Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #1651
rmarkr
Squatter

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet
Here's info on the lift links shown on the F 650 Dakar thread. For guys that have done the fork conversion and need to raise the rear suspension for better clearance and balance and DON'T HAVE $1,000 left over for a new shock...
A shorter dogbone concern:
When I was hassling with my shock I tried the (15mm) shorter dogbone from Koubalink (fits the Funduro). I assembled the links on the bike without the shock to see how they would work. I was alarmed at he angle that is created by the dogbones and the shock carrier link - it was almost flat at full compression. (Needs a picture) This has got to put some serious stress on the mounts and the links/bearings - I feared that it would tear the mounts off of the swingarm if you took a big hit at the rear. On the positive side, it increases the wheel to shock travel ratio (more wheel travel for the same shock stroke)

Bmac - that shock looks good - pity about the delay and to and fro with Klaus. Let us know how it feels. He set mine up for a 80kg rider w/gear, and I find it a little hard.
rmarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #1652
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkr
A shorter dogbone concern:
When I was hassling with my shock I tried the (15mm) shorter dogbone from Koubalink (fits the Funduro). I assembled the links on the bike without the shock to see how they would work. I was alarmed at he angle that is created by the dogbones and the shock carrier link - it was almost flat at full compression. (Needs a picture) This has got to put some serious stress on the mounts and the links/bearings - I feared that it would tear the mounts off of the swingarm if you took a big hit at the rear. On the positive side, it increases the wheel to shock travel ratio (more wheel travel for the same shock stroke)

Bmac - that shock looks good - pity about the delay and to and fro with Klaus. Let us know how it feels. He set mine up for a 80kg rider w/gear, and I find it a little hard.
The ratio is 3.5:1 for figuring height addition on a Dakar or F650. Wouldn't a 15mm change raise the rear about 50mm/2" ?

HH's links are only 7.5mm/1'' raise. I love mine and have no worries that it will create any ill effects. I rode the crap out of mine last weekend and they performed flawlessly. I'll be out again tomorrow night for an all nighter in the ANF

I'd be more worried that the stock 8.8 bolt is going to break, than HH's raising links will destroy my swing arm.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #1653
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,455
I've been riding around on pretty much identical links to herrhelmets for a few months now, hell i did all the research along with jonkem

Mine don't have the same ammount of machine work around the holes as herr's but are otherwise identical.

Absolutly no issues at all, that includes a few 70mph + takeoffs over humpback bridges

btw i also tried the funduro koubalinks, notmybike was almost spot on, they give around a 2 1/2 inch lift. Way too much for the bike, the one inch lift link is only a few mm shorter than the oem link so it won't put too much stress on anything.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017669
It's Santa time folks
rc mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #1654
BMacW650

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
I'll trade you straight across
Why don't we trade our bikes straight up

I was also hoping to see you incorporate the DL1000 shock like you originally planned. But that didn't work out either.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #1655
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650
Why don't we trade our bikes straight up

I was also hoping to see you incorporate the DL1000 shock like you originally planned. But that didn't work out either.
Not that it hadn't worked out, I just decided to ride my stock one into the ground first, which still hasn't happened.

Building my new Husa-style tank opens up pretty much any shock to me with the correct dimensions. I'll be doing the homework over the weekend and next week.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #1656
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad
I've been riding around on pretty much identical links to herrhelmets for a few months now, hell i did all the research along with jonkem

Mine don't have the same ammount of machine work around the holes as herr's but are otherwise identical.

Absolutly no issues at all, that includes a few 70mph + takeoffs over humpback bridges

btw i also tried the funduro koubalinks, notmybike was almost spot on, they give around a 2 1/2 inch lift. Way too much for the bike, the one inch lift link is only a few mm shorter than the oem link so it won't put too much stress on anything.

Thanks RC, and again for doing the R&D. I owe you a favor
Old 06-26-2010, 06:42 AM   #1657
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeemer36
see? Still smiling despite my being a total asshole and making her ride with heavy luggage :) -jk

Photobucket
Asshole ?
Making ?

Dude, it's 2010.
They want equality - why argue

The reason why you're an asshole is that you decided she wanted hard luggage instead og nimble sexy Ortlieb soft ones

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:59 AM   #1658
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Fun for the whole family

I do a lot of riding without my wife , but I love it when she comes along.

redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:53 AM   #1659
TroublesomeD
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Just finished reading the 1665 posts.. again..
As this is my first post, id like to say cheers for the mountains of information here, it sure has made this project a lot easier.

Currently I have a set of yz426 (2001) forks (new oil rings/dust seals and bushes but original springs) with triples, along with an answer low bend protaper bar and 15mm bar adapter/raiser.

Gone with the original beak (well pre-loved), and on with the cycra fender. Credit to Soloyosh for the idea.

Now perhaps with a little more clearance.

As for the hanger, i went for the JohnAero style and decided fabricate it with 3mm steel plate

And that did take one or two attempts between the furnace and the stamp

Drilled and tapped

Cleaned

And finally assembled:

and its not rust, its just reflections from that real shiny por15

and as you might be able to tell, its a weekend affair
But the end result looks the part

However, having said all that.. I hear Rad has some extras on the shelf I'd be real happy to deprive him of!
TroublesomeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #1660
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #1661
jonkem
Got let out early

Oddometer: 172
If anyones still reading this thread...

My personal findings now that it's a 100% sorted front end.

A little caution for any inmates going down the YZ route and getting the fork internals re-worked to suit the bmw. When you spec the springs for your new forks think long and hard beforehand about what your going to be doing with the bike and how it's going to be loaded.

Don't forget that you'll need springs that can do a good job when there's just you on the bike without luggage and a passenger.

I've gone too hard on the lighter end of the progressive springs which isn't too good for stability when the bikes at it's lightest. Richard at HOH has done a fantastic job on the internals and the bike is a dream when fully loaded (or even overloaded ) but if I did this again i'd sacrifice some weight capacity rather than stability at speed when unloaded.

If you don't drive fast, go strong on the spring it's pointy & positive but remember you'll be sitting very upright at speed and that'll lift the front even more
jonkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #1662
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

i went with what richard at hoh recommended, .48 to .56 which was pretty damn good from the outset. I have since added 12mm of preload as the start of the spring seemed just a tad to soft, it's on the money now, carving up corners like nobody's business i can easily carry 5 - 10mph more into a corner just because of the confidence i have in the front end now.

Works just fine with luggage too.

It's Santa time folks
Old 06-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #1663
jonkem
Got let out early

Oddometer: 172
.48 to .56 would probably have been better for me as I haven't spent quite as much on heavyweight TT farkles as RC
jonkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #1664
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad
i went with what richard at hoh recommended, .48 to .56 which was pretty damn good from the outset. I have since added 12mm of preload as the start of the spring seemed just a tad to soft, it's on the money now, carving up corners like nobody's business i can easily carry 5 - 10mph more into a corner just because of the confidence i have in the front end now.

Works just fine with luggage too.

Are we talkin' dirt or street cornering, or both?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #1665
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

hell, i'm in the uk, road riding it is.

very few places to go off road in this country now, and when you do speeds are usually low due to 'ramblers'

It's Santa time folks