User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #691
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Teaser....

Those are 48mm WPs in case anybody is wondering. A lot remains to be done, but I will post the details when it's finished.

Thinking about adapting a WP PDS shock from a KTM as well but it would need a lot of modding, damn reservoir is in the wrong place and the lower attachment won't work (not my picture).

LukasM screwed with this post 05-08-2010 at 07:18 PM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #692
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
It looks like you used the Ktm clamps.
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #693
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,647
I relent!

I beat the shit out of the bottom or tops of my tubes today! I couldn't keep up with the KTMs 950SEs today! I played sweeper all day!
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #694
hackc
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Race Tech

I have been calling Race tech now for the last 3 weeks they dont have the parts and cant give me a date they will have them. The lady to order parts has been full of attitude and not willing to help at all. I want a signifcant upgrade to my suspension but Race tech is not helping does anyone know of any other cartrage kits out there?
hackc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #695
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackc
I have been calling Race tech now for the last 3 weeks they dont have the parts and cant give me a date they will have them. The lady to order parts has been full of attitude and not willing to help at all. I want a signifcant upgrade to my suspension but Race tech is not helping does anyone know of any other cartrage kits out there?
Bitubo released a statement that they are working on a fully adjustable system. Looks bad-ass. Could possibly rival a KTM with these puppies installed!:

Don't know where they're at in development though. Haven't seen any news.

Also, rumor has it that Ohlins is working on fully adjustable cartridges. No actual confirmation from Ohlins as of yet though. They make replacement springs and oil only at the moment.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #696
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Bitubo released a statement that they are working on a fully adjustable system. Looks bad-ass. Could possibly rival a KTM with these puppies installed!:

wow, that's sexy.
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #697
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackc
Traxxion.
Contact Indy Unlimited for details.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #698
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,698
Ohlins has a setup in testing right now as stated by another inmate earlier in this thread. Full cartridge and adjustable was what I was told by Ohlins.
No availability yet.

We'll see.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #699
EasyRiding
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Teaser....

Those are 48mm WPs in case anybody is wondering. A lot remains to be done, but I will post the details when it's finished.

Thinking about adapting a WP PDS shock from a KTM as well but it would need a lot of modding, damn reservoir is in the wrong place and the lower attachment won't work (not my picture).

Looking forward to see the complete set-up of WP on f650gs 2win...
EasyRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #700
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Just out of curiousity, has anyone measured the travel of the rear wheel of their bike when they had the spring off the shock? I mean i know bmw would never publish false info! The reason i'm asking is they list the seat height on the 658 as 32" but now that i finally have the suspension adjusted close it's 35" now it would be 34" if i didn't have a tt high seat but?
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #701
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 362
oil weights

This is proving an interesting and useful thread. What brought me to it was a recent change for the worse in my fork's behavior. I'd left it stock so far, not 'cause it's IDEAL, but 'cause it was really pretty OK 90% of the time so it wasn't my first priority with limited funds. I happen to be a little lighter than many listers at 165lbs + gear, and my measured sag is just barely over 25% of travel. I ride everything from highway to sand & rocks on 2-track jeep trails. If I have a complaint it is uncontrolled springy hobby-horse pitching in really lumpy rocky stuff at slow speeds. But anyway:

A little while ago my dealer replaced fork seals for me under warranty. It was a couple more months before I got to ride the bike again (waiting for other parts), but when I did I found something was wrong; the fork pogoed rapidly in the upper portion of it's travel while just motoring on pavement to work and back. Fairly quick bouncing, set up by nothing in particular, and most evident between 30 & 50 mph. steady speeds. Any time I was working the suspension harder that feeling went away. This problem is what caused me to return to this thread.

I started looking into it, and found that the BMW mechanic had taken it upon himself to use BMW PN 31429062158 oil, which is 10wt. The original spec. is BMW PN 83192182459, which is 7.5wt. He did fill to the correct capacity. I pass this on in case it happens to anyone else. I'm not sure if the guy thought he was doing me a favor, or if there is a new service bulletin out there advising it, or just didn't have the right oil available, but at least now I know that with stock springs and stock cartridges, heavier oil is not the way to go! (for me; YMMV) Makes me think I might try refilling with lighter oil instead, like 5wt . . .
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #702
ecce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I like the thread but I would like to put to the record that the f800gs actually has pretty good suspension. I am able to go very quick on gravel as well as quick and tight pavement and most importantly have fun in the woods on single tracks in a fun, safe and durable way. Most of the time when I cannot get going further it is because of too much mud and yes the 17" in the back does not open up for a lot of choices when it comes to tires but then again I want, and bought, a dual sport not an enduro bike - yet I seem to have quite a lot of fun when riding together with other people who have the larger enduros such as the ktm 690 etc.

The rear on the f800gs is not that bad. If you have an issue I guess you have emptied all the possibilities when it comes to preload and rebound?? and if you are heavy weight have replaced the spring?? And you have made sure that the issue lies not in the maintenance / parking stand (is that what it is called..?)?

The front is more of an issue but the still very good and versatile given the different ways this bike is ridden. In my case I happen to be 10kg/20punds overweight (due to being tall of course), which means that I will probably replace the front springs but not the oil or anything else.

There are few bikes you can ride long stretches in full comfort as well as have fun in the dirt in combination with long service intervals and a pretty solid engine and chassis from a durability perspecitve.

Frankly I dont get all the whine!!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #703
ecce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
To further strenghten my case. The r1200gs is the best bike in the world. All aspects considered and accounted for.

Still, it is not the best bike for me right now. The f800gs is..

If the 800gs had a higher seat, was leaner, weighed less and had even more offroad oriented suspension it would be an enduro. In which case the bike would not be right for me right now and not for a majority of the people that buy the bike,

I seriously quesion whether the people that whine on the poor suspension of the f800gs knows how to ride the bike or if they are simply owning the wrong bike.

Every bike can be made better or further tweaked in one particular owners given interest or perspective from a driving style point of view. There are tons of guys and girls out there who buy new and upgraded suspension for their mx bikes as well as their road bikes.

To go from there to call the f800gs suspension poor is a veeeery long strectch.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #704
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Let the beatings begin....
Old 05-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #705
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
There is dirt and there is dirt. Try riding it over some baby head size rocks at speed and report your findings.

The cartridge tubes just do not respond well to high speed compression. They do the equivalent of hydrolock.

This is the 3rd time I wish I took of pictures of my route Friday. I managed to bottom a set of .55kg Olins so hard it rang like a bell. Can't imagine what the stock .46kg springs would have done.

If you are happy with stock, more power to you. Some of us must ride faster or tougher ground.