Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008, 03:36 AM   #91
woot_in_NS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
One more thing - if they're looking for a company, I'm more than willing to saddle up for the trip. Heck, if the role of crash monkey is needed I'll even do that.

From the shows they seemed like regular guys that would be fun to ride with. Sorry I'm not sure the ADV crowd is normal

I always thought they should bring a real nobody on these trips to make the group seem even more regular. I think the big point has been that you don't need to be superhuman to do this. You just need time and money, and a strong desire to get out and do it. The stronger the desire the less money required ;)
woot_in_NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #92
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by woot_in_NS

I always thought they should bring a real nobody on these trips

They did.......Charley Boorman.

Had anyone ever heard of this guy before LWR? He was an out of work actor doing kitchen re-modeling to support his family when the trip started.
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #93
woot_in_NS
Adventurer

Ya - but I mean a guy who never was an actor... sorta like me? ;)
Old 11-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #94
falcojake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
i went to the NEC bike show today in birmingham (uk).

my uncle and i were mooching round the touratech stand whan my uncle says 'hey look theres charley borman, and hes changing a light bulb'

so i looked round and there he was standing in a chair adjusting a light a few feet away. (he was doing a book signing). later tory corsa came along and started talking to charley.surreal

all three of charleys TV show bikes were on display on the adjacent BMW stand.

anyway charley wasnt in south america. but i must admit i didnt talk to him or ask him about his plans.

falcojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #95
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Ya - but I mean a guy who never was an actor... sorta like me? ;)

I know what you mean, but that would still apply to Boorman.
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #96
woot_in_NS
Adventurer

LOL - we know who Charlie would veto, but when Ewan's in a mood he might pick you ;)
Old 11-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #97
EEzz-rider
185lbs of creamy goodness

Oddometer: 73
Celebrity...non-celebrity....he was doin this befor the ride ....the other guy was doin that befor the ride....who cares. IMHO these guys are bikers just like the rest of us when they put on that gear and head out on the road. They are exposed to all the same risks (more or less) as the rest of us when there out there. Much respect to both of these guys for having the balls to do what I can only imagine (at this piont in my riding life) are very challenging rides. Hell I give them props just for blowin off there regular jobs and going riding. I wish I could do it more often

Cpt. Willard Apocalypse Now

"To infinity and beyond!!!" .....Buzz Lightyear
EEzz-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #98
dusty308
wanderer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEzz-rider
Celebrity...non-celebrity....he was doin this befor the ride ....the other guy was doin that befor the ride....who cares. IMHO these guys are bikers just like the rest of us when they put on that gear and head out on the road. They are exposed to all the same risks (more or less) as the rest of us when there out there. Much respect to both of these guys for having the balls to do what I can only imagine (at this piont in my riding life) are very challenging rides. Hell I give them props just for blowin off there regular jobs and going riding. I wish I could do it more often
what does IMHO mean??
Old 11-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #99
MarcMuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West
They did.......Charley Boorman.

Had anyone ever heard of this guy before LWR? He was an out of work actor doing kitchen re-modeling to support his family when the trip started.
Sorry but I have to bring this one up.....a lot of the comments here are about how little value LWD and LWR have just because of Mcgregor's fame and high profile and at the same time, I read ignorant and envious comments like the one above "Charlie Boorman is nothing but a kitchen remodeler and blah, blah...." so, I find it pretty contradicting and stupid. First of all....who the fuck cares what he does or did for a living, all that matters is that he went on an amazing trip and shared it with all of us. Second, I never heard him proclaim himself a Hollywood star....in fact, he doesn't even talk about it even though he's been in movies since the early 70s in about 11 or so films.....more than enough to call himself an actor.
Last but not least, I think I'll never be able to go on an epic ride.....since I'm just a simple musical instruments sales person.....maybe I'll go to school and become a lawyer or a doctor or I'll be like one of the assholes in JoMomma bragging about their financial success.............before I'm worthy of getting on a bike and go.
Also, I swear I'll never take the opportunity to enjoy an experience like this if one of my rich and famous friends wants to help me become part of the Production Team, generate a great business opportunity and the chance to help others at the same time....and I'd rather die before all of the above gets me free BMW R1200GSAs and Snap-On tools an all the other sponsorship perks Charlie Boorman got.......no fucking way in hell!!!!!!!

I wonder what the negative bunch think of StrikingViking and Pyndon....they shure go out of their way to share their rides with us and all they get is nothing but ass kissing and praise......

MarcMuller screwed with this post 12-01-2008 at 08:17 PM
MarcMuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #100
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenwerk
Well, I for one am happy they are going to make another series - the previous have been quite entertaining. I must say that I agree with some here that California is only "The Long Way *Half*way up"... I also know that Charlie also reads these forums so... Charlie, I know you are reading this... dinner is on me when you get to British Columbia - continue the "up" and go all the way to Inuvik - even though you covered most that that boring highway on the LWR!
If they did continue on past LA and SF and got up into BC, they would be best served to go over to the Cassiar and go up that way. Of course that would leave Quesnel out of the way (sorry). Then the only parts they'd retrace would be the part between Watson Lake and Whitehorse. They could decrease this even more if they took the Campbell highway from Watson Lake.
Their reason for not going all the way up, is again, time away from the fam. Can't blame them on that. I'm just glad they are doing another one and hope they finish off the series with a Lap of OZ. They could call it All the Way Round .
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]

idea man screwed with this post 12-16-2008 at 08:25 PM
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #101
falcojake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcMuller
Sorry but I have to bring this one up.....a lot of the comments here are about how little value LWD and LWR have just because of Mcgregor's fame and high profile and at the same time, I read ignorant and envious comments like the one above "Charlie Boorman is nothing but a kitchen remodeler and blah, blah...." so, I find it pretty contradicting and stupid. First of all....who the fuck cares what he does or did for a living, all that matters is that he went on an amazing trip and shared it with all of us. Second, I never heard the proclaim himself a Hollywood star....in fact, he doesn't even talk about it even though he's been in movies since the early 70s in about 11 or so films.....more than enough to call himself an actor.
Last but not least, I think I'll never be able to go on an epic ride.....since I just a simple musical instruments sales person.....maybe I'll go to school and become a lawyer or a doctor or I'll one of the assholes in JoMomma bragging about their financial success.............before I'm worthy of getting on a bike and go.
Also, I swear I'll never take the opportunity to enjoy an experience like this if one of my rich and famous friends wants to help me become part of the Production Team, generate a great business opportunity and the chance to help others at the same time....and I'd rather die before all of the above gets me free BMW R1200GSAs and Snap-On tools an all the other sponsorship perks Charlie Boorman got.......no fucking way in hell!!!!!!!

I wonder what the negative bunch think of StrikingViking and Pyndon....they shure go out of their way to share their rides with us and all they get is nothing but ass kissing and praise......

nooooooo never say never....if you want to do it say f***ck it and do it.

dan walsh did it on a n xt 600 no camera crew, no backup support crew...read 'these are the days you must have' he was a journalist and reported back to ride magazine once in a while.

of course ted simon did it before i was born on a triumph t100.

lois price did it..and shes a girl!

i saw i nick sanders guy who did it on an R1 see http://parallelworld.hein-gericke.com/

but closest to my heart (because he did it on an unreliable aprilia, wouldnt trust mine to get me to dover) this guy "spitfire tripple" took redundancey and wrote a blog during his trip to share it with us all

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=159832

and these guys should get more respect because they did it without sponsorship and proved that you dont need all the latest and most expensive gear, sponsorship etc to do it.

what it does take is the guts to do it and leave your wife, kids etc etc behind.

best thing i would say is not to get dragged into marage 2.4 kids mortgages etc.....that certainly f***cks things up.

falcojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:37 AM   #102
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEzz-rider

+1
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:53 AM   #103
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,732
We loved the first one Long Way..
Enjoyed the second one...
I know we will like the third one...
Hey whats better then two buds taking a moto ADV !!!

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #104
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
I'm interested to see what they do... and disappointed they don't keep going north.
So Charlie reads this forum?

HEY CHARLIE!!! WHEN YOU GET TO CALIFORNIA, LEAVE THE BIKES WITH JAY LENO, GO HOME FOR A VISIT, THEN COME BACK AND FINISH THE TRIP TO THE ARCTIC OCEAN!!
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #105
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones
So Charlie reads this forum?

HEY CHARLIE!!! WHEN YOU GET TO CALIFORNIA, LEAVE THE BIKES WITH JAY LENO, GO HOME FOR A VISIT, THEN COME BACK AND FINISH THE TRIP TO THE ARCTIC OCEAN!!
Heck of an idea.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote