Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2015, 02:31 AM   #1
An-tonio OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Question G650X Challenge. High fuel consumption

Hi All,

mi XC is near 70mil kms (hard off-road ridding) in counter and it started to give some old age signs...

I'm really happy, in this time I have only had to change tyres, chain, oil and repair stupid bmw origin design but never had to open engine, nor make a valves adjustment, nor change water pump... it's a great engine.

But It now it started with an strange symptom. Normally if the air filter is clean, consumtion is between 4 and max 5 litre / 100 kms... really good. But now comsumption raised to near 7 litres, not normal. Air filter is OK so, maybe a broken sensor ? I have bmw far from home to check ECU, but surely I will have to check it... Any idea which sensor can cause this high consumption ? Maybe spark plug or inyector ?

I have noted also water pump started to fail and when I ride few minutes and check oil level I find white cream (water) on top of oil tank plug. But when engine get really hot it don't happend anymore until next day cold start (condensation?). I don't know if its related.

Thanks for your opinions!
Regards.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:23 AM   #2
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 672
Someone may know a secret about the 652 that I don't, but normally a failed water pump will not cause water to get into the oil. I wouldn't run the motor until that was sorted out. Water in the oil is a bad sign and makes for a bad lubricant. That may be part of your fuel economy problem. Another possible issue might be the lambda sensor on the exhaust. It measures the amount of unburned fuel so the computer can adjust the injector. If it is bad that may cause the motor to run rich.