ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #1951
mattomoto
2 wheels rule
 
mattomoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: In the shadow of Long's Peak, CO
Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez
Appreciate the tip on the brake lines, but how do I get that boat anchor out of there? It looks like they took an ABS module and built a bike around it.
A big fricken hammer! Mine didn't have it so did not have to deal with that.

Ok, I'll stop drinking and typing- probably a law against that somewhere...

My buddy removed sub frame and tank to get it out. You'll pretty much be taking that off to get too the shock if you are doing that too.

Matto
__________________
Matto
mattomoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #1952
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento CA
Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez
Because I want to. I don't want to have to do this twice. I know nothing about where this triple has been or what kind of life it's had. So, I will make it like new with some new bearings that will fit into the headstock without having to jerry rig the seals.
Did you make sure and get a 125/ 250F stem so you dont have to make a spacer for the top?
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #1953
mrprez
KJ4WMZ
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, Al
Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400
Did you make sure and get a 125/ 250F stem so you dont have to make a spacer for the top?
I did get a stem from a YZ 250 but it seems to be the longer one.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #1954
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!
 
notmybikemodelname's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: I'm in jail Dad, and I like it here.............
Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400
Did you make sure and get a 125/ 250F stem so you dont have to make a spacer for the top?
Or you could just buy one from McFadden-Dale h/w for $.50 like I did. Machined spring steel.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #1955
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento CA
Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez
I did get a stem from a YZ 250 but it seems to be the longer one.
ya i bet it is from a 250 2 stoke. The 250F four stroke came with the shorter one. I ended up buying a full tag set. Some guys in Canada have a few that fit the last year steel frame bikes that had 48mm forks. When they went to a alu frame bike something changed and they would not fit. I think it fits 04 125's and 04-05 250F only. It was discontinued ,I picked up the first set they were selling for 65 bucks, never used. They were 500 new.

link, they are purrdy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190460736796
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #1956
mrprez
KJ4WMZ
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, Al
Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400
ya i bet it is from a 250 2 stoke. The 250F four stroke came with the shorter one. I ended up buying a full tag set. Some guys in Canada have a few that fit the last year steel frame bikes that had 48mm forks. When they went to a alu frame bike something changed and they would not fit. I think it fits 04 125's and 04-05 250F only. It was discontinued ,I picked up the first set they were selling for 65 bucks, never used. They were 500 new.

link, they are purrdy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190460736796
Those are nice. I got the whole forks and triple for $90! They came off a 2000 YZ250. Must be the 2 stroke as it doesn't appear they made the 4 stroke that year. My forks should be at HOH today. Hopefully they can get them modded and turned around pretty quickly. The part number for the 2001 YZ250 and 2001 YZ250f are a bit different.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #1957
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,970
Just sniffing around and I found these for sale - US$1250 (brand spanking new)



But acc to this they need to be serviced every 20 hours.... that's every other to third day if the weather is nice..... how is it with the Yammi's you're running ?

__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #1958
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento CA
Oddometer: 1,550
The Ohlins are nice. I looked into a pair of used 46mm ones that are a bolt on for older yz bikes. I was told they are a pain to get parts for and not any better than the Dual cartridge KYB's that come on the 2006 and up yz bikes.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #1959
mrprez
KJ4WMZ
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, Al
Oddometer: 1,265
Well, back to the Yamaha bearings. I couldn't find a machine shop around here who was willing to do a 5 minute job of turning the stem. Oh well, new Yamaha bearings on the way.

On a lighter note, I turned my attention to the 21" Yamaha wheel and noticed that it came with an EBC 280mm rotor and custom caliper hanger. Sweet!

Talked to Richard at HOH today and he is doing my forks today and expects to ship them today. Let the wrenching begin.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #1960
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!
 
mpanther's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Las Wages
Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
But ... they need to be serviced every 20 hours.... that's every other to third day if the weather is nice..... how is it with the Yammi's you're running ?
I just can not imagine having a service interval that short on one of my bikes.
And for only $1200 too.

I imagine NMBMN has done the service on his forks about 0 times sense he put them on. Once per every 10K miles or more seams like a good service interval to me.

Even if I needed to get them Replaced every 10k miles, I could go over 50k miles before it got to be more than $1200. even sending them to Hoh every time.
__________________
Peace in your heart & Light on your soul.
>^..^<

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #1961
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!
 
notmybikemodelname's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: I'm in jail Dad, and I like it here.............
Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther
I imagine NMBMN has done the service on his forks about 0 times sense he put them on. Once per every 10K miles or more seams like a good service interval to me.
I'm still trying to figure out what service means besides a blow job
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #1962
herrhelmet
A Serious Man
 
herrhelmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: USA West
Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
I'm still trying to figure out what service means besides a blow job
Rob, our bikes are maintenance free. You know that. Duh.
__________________
"Your bike is too heavy" www.motolithium.com TWITTER
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #1963
SonHomme
Team F5,⌘R FYCYFF
 
SonHomme's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Lower mainlands, BC, Canadia
Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
I'm still trying to figure out what service means besides a blow job
No, that's it...I think
SonHomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #1964
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento CA
Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez
Well, back to the Yamaha bearings. I couldn't find a machine shop around here who was willing to do a 5 minute job of turning the stem. Oh well, new Yamaha bearings on the way.

On a lighter note, I turned my attention to the 21" Yamaha wheel and noticed that it came with an EBC 280mm rotor and custom caliper hanger. Sweet!

Talked to Richard at HOH today and he is doing my forks today and expects to ship them today. Let the wrenching begin.
Nice job on the 280 rotor. I had one of those on my motard before I went with the 320mm. It has plenty of braking power for this project. Make sure get a steel brake front line.

Also for everyone here, use stock Honda crf450 brake pads with the Yamaha caliper. The Honda brake pads are much better than any aftermarket ones out there. Everyone on the yz and wr thumper talk forums that knows anything runs them. For some reason they work much better. They are the same shape as the Yamaha ones and will fit in the Yamaha caliper. I run them on my wr450 and they are great.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #1965
SonHomme
Team F5,⌘R FYCYFF
 
SonHomme's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Lower mainlands, BC, Canadia
Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400
Nice job on the 280 rotor. I had one of those on my motard before I went with the 320mm. It has plenty of braking power for this project. Make sure get a steel brake front line.

Also for everyone here, use stock Honda crf450 brake pads with the Yamaha caliper. The Honda brake pads are much better than any aftermarket ones out there. Everyone on the yz and wr thumper talk forums that knows anything runs them. For some reason they work much better. They are the same shape as the Yamaha ones and will fit in the Yamaha caliper. I run them on my wr450 and they are great.
Pics of set up please
SonHomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014