Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #61
FirefightinLV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Understandably so I just found the second had a little too much "fluff" and not enough riding etc. etc. I would rather see the bikes, ewan, and charlie rather than the trucks, david, and russ. That is all!! And while I'm at it how about re releasing dust to glory with only trophy trucks and motorbikes!!
FirefightinLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #62
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirefightinLV
Understandably so I just found the second had a little too much "fluff" and not enough riding etc. etc. I would rather see the bikes, ewan, and charlie rather than the trucks, david, and russ. That is all!! And while I'm at it how about re releasing dust to glory with only trophy trucks and motorbikes!!
Because baja isnt just about trucks and bikes... And LWD isnt just about bikes, Ewan and Charlie.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #63
ant f
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
Maybe you should just stop watching the shows, Ant. Sounds too easy though.
as a travel show its fine as a motorcycle show its lame.

i watched the dakar series because i like racing and am interested in this race, not for the frequent appearances of charlie who was a Joke. even after he broke his wrists he still made up a good section of the viewing time (God knows why) flying around to meet up with the riders in their breaks and just provide awkward moments as they clearly had no interest in his presence.

As for the down one, i havent watched much of it just bits and pieces, enough to make me realise that the quality of motorcycle adventuring is continuing its long way down
ant f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #64
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant f

i watched the dakar series because i like racing and am interested in this race, not for the frequent appearances of charlie who was a Joke. even after he broke his wrists he still made up a good section of the viewing time (God knows why) flying around to meet up with the riders in their breaks and just provide awkward moments as they clearly had no interest in his presence.

As for the down one, i havent watched much of it just bits and pieces, enough to make me realise that the quality of motorcycle adventuring is continuing its long way down
Watch a different show then? Oh wait, there arent many. Enjoy the ones that are there.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #65
FirefightinLV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
True that. We all have different tastes and that is why I have a DVR and a remote that allows me to skip or repeat what I like and don't like. I wish Versus had a live Dakar broadcast that lasted the whole daily route. The half an hour shows is just not long enough for me!!
FirefightinLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #66
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirefightinLV
True that. We all have different tastes and that is why I have a DVR and a remote that allows me to skip or repeat what I like and don't like. I wish Versus had a live Dakar broadcast that lasted the whole daily route. The half an hour shows is just not long enough for me!!
No doubt. Need mo dak!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #67
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Doesn't anybody else think they're starting from the wrong end?

Gritty months long adventure, fighting deserts, jungles, banditos, border "helpers" and all sorts of nasty biting things to end up in an exotic..........Sunset Strip nudie bar?

That's a bit like getting a helicopter to drop you off on top of Everest and filming the struggle to get back to the bar, no?
Dilligaf0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:07 AM   #68
Dirty Barber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I could tell that they were not happy with the schedule. I know that they have other things going on in life other than riding around.
Dirty Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:08 AM   #69
Dirty Barber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant f

It is Charley's show.
Dirty Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:05 AM   #70
ant f
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Barber
It is Charley's show.
i thought it was the races show, but charlie was pretty determined to not be upstaged.
ant f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #71
sas
Thumper Girl

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by idea man
Covelo is WAY off the beaten track and it would give the end some spirituality. Or they could end it on the Sunset Strip, at a nudie bar.
Those are two very different kinds of 'spirit'!

I think they should keep going all the way up to Alaska. LWR was great! I always thought LWD was too whiny, also, but I wouldn't miss watching it because of that.

It is up to editors as to what to put in the movie. Interesting point that they put that kind of stuff in for drama. I found it distracting from the story, there were some really incredible moments they could have expounded upon.

Won't miss LWU. Since they are making the crew an obvious part of the ride, I think they should dump the gear and just play with the bikes a bit more.

'06 Ninja 650r
'93 Honda XR100
'93 Honda 250XR
'83 Kawasaki GPz 550
'71 Triumph Bonneville - Restored, but parts keep falling off!
'73 Honda 350cl that I intend to ride around Lake Huron when we get her running well

Go out for adventure. Come home for love.

sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #72
bullcity
dook sucks

Oddometer: 72
"Originally Posted by idea manCovelo is WAY off the beaten track and it would give the end some spirituality. Or they could end it on the Sunset Strip, at a nudie bar."

Then it would be called "Long Way to get it Up".

bullcity screwed with this post 11-12-2008 at 08:53 AM
bullcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #73
adv365
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220
Doesn't anybody else think they're starting from the wrong end?

Gritty months long adventure, fighting deserts, jungles, banditos, border "helpers" and all sorts of nasty biting things to end up in an exotic..........Sunset Strip nudie bar?

That's a bit like getting a helicopter to drop you off on top of Everest and filming the struggle to get back to the bar, no?
I'm sure the route is 100% dictated by the title. Going from California to South America would be "Long Way Down II." Though I think California is an incredibly anticlimactic ending. They should push on to Prudhoe Bay...ala http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356672

Stopping in California, the show should be called "Half Way Up" and not "Long Way Up."

Either way, I'll watch it. LWR and LWD helped get me back on a bike and are fantastic ways to spend a northern Utah winter!
adv365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #74
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
Perfectly said.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Fighter
I don't question their motivations one bit; both of their previous rides have doubled as fund raisers for UNICEF. So what if they make some money in the process. It has inspired a lot of people and given the world a much broader understanding of what kinds of things are possible with regards to motorcycling.

Are there more challenging ways they could do it? Absolutely. It is still a challenge though, and I've never gotten the impression that they see themselves as pioneers or the ultimate in motorcyclists.

The fact that Ewan has dumped his bike so many times, makes me respect him even more. Sure he gets frustrated, but he keeps getting back on, and keeps setting out for more. I respect that a great deal (maybe because I crash too much myself).

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #75
Digger Deep
Keep 'er Lit

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy
I just finished watching LWD, it was good, but LWR was better. I can't wait for LWU. Those guys are living a bikers dream, and I have the upmost respect for them. Watching LWD is what inspired me to get into adv riding.

Give Ewan a break, he's not a pro rider and rides on the road all the time, so what if he dropped an 800lbs GS a few times in tough conditions after riding his arse off for multiple days. I'd say almost everyone on this forum wouldn't do much better.
well said man
Digger Deep is offline   Reply With Quote