Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #31
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris6_85
thanks for looking into that for me. i really want to try it however local shop said if i put that tire on my 230 im looking for problems even if it clears.. wonder what they think could go wrong.
If you will have clearance you will be fine.

If you are riding on the pavement at all then the MT43 is about the only trials tire you should use - the competition trials tires are good off-road, but too soft for any pavement mileage. Maybe that is what they were thinking of?
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #32
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc
In my northeast conditions (Ontario), I have been finding that there are just too many wet/muddy sections which are difficult on the trials tire that outweigh the conditions where it shines (rocky technical hillclimbs, etc.). Perhaps if I was riding the same technical stuff in drier terrain, it would be the ticket.
Love it here in Az - dry as it gets.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #33
Chris6_85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
sounds good so if i get the tire im afraid i will need a longer chain... any suggestions on what chain to get or do i break my chain and put a master in it... if i do that i prolly will need a shop do do that. also any type of chain better than others?
Chris6_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #34
kT13
Fat Rob

Oddometer: 34
sizing

wonder if I could run Mt 43 as a replcement for a 140/80-18 ?
looking to run on a 690E

Robt
kT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #35
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by kT13
wonder if I could run Mt 43 as a replcement for a 140/80-18 ?
looking to run on a 690E

Robt
It replaced that size tire on my bike.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #36
robodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Bike set-up with trial tire. MT-43

This tire gets such good traction that it tends to launch the front end in tight or steep technical sections. After tipping over, or trying to catch a launching bike, my father in law suggested I use tire pressure to mellow the launch effect. I would raise the tire pressure until I found a sweet spot between traction and controlability. Eighteen pounds for desert conditions, let's me get through the big rock sections with great traction, yet allowing me to get through big sand washes.
In the forest, I like to run sixteen psi as an overall perfect package. Single track, jeep roads, and big granite rocks get equally great traction. This higher psi also keeps me from pinched flats in the desert, and sharp sticks from puncturing the tire in the forest.

robodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #37
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
I'm surprised you "need" to run such high pressures. Maybe a little better throttle control would help? You're certainly loosing a lot of traction off-road at those pressures; why not just run a knobby? If you don't want the extra traction of the trials tire, a knobby is a better choice as it's more controllable in the corners.

I've found this tire to be really good at 8-9 psi in the woods; I'd go down to 6 psi if I weren't riding on the pavement as well. For long stretches of pavement and gravel roads I'm running 12 psi.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #38
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
I found 18 psi in sand terrible. Even at 12 i never pinched but did manage to stick a catus thorn through. More pressue wouldn't have stopped that.

One finger on the clutch is the loop out answer. Easier to modulate than the right hand only.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #39
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
I found 18 psi in sand terrible. Even at 12 i never pinched but did manage to stick a catus thorn through. More pressue wouldn't have stopped that.

One finger on the clutch is the loop out answer. Easier to modulate than the right hand only.
Yep - learned that the hard way.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #40
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,865
I've been running one at 14 psi, but I'm heavy and a lot of times run the bike on the heavy side. I pinch flatted at that pressure, but it wasn't what you might think. I must not have tightened the rim lock down enough and when I hammered the throttle on pavement it spun the tire on the rim ever so slightly, pinching the tube under the rim lock.

It's also mounted on a cush drive wheel I bought when I had an LC4 (625).
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #41
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick
I've been running one at 14 psi, but I'm heavy and a lot of times run the bike on the heavy side.
Good point. I commented above about running at 8-9 psi in the woods (lots of roots and rocks = pinchflat opportunities) with no problems, but I'm a lightweight at ~150 lbs. My bike is a DR350; actual bike weight with toolbag and gas is ~330 lbs.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #42
robodave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Control...

My throttle control is just fine, so is my riding. I'm sure you guy's are great riders...all I have to do is ask. I am a big guy, 235lb, which changes a few things. These psi figures are an example of how to adjust traction on the fly. I have run my tire as low as 10 to 12, but found out that higher psi worked overall. The Mojave desert is not a forgiving place,and most riders will run higher psi out here. If you have not changed one of these on the trail, they can be difficult. In the Sierras, some guy's will run 8 to 12, depending on conditions. I ran the last dual sport ride at 14, but had very little road sections.
I'm not trying to tell you what to do, I just wanted to offer a way to adjust traction on the fly. This tire is as good as it gets. Sharp, rocky desert conditions are not the same as loamy Washington or quick sand Florida. I hope to make it to the NW to try out this tire in loamy condition. If you want to see what conditions I ride in, check out my blog http://www.iridedualsport.com and check out Mojave. Send me some pics and videos from your rides and I will post them. I would like to compaare terrain types and riding styles to this tire.
robodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #43
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,437
I run 6-8 psi in the trials tires on my KTM XCFW 250.
I also use the Tubliss setup.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #44
kT13
Fat Rob

Oddometer: 34
front tyre choice

It's starting to look like the next tire for me (MT43) So what is a good partner for the front ?

Current MT21 F TKC R 690E

conditiions ........ gravel, cinders, areas with multiple cond, woods, slab any where from 1 mile to 200 miles to get to areas.

Robt
kT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #45
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by kT13
It's starting to look like the next tire for me (MT43) So what is a good partner for the front ?

Current MT21 F TKC R 690E

conditiions ........ gravel, cinders, areas with multiple cond, woods, slab any where from 1 mile to 200 miles to get to areas.

Robt
If you are looking for an agressive front DOT tire check out the Pirelli Scorpion Pro.....a lot more bite then the MT21.....but to match up for Dual Sport riding the Mt21 front is just fine.....

As far as tire pressure when I had 14 psi in my MT43 it made control on gravel rather "fun" so to speak....8 psi works fine on all surfaces for me....

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote