Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #226
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
I think $600 is a lot of dosh to spend. I don't doubt they'll feel "better" than the stockers, but $600 better? I don't know. The work Aftershocks mentioned in their conversation with itsatdm is probably a third of that biturbo kit, and probably gets you 90% there, or more. Add emulators (when they're released) to get to 98% of the biturbo kit...of course, now you're closer to $400. So...perhaps its better to bit the bullet on the extra $200. I just don't know.

Also, like itatdm said a while back (echoed by Aftershocks), the rear suspension plays just as much a part on the front as the front suspension does. If I'm going to spend $600 (or any significant amount of money, for that matter) on my suspension: 1. I want to get the most for my money. 2. I want to fix the weak link.

The problem is there's not enough trailblazing (like itsadtm did) out there to figure out what the best bang/buck might be, nor is there consensus on exactly what the weak link is.

IMHO, unless you're a twig or a tank, I'd suggest spending time DIYing with the tweaks that are easy, free/cheap, and reversible: Fork height, fork oil viscosity and height, fork spacer length, and of course the factory preload and damping in the rear.

Anyone know how the rear shock attaches at the top? Can you put spacers in there to raise the ride height without adjusting the preload? Kinda does the same as raising the forks, except you don't lose swingarm angle...
We all have opinions. I'm going to address my suspension the way I listed in my above post. I'm going to try the Bitubo cartridges and leave the rear stock. To each his own.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #227
gregf
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Keep us posted ..... can't wait to hear how it works out .... what are the lead times on the kit currently?
gregf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #228
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf
Keep us posted ..... can't wait to hear how it works out .... what are the lead times on the kit currently?
I will. I've got to get the money first!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #229
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,164
Griz, Did you hear back from the vendor in Pa. ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #230
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Griz, Did you hear back from the vendor in Pa. ?
Didn't hear back yet. I'll try them again tomorrow. I've been out riding!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #231
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Im going to probably just slip these in myself. Ill ride right out there. Its about 1.5 hours from here.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #232
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Keep me posted. I'd love to hear your honest response to them.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #233
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

$$$
I bet you would !

Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #234
Huesero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Traxxion dynamics makes a modular kit that will fit the F800 too, the AK20. They said they have to put fork extenders in it. Additionally, they machine caps in house to give you preload and compression adjustments additional to rebound, of course. It's quite expensive [~$1k for the kit], but I'm thinking about it for my F800 -- especially since it's modular and can be re-used in subsequent bikes... The F800 can have the stock internals re-installed when it's time....if ever.
Huesero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #235
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Griz,
I just hung up with them. Turns out the importer is Hermy who owns Hermys BMW in Port Colden PA. ! I feel much better about buying them from a BMW dealer. Ill be talking to Hermy directly on Monday. These forks have got to go, my teeth are coming loose !

Old 04-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #236
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

More on the Bitubo's.

http://bitubo-raceservice.blogspot.c...n-offroad.html

Old 04-19-2009, 04:17 AM   #237
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 377
Great find Frank. Nice to see two promising choices, Traxxion Dynamics & Bitubo. Looking fwd to hearing results.

- M.
Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:02 AM   #238
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magile
Great find Frank. Nice to see two promising choices, Traxxion Dynamics & Bitubo. Looking fwd to hearing results.

- M.
Glen,
Hoping to have them in before the DD DS next month. Janet said you guys will be there Sat, so I'll look for you.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #239
Huesero
Adventurer

Traxxion front fix

I was a little too excited on Friday, and clearly posted this in the wrong thread - oops!
So, I decided that I was willing to get the AK20 cartridge system from Traxxion Dynamics for my F800. It's modular, so I knew I could use it again in the "next" bike. Wanted to report the "saga" of today to you all.

I got up there to Woodstock, GA [a bit north of Atlanta], and they yanked my forks, and opened them up. The tech working on them was like, "Oh shit, they're Marzocchis....we can't do much to them. They're awful." He tested the stock springs, and they came out to about 0.50 kg/mm. For my weight [145 lbs. soaking wet], I should have .80 to .85. But, the forks are really long...custom [longer] springs might be needed...

So, they found their rod stock for the rebound was 24" - exactly what they needed. He added fork extenders to take up a bit of space needed to use the AK20 system in the longer forks.

Six and one half hours later, I've got the bike back, and it's freakin' phenomenal on the front end. The tech put in 0.85 kg/mm springs, 7w oil, and machined caps for the top end, so I have adjustments. The left leg adjusts compression, the right rebound.

He found the stock fork would "vapor lock," if that's the right term, at about 160 mm travel. I now have 195mm of fork travel....smoothest fork ever. To the rear, he added most of the available rebound adjustment, which sped the rebound considerable, and essentially matching the front end.

I paid $1075 for this. They charged me for the AK20 kit [$999.95], and the materials for the fork caps.

An expensive fix, but I'm here to tell you that my 30 mile ride home felt like I was riding on air, but with great feel. The interstates aren't great here, but to go over big bumps [such as onto and off a bridge], the wheels feel like they're reaching out to grab the pavement. This in lieu of seemingly waiting for the impact and wallowing a bit.

Totally worth it. I'm riding the Cherohala Skyway tomorrow with a couple of buddies - will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #240
Huesero
Adventurer

380 miles on AK20 setup

For some detailed impressions of the setup and results:

1. Brake dive is about half what it was - and much more controlled than previously. I'm more confident entering curves as a result.

2. Front end feel has been enhanced to a point I didn't think possible. It seems that I can feel changes in gyroscopic motion on the front, and especially can envision what is happening with the road surface, and feel if the tire is hanging on as hoped. I can gauge when it's getting light, if I may use more brake, more lean angle, etc. Fantastic - perhaps only on my race tech-tweaked GSX-R1000 [stolen 2 years ago] was I ever close to that previously.

3. The heavier springs have really helped, as has the rebound control. The steering characteristics were almost flighty before - now, there's a solid, if slightly slower, steering nature in the front, and a slower, more solid response to impacts. Some high frequency vibes that used to get to me past 5500 rpm or so are much reduced. The front seems to reach out and grab the tarmac after going over a big bump - such as onto and off a bridge, versus a collective breath while awaiting an impact and wallow. No suspension wallowing now!

4. The confidence in the front while leaned over is impressive - I'm able to get on the gas sooner, and also able to change lines in the corner with absolute control. Vast, vast improvement.

5. Running up the rebound in the rear was a good move, too - it feels very balanced front to rear, while sufficiently plush to have me feeling pretty good after a 400-mile day yesterday.

Going forward, I might dial in a little bit more spring compression in the front, but otherwise, I think it's set up perfectly for me as is, and I don't anticipate the need to change springs - unless to a heavier set once I start carrying luggage. I can't wait to try it in the dirt.

I was hanging with quite good riders on a GSX-R750 and Triumph TT600 all day yesterday - primarily because I was hunting them down/pushing them through the curves. The suspension certainly did that for me. The Triumph rider took my bike for about 20 miles [and I his], and remarked afterward that even though he's high up, it was great fun to throw that bike around.

Clearly, I might be a little (ok, a lot) "irrationally exuberant" over the change, but it did truly transform the bike. Now for some dirt miles! I'm going to hit some rutted fire roads in the next couple of weeks, and will be eager to see how she does.