Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #196
TrainedChimp
Consistently wrong

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by farkleface
I have an ohlins on the rear and it completes the package. I got mine from Kyle racing and they know their stuff they sell a ton of them, plus it showed up quickly. you will love your new bike!
I have the BM750, which I got from Kyle Racing too. I like it a lot. My old shock had gone into pogo stick mode.

I sold my old shock to someone else who had it rebuilt by Sasquatch.
TrainedChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #197
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer: 979
handle bar question?

Maybe the info is buried somewhere in the thread?
Is anyone changing out the entire handlebar system? Meaning changing all the BMW levers and perches such with Yamaha type levers. I would love to upgrade all that stuff as well.

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #198
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
I just bought the MB048, but without the external reservoir.

I'd be willing to consider lifting the lower triple off of you, think mine is bent .... I'm guessing you'd prefer to sell it complete though.
While it would be easiest to sell it complete, I would be open to other options, so if it works out that someone wants just the legs or something, I'll try to remember this.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #199
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2020
Maybe the info is buried somewhere in the thread?
Is anyone changing out the entire handlebar system? Meaning changing all the BMW levers and perches such with Yamaha type levers. I would love to upgrade all that stuff as well.
A lot of people change the handlebars on these bikes already, if they offroad with 'em. I don't think that there's much difference really, whether you do this mod or not. It SOUNDS to me like the stock bars are the same diameter, so it's down to personal choice.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #200
komatias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Guys for your info have a look at one of the first mods I did to my Dakar with regards to handlebars:

http://www.dakar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Since 2004 when I bought the bike I have had stock, Renthal 7/8ths Pro taper and X-line Magura handlebars. The 28mm bars are definitely more resilient and dont bend as easy as the 7/8ths bars.
komatias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #201
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
A lot of people change the handlebars on these bikes already, if they offroad with 'em. I don't think that there's much difference really, whether you do this mod or not. It SOUNDS to me like the stock bars are the same diameter, so it's down to personal choice.
After bending three sets of stock bars, and not from crashing, I went to Protaper fat bars. 1000% better than stock.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #202
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Renthals here. Mrs crash tested them quite well. Simple re-wire the heated grips in the other direction and dump the bar ends. You don't need them.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:17 AM   #203
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,970
Quote:
While it would be easiest to sell it complete, I would be open to other options, so if it works out that someone wants just the legs or something, I'll try to remember this.
Send me a heads up if you get desperate enough to divvy up the parts, ok ?

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:25 AM   #204
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Regular MX bars

I've been browsing around the webshops over here and found a nice pair of MX bars for my budget. My question (lazy one) is if MX bikes "normally" use the same diameter bars as the F650 ?

7/8 RENTHAL 717 CR85 red

Eventhough it says CR85 (which I suppose is an 85CC Honda mx bike ?) it also says that they fit all standard clamps (not oversized).

Quote:
• 7/8 / 22mm utvendig diameter, passer alle std. styrefester ( ikke oversized).• 7010 T6 Aluminium. Renthal har eksklusive rettigheter til denne spesialutviklede legeringern. • Høy støt-styrke, lett og vibrasjonsdempende.• kule-blåst overflate for å unngå sprekkdannelse.• Serratert venstre side for bedre feste av holk.• Avansert anodiseringsprosess for fin farge, holdbarhet og korrosjonsbeskyttelse. • Renthal’s utviklede tverrpinne for økt styrke og ivaretatt fleksibilitet. • Laser etset posisjoneringsmønster. Styrepute medfølger ikke. Mål: (Se målskisse under) A=740, B=96, C=85, D=165, E=68

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-02-2009, 03:51 AM   #205
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
i prefer having bar ends on but renthal are the way to go. heard some very good stories about pro taper bars and they are heck lot cheaper over here, so might see if i can get the heated grips off without damaging them and put them one new set of bars

also whats story with ohlins and wilbers shocks,

is there much difference between them or is it a case of ohlin is best, wilbers is next best thing up from stock but cheaper then ohlins
john_aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:11 AM   #206
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero
also whats story with ohlins and wilbers shocks,

is there much difference between them or is it a case of ohlin is best, wilbers is next best thing up from stock but cheaper then ohlins
To be perfectly honest, I don't really know. Both are supposed to be good, and there are people who have had problems with 'em both. I suspect that the Ohlins brand is better known, and they're gold colored so they must be worth more, right?

I think they're probably all damned good, all way better than stock, and as long as you get something sprung and tuned for your weight, it's going to be a fine choice.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:13 AM   #207
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Quote:

It seems to me that so long as 'D' is sufficiently long, and the bar diameter is the same, you're going to have a fit. This isn't rocket science, it's just a bent piece of metal to bolt on and hang on to.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:10 AM   #208
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
To be perfectly honest, I don't really know. Both are supposed to be good, and there are people who have had problems with 'em both. I suspect that the Ohlins brand is better known, and they're gold colored so they must be worth more, right?

I think they're probably all damned good, all way better than stock, and as long as you get something sprung and tuned for your weight, it's going to be a fine choice.
time to keep eye on ebay so. ohlins may be easier get spare parts for too over here. but no real specalist here to set them up for me anyway.

either way i can only afford 1 bike. so it has to be a do it all machine. time get dakar set up for some serious off road once wedding is over

wilbers/ohlins shock, yz forks, and few other tweaks shoul do the job
john_aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:17 AM   #209
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
It seems to me that so long as 'D' is sufficiently long, and the bar diameter is the same, you're going to have a fit. This isn't rocket science, it's just a bent piece of metal to bolt on and hang on to.
Yeah, thanks

I said it was a lazy question..... figured someone had the stock measurements at hand so I wouldn't have to measure my own

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-02-2009, 05:26 AM   #210
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Quote:
Yeah, thanks

I said it was a lazy question..... figured someone had the stock measurements at hand so I wouldn't have to measure my own
LOL - not me, I'm sitting about 200 clicks away from my bike right now, waiting for my family to wake up so we can head home... In a cage.