User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Visigothic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Wicked The new KTM 690DS

I'm just sitting around here and still kicking around the idea of the perfect ADV bike. The KTM 690 DS

Lets take a 530 EXC frame and drop a 690R engine in it with a kick starter in addition to the magic button.

KTM 6.3 gal tank

Rational: This would give us a long maintenece interval bike with a fuel load of 6.3 gal and still weigh less than 300 lbs. beating the 690R by 10 lbs which has only 3.2 gals

Use a carb. to keep it simple, no FI stealing strator power from other things.

Euro LED lighting all around

Two 12 volt plugs.

2.5" rear rim w/cush hub.

Helmet lock.

The sub frame could be easily beefed up to haul a load.

"Achtung KTM horst du?" Hey KTM are you listening?

Visigothic screwed with this post 01-31-2011 at 08:22 PM
Visigothic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
That bike exists,
the 690 enduro.

Adding beefier frames and a 690 motor to a 530EXC will only make it the same weight as the current 690...
If you want a carb, buy an FCR41 and remove the fuel injection from the current 690, and add the safari tank.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Or better yet just outfit the 530 with an oil cooler and a good seat and be happy.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:53 AM   #4
Dazed Productions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I have problems with vibrations and my hands. If I were to do an engine transplant into a EXC frame to a more robust engine, it would have to be a smooth one. So one of the japanese or a rotax lump.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:25 AM   #5
Ronbum77
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visigothic View Post

still weigh less than 300 lbs. beating the 690R by 10 lbs
If you're really concerned about 10 lbs, join the gym.

And like ADVJake said, this bike already exists.

You could probably shave close to 10lbs off the 690R anyway with different exhausts.
Ronbum77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed Productions View Post
I have problems with vibrations and my hands. If I were to do an engine transplant into a EXC frame to a more robust engine, it would have to be a smooth one. So one of the japanese or a rotax lump.

Aside from the fact that the bike in question already exists....the new 690 engine is a world of difference in the smoothness department compared to the older 640 engines and just about all the other thumpers out there.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #7
Visigothic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbum77 View Post
If you're really concerned about 10 lbs, join the gym.

And like ADVJake said, this bike already exists.

You could probably shave close to 10lbs off the 690R anyway with different exhausts.
Hitting the gym is an option for sure, my wife would agree errr anyway....
What I was trying to point out is you can keep the same weight with more fuel with better durability, better turning and no FI. The 690 will go from 310 to 350 + or - when adding the additional fuel weight. Yes we could replace the pipe and lose 10 lbs but then again we can do that also on the fictional DS as well. I would think the lightest you could get a 690 down to in ADV form would still be 330 maybe 320 lbs with extra fuel and the extras. Maybe someone has the weight spec.s on the two different mills and we can see just for fun what it would end up being. The lightest we could get the fictional DS down to with 6 gal. would be perhaps 270 lbs. A "WAG" of about 30 to 50 lbs. difference. As another stated Im not sure the 530 frame could hold the new powerplant or much less fit but since we are goofing around with this and having fun why not ponder it.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
MrMike
No self control

Oddometer: 792
Eh? Weight

my '09 530 on race car scales.......with 5.5 gallon tank full, oil cooler, larger stator, larger battery, fan kit, stock exhaust, and 10 pounds of full tank bag = 320 pounds.
'06 Ktm 950 SM
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Dazed Productions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
the new 690 engine is a world of difference in the smoothness department compared to the older 640 engines and just about all the other thumpers out there.
Thanks, daft as it may seem, I didn't know that, I thought all the LC4s had bad vibrations. Glad to see they fixed the issue.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
Visigothic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
my '09 530 on race car scales.......with 5.5 gallon tank full, oil cooler, larger stator, larger battery, fan kit, stock exhaust, and 10 pounds of full tank bag = 320 pounds.
Perfect, now we have a data point to work off of.

320lbs - 20lbs stock pipe & tank bag = 300 + 10 lbs for the additional 1.6 gal of fuel back up to 310lbs. Thats taking into account we call it square and assume that the added weight of the oil cooler,fan etc. are a wash for the 690 mill. Infact I think this might be a conservative WAG. I'll call it 300lbs again.

This leads me to think that the lightest one could get a 690 down to with additional fuel is about 328 lbs.

690r: 305 dry - 10lbs (pipe) 295 + fuel 3.1 gal stock + rally raid tanks 2.5gal only gives you 5.6 gal. total weight of 328lbs +-

or

Safari (Butt ugly) tank is 3.7 gals giving you 6.8 gal total
690r : 305lbs dry -10lbs (pipe) 295 + 6.8 gal = 335 lbs +-

This goes in hand with my original idea that you could have more fuel (6 gals +) with the same maintinence as a 690r in a lighter bike. If you want it lighter to ride tight stuff just don't fill it up as much but the option is there. We can still do the de-smog and save even more weight on both.

Yes it's only a 35 lbs savings but is's an option being that you don't have to fill it up all the way.

Now was that fun or what????? Hmmm to what end I'm still not sure.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visigothic View Post
I'm just sitting around here and still kicking around the idea of the perfect ADV bike. The KTM 690 DS

Lets take a 530 EXC frame and drop a 690R engine in it with a kick starter in addition to the magic button.

KTM 6.3 gal tank

Rational: This would give us a long maintenece interval bike with a fuel load of 6.3 gal and still weigh less than 300 lbs. beating the 690R by 10 lbs which has only 3.2 gals

Use a carb. to keep it simple, no FI stealing strator power from other things.

Euro LED lighting all around

Two 12 volt plugs.

2.5" rear rim w/cush hub.

Helmet lock.

The sub frame could be easily beefed up to haul a load.

"Achtung KTM horst du?" Hey KTM are you listening?

It needs a wide ratio 6 speed, like they already have in the exc.--- They have everything that is needed to build the ultimate ds bike but, Somebody at KTM has their head stuck up their ass.

rufus screwed with this post 02-02-2011 at 11:18 AM
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
That bike exists,
the 690 enduro.

THERE IS NO FRAME UNDER THE MOTOR!!! Also needs a wr 6 speed. And a Conventional fuel tank so we can switch according to our needs, and a kickstarter because batteries go dead. And enough electricity to run the bike, gps, heated grips and heated gear, and a comfortable seat.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,331
Why not just single oil sump the 530 and BB it from Thumper Racing to an honest 610cc? You get the frame, the displacement, the kicker, the trans, the steering range, an awesome carby and just about every imaginable upgrade option bolts on with the lower weight to begin with!!!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Why not just single oil sump the 530 and BB it from Thumper Racing to an honest 610cc? You get the frame, the displacement, the kicker, the trans, the steering range, an awesome carby and just about every imaginable upgrade option bolts on with the lower weight to begin with!!!
Exactly what I decided to do, although mine will be a short stroke 520.
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
Visigothic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Logic would dictate that the 530 would be more durable due to the power loading per cc.

530: 1hp per 11.3cc

690: 1hp per 10.3cc

The single sump mod I guess gives all the oil an opportunity to do it's job.
Many have stated here that the 530 trans oil looks fine after days of running while the engine side runs like black coffee at change (grounds included) after only a few hours.

Ktm needs to beef up the 530 for the long haul or drop the 690 mill in with a kicker and carb to create a true dual sport/ADV bike. The 530 seems almost there.

I guess they could just re-write the 530 manual to extend service intervals and that would magicly fix everything.