Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Scribe OP
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,356
A Kiwi, two fleas and a Turk do Copper Canyon

OK guys, let's rub this one out quick.

Back in June, I got the stupid idea to drive all the way across half the country to attend the Chabochis rally down in Creel. Creel is a long way from Flatistan, in case you haven't looked at a map lately. (I was going to insert a nifty Google map to help make my point, but I can't figure it out. Screw it. Go look at a map for yourself and then nod your head in agreement, K?)

A lot of people expressed interest initially, a few hung around, others dropped in and out. It's the nature of planning a trip like this. It takes a special kind to want to drive 4,000-plus miles on a week of vacation, including some 60 hours wadded up in a Nissan Frontier listening to XM and eating Funyuns. Only the strong survive. Introductions are in order:

Ray, a.k.a. Fatalerror, The Driving Bitch, That Fucking Kiwi. Originally from South Africa, which makes him not a Kiwi at all, but all them foreigners sound the same, right? (Inside joke. Save the crabbing, please.)

Eloy, goes by the ADV handle Dr. Z. Likes to dress in bright frilly shawls. Make of that what you will. Florida Sand Flea No. 1.

Levent, known around these parts as Capotourer. Originally from Germany, grew up in Turkey and now lives in Sarasota. Claims he has no offroad skills yet was able to pilot a Caponord to Batopilas, a feat that has my butt clenching just thinking about it. He's the one in the middle without a weapon.

And yours truly, squatting like a constipated mountain goat in this lovely self portrait. Florida Sand Flea No. 2.

Let's do this thing communally, shall we? I'll start.

The trip almost didn't happen at all due to the fact that our border crossing of choice, Presidio Texas, was under water for about three weeks. Going all the way to El Paso would have added another 500 miles to an already ridiculous amount of driving. Going across anywhere further west would mean way more Mexican miles, which is not a bad thing unless you have to keep a really tight schedule. So I actually wasn't planning on going at all until a week before the show, when I got a PM from Tury, a well-known Chihuahua connection and all-around great guy, that the flood waters had subsided. So we decide to roll.

We left town on a Tuesday evening. Actually it was supposed to be Tuesday evening, but it turned into Tuesday night when we finally got nearly one ton of motorcycles loaded on a borrowed trailer. Dr. Z and I were under the impression that Ray was going to show up with the truck at about 5 ish. Ray was under the impression that he was going to show up at about 7:30 ish.

Dr. Z waits impatiently to get the Death March to the border at Presidio under way.

When we realized Ray wasn't going to get to my place for two more hours, we did what any good ADV rider would: grabbed some food and a few cervezas. I got no pics of that. Dr. Z?

I'm going to bed now. Feel free to jump in, gentlemen.

Scribe screwed with this post 10-24-2008 at 09:52 AM
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,153
Bed?

Hey, get back to it. We want more!
Old 10-24-2008, 06:11 AM   #3
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,473
Power to the weapons.... more pics.....
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp

Oddometer: 11,993

The Scrub The Swamp
Jack Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
Scribe OP
£Bob£

Correction!

I have just been informed that the title of this thread contains a grievous error: Levent is not a Kraut who grew up in Turkey, he's a Turk who grew up in Germany. D'oh! We strive for accuracy here in ride reports.

Mods: Can I change the thread title to:
A Kiwi, two fleas and a TURK do Copper Canyon?

Thanks.

More to come.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
I was going to change it anyway, as some people will take offense to certain pejorative ethnic words. It'll fix it for you.

Sounds like a great trip..

Old 10-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #7
Scribe OP
£Bob£

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
Capotourer
CapoNoMore

Oddometer: 547
OK Ok here is a small teaser when the Militario came and confiscated my Capo as we entered mexico. His excuse was " A Turk on an italian machine riding in mexico". He said no way Jose and took my bike.
Attached Images

Capotourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Capotourer
CapoNoMore

But Scribe came to the rescue and after an intense battle of the gringo, the Kiwi, the Cuban & the Turk we prevailed and it was weapons down and thumbs up as we conquered the entry in Mehico
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
Capotourer
CapoNoMore

more to come soon as we are still healing our battlescares... ha ha
Old 10-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capotourer
But Scribe came to the rescue and after an intense battle of the gringo, the Kiwi, the Cuban & the Turk we prevailed and it was weapons down and thumbs up as we conquered the entry in Mehico
I'm almost positive the officer on the left was the one that checked me out in may just west of presidio last may. Was that where the picture was shot?
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #12
Scribe OP
£Bob£

[quote=Capotourer]But Scribe came to the rescue and after an intense battle of the gringo, the Kiwi, the Cuban & the Turk we prevailed and it was weapons down and thumbs up as we conquered the entry in Mehico [/quote

Indeed. It was a quick skirmish, but they didn't really stand a chance.

BUT …

Before all that, there was an awful lot of this…

That's Ironman Ray behind the wheel. It'd be 3 a.m., we'd been driving since forever and someone would say, "Hey Ray, need a break? I'll drive."
"I'm fine," would be the answer. "I'll let you know when I need a break."

There was also a lot of this …

With four bikes, four guys and gear, Ray's Nissan Frontier was averaging about 10 mpg. Thank Dog gas was under $3 a gallon most of the trip.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #13
Capotourer
CapoNoMore

As we almost forgot the famous Trailer..........at casa Scribe minutes before the initial departure.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #14
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,689
Like Scribe said, the trip almost didn't happen but ... the planets aligned, there was a blue moon, hell froze over, and, oh yea, most importantly, the flooding resided. I've never been to Mexico and I didn't know what to expect. I had my doubts about going due to the publicity surrounding the gang war situation around different parts of Mexico. However, once there, I never felt we encountered any dangerous predicaments (maybe except for the Salazar encounter... more on that later). The scenery was spectacular and the people were very friendly. Of course, it helps a hell of a lot when you can speakit le spanish.

One of the things that I truly enjoy about this site is the ability to meet folks that share the same passion for adventure as I do. Prior to this rally, I had never ridden with Fatalerror (Ray) or Capotourer (Levent). Good peeps and riders especially taking those 500lb plus pigs down the crappy dirt road to Batopilas!

Well, enough and on with the pics/vids...

On the road from Flatistan to Presidio, I felt like I was in a sardine can in that Nissan Frontier. That sucked and a few of us let Ray know it

To make things worse, the damn tow vehicle averaged between 8-11 MPG the whole way there. Ray, you need to relax and try to stop trying to ram the gas pedal through the floorboard of your truck! Of course, I have to add that the poor little truck was towing about 2500 lbs + of cargo/bikes/trailer.

Next time we need to take the Ratwagon!

I'm pretty sure that sled will get better MPGs!

Onward, here's some pics along the 1600 + mile trek to Presidio...

Here's the obligatory stop at the Awful House for some bacon...

Some of the FF's didn't finish up... WTF...

Random shots along the way in Tejas...

We finally get about 75-100 miles from Presidio after about 24-26 hours of driving and we start looking for a place to sleep for the night. Wouldn't you know it, an effin seismic monitoring company had booked up most of the rooms of a dilapidated joint we were thinking of spending the night in. The guy only had a single bed room. Nobody wanted a spooning party on a single bed so we emphatically turned down the room.

We checked another couple of hotels in the area. This one looked to be M/C friendly... Ray tries to ride a clapped out Yami...

We later settled on this place...

I'll post some more pics later...

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff

Dr.Z screwed with this post 10-30-2008 at 06:21 PM
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
Scribe OP
£Bob£

Good point about the "warnings" on travel in Mex. If you read the State Department's website it sounds like Mexico is as dangerous a place as Afghanistan. Then you go there and people are nothing but friendly and helpful.

The cops in Texas, however, another story. Here's Ironman Ray earning himself a little love letter from the Texas Highway Patrol. I think it was like 78 in a 70. They shot him over a hill before he even knew they were there, but they let him off with a warning.