User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #901
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,370
Good to hear, thanks for the update.

I enjoyed the previous two "adventures".
Old 04-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #902
Boston813
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I can't recall if it has been mentioned but Charlie did trips on his own titled "By Any Means" and while they were not strictly by motorcycle they had a similar feel since they had many of the same people involved.

I liked them and would recommend them if you can find them.
Boston813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #903
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,503
What about his Canadien tour? I used to follow him on Twitter...

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #904
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Any news?

Facebook

Old 08-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #905
The Guru
Scotlands finest

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
What about his Canadien tour? I used to follow him on Twitter...
Extreme Frontiers

SV650 SK6 with a few bits and bobs
The Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:14 AM   #906
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
Extreme Frontiers
I watched a few episodes... What is it? National Lampoon: Charlie's Vacation? He rides (when he does) without eye protection and randomly stops at attractions...

Facebook

Old 11-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #907
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Both on Netflix

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 12-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #908
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
The Long Way..Part Three

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
I watched a few episodes... What is it? National Lampoon: Charlie's Vacation? He rides (when he does) without eye protection and randomly stops at attractions...

Facebook
There are plenty of worse shows on tv. Charlie is getting paid to ride and travel. Sounds like good work if you can get it.

SilkMoneyLove screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 07:09 AM
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #909
Grazoid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
There are plenty of worse shows on tv. Charlie is getting paid to ride and travel. Sounds like good work if you can get it.
Which if you ever meet the guy and ask him if the whole thing was two mates blag bikes and then get paid to have a jolly... he just grins and winks then changes the subject
Old 02-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #910
Irkutsk
n00b

Oddometer: 7
First post after years of lurking. I'm not even a biker, although I wish I could be and hopefully will be when my young kids grow up a bit. So for now, I could be called an "aspirational biker".

It was LWR that caught my attention and drew me into the whole beauty of long distance trips by motorbike. Like Mr Dakar on this forum, LWR and LWD became obsessions of mine, to the extent that I have the complete series of both ripped and stored permanently on my computer's hard drive so that I can watch them any time I like, which is normally several times a year. Nothing can lift my mood and morale like watching those pre-trip planning episodes of both series, especially LWR, and I think it was a master stroke by the producers of the show to feature all the trip build-up in such detail.

Naturally, like so many others, I desperately hope for a LWU and regularly search the web for hints of its forthcoming fruition. That said, I don't expect it can happen until Ewan moves back to London, although I could be wrong. I just hope the falling out they had on LWD hasn't killed the chances of LWU ever happening, and certainly there have been crumbs of hope left from some of Charley's comments in recent years. Don't forget, they were talking about LWR for years before they actually got round to doing it.

Anyway, great thread and a great site.
Irkutsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #911
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkutsk View Post
First post after years of lurking. I'm not even a biker, although I wish I could be and hopefully will be when my young kids grow up a bit. So for now, I could be called an "aspirational biker".

It was LWR that caught my attention and drew me into the whole beauty of long distance trips by motorbike. Like Mr Dakar on this forum, LWR and LWD became obsessions of mine, to the extent that I have the complete series of both ripped and stored permanently on my computer's hard drive so that I can watch them any time I like, which is normally several times a year. Nothing can lift my mood and morale like watching those pre-trip planning episodes of both series, especially LWR, and I think it was a master stroke by the producers of the show to feature all the trip build-up in such detail.

Naturally, like so many others, I desperately hope for a LWU and regularly search the web for hints of its forthcoming fruition. That said, I don't expect it can happen until Ewan moves back to London, although I could be wrong. I just hope the falling out they had on LWD hasn't killed the chances of LWU ever happening, and certainly there have been crumbs of hope left from some of Charley's comments in recent years. Don't forget, they were talking about LWR for years before they actually got round to doing it.

Lurk no more, my friend! welcome to the crazy house..... and love every minute of it!

now that you've watched LWR and LWD 100 times, you need to start watching all the other amazing bike movies of which there are many; V Four Victory, The Road Racers, Cycles South!, Moto1, Moto2, Moto3, Moto4, Dust to Glory, True Champion etc etc etc and On Any Sunday if you havent seen it.... and never admit to not having seen it
(and if you havent seen it, quick watch it here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/79438 )

anyways, im a new dad too but Ive had bikes since forever. I CANNOt wait to get my kids out of tiny dirt bikes! Its going to be awhile but we will get there.
Have you owned bikes in the past? talking the wife into bikes, post babies is pretty tricky.... but a family that rides together.... stays together!!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #912
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,668
Quote:

Fanboy.
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #913
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dakar View Post
Fanboy.
Holy shit! That's the pot calling the kettle black to the eleventy billionth power!!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #914
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:

I'm big into the planning aspect too. You can have all kinds of fun right now while the kids are little planning and executing day hikes and even overnight camping trips with the kids.

The logistics of taking kids hiking rivals any long distance bike trip. And the skills directly translate to bike trips later on. So go for it. You might even turn one of the kids into a travel companion later on.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #915
Irkutsk
n00b

Oddometer: 7
@ J Dakar: Yes, I am a fanboy (like you) - I even drove past Ewan's parents house a few years ago when in Scotland for a brief visit (I live in nearby Ireland).

@ eatpasta: Thanks for the list of other biking movies, I will look them up. And no, I have no biking experience and have never so much as ridden a quad bike; I did however cling on to the front of one as its lunatic driver drove me from an isolated ski resort down snow covered hairpin bends in Kyrgyzstan in early 2008, a moment of biting cold and terror rolled into one. I was there visiting my ethnic Russian wife's family.

@ Cafe Racer99: It's really astounding that you should post that, because such thoughts have been knocking around in my head for a while now - and yes, I am a hiker; I usually only hike here in Ireland, but have done it in the Alps and Scotland as well. The Mrs is insisting that she comes too when I finally bring the kids (they're both under 4 years old at the minute so it's a bit too soon), but my theory is she will see I'm sensible enough with them after one or two trips and then she'll be too turned off by the experience to tag along for later trips. The ultimate fantasy though remains to do a long road trip into the east with my son, maybe when he's a teenager.
Irkutsk is offline   Reply With Quote