haven't finished LWD DVD yet, but I have seen Chasing Dakar, LWR, Faster, and would like to see more. I would like to meet them, also. Maybe they need another loser to accompany them, since I don't have any famous friends of my own its my only hope.

On a side note I wojuld love to see an adventure series, wildlife series, or travel series, with Claudio Von Planta as host/cameraman. I wouldn't care if it would be by motorcycle or not, though bikes would be best. Maybe "Adventures of 'The Red Devil' featuring Claudio Von Planta" would be an ongoing series, year after year, plodding around on that crappy bike all over the world, seeing sights and making comments dryer than white toast in Death Valley.

Well, that's all I got to say about that.

Z.
Hatley Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #58
EpicWriter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
+1, these guys have my ultimate respect. Riding thousands of miles, in scorching heat, picking up an 800lb bike over and over, I know I would be whining. Yup, they could have edited that out, but it's part of the reality of such an adventure.

I'm also sure there were times they wanted to turn back and forget the whole thing, again just human nature, and that would have been edited back.

To do those kinds of miles, in those conditions, is really really tough. I wish there was more stuff like this going on. They are living their dream, and bringing awareness to some important charities at the same time. It's one of those examples of TV that is not only worth watching, but an honorable use of the medium. Bravo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenOfZoom
I'm quite anticipating this series actually. I've tried a couple paltry adventures (boomerang tour of Canada, Arctic Circle Attempt), and it's left me with a new respect for Ewan and Charlie not to mention anyone else who's simply out there following their dream. Support team or not a rides of this scale require dedication and commitment.

Far as Ewan dropping the bike, bah, so what? That just makes people like myself want to go out and give it a go. It makes it approachable. Unfortunately the support team largely negates that effect, giving it an air of being out of reach.

I think the whining comes in at the editing bay. I watched a feature length cut of Long Way Down on the big screen, and it was whining minimal in comparison to the TV series. I suspect this is a function of two things.
1) Editors and Producers trying to create drama and tension, not realizing that the story is the journey and not a plotted thing.
2) Context. If you were to slap a camera on yourself after a cold, wet, foggy, sleety day, chances are the result would come off whiny. I've tried it, the video never makes the web ;) It's a mater of context because in hindsight those days are often the most challenging and rewarding days riding in that, "My Gawd, I didn't think I could do that sort of way."
EpicWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #59
FirefightinLV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Touche' Lets get rid of the support crew. The nice thing about LWR was them riding and solving their own problems. With LWD I was sick of seeing the Russ and David smacking their gums and acting like they were on an adventure. Less of those two and a little more about the ride, bikes, their ability to handle problems and all that crazy stuff that happens when you go on a trip!!
FirefightinLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #60
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirefightinLV
Touche' Lets get rid of the support crew. The nice thing about LWR was them riding and solving their own problems. With LWD I was sick of seeing the Russ and David smacking their gums and acting like they were on an adventure. Less of those two and a little more about the ride, bikes, their ability to handle problems and all that crazy stuff that happens when you go on a trip!!
Umm, they did handle problems and "all that crazy stuff that happens."

Like I said before, the trucks are just as cool and had obstacles tambien. It's also been said that the trucks are necessary too. How in the world would these guys film three months of journey and carry all that stock? There were times when the guys did branch off on their own.... on routes less interesting and way more boring.

If anything. I wish these guys will get smaller bikes and do far more interesting routes!!!!!!!!!!!