Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #241
drivenbydiscovery
`...><((((>`..

Oddometer: 346
not a problem. out of curiosity, what's the work around? are you still using the BMW wheel and caliper?

Australia in a Land Rover / Central America on a Moto

..`...><((((>`..
drivenbydiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #242
johnnycombat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Yam forks

I got to see a full setup today and ride it on the same bike as mine, 07 Dakar!! Yamaha fork/wheel/caliper and rotor.....
couldnt believe the difference in the handling....and he was running stock oil and .52 springs if i remember correctly...
so im goin for the straight bolt up route and go from there.....but seriously guys this does transform the bike COMPLETELY!!!!....and i mean that in a GOOD way....
johnnycombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #243
AllOrds
-------------

Oddometer: 1,345
Hey, I`d be interested in getting an Axle, and brake caliper hanger etc.
How much $

Also, is there a preferred year model for the Forks
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:09 AM   #244
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycombat
I got to see a full setup today and ride it on the same bike as mine, 07 Dakar!! Yamaha fork/wheel/caliper and rotor.....
couldnt believe the difference in the handling....and he was running stock oil and .52 springs if i remember correctly...
so im goin for the straight bolt up route and go from there.....but seriously guys this does transform the bike COMPLETELY!!!!....and i mean that in a GOOD way....
no way of putting tha bs on to this setup? as i use bike lot on road so abs is handy
john_aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #245
drivenbydiscovery
`...><((((>`..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOrds
Hey, I`d be interested in getting an Axle, and brake caliper hanger etc.
How much $

Also, is there a preferred year model for the Forks
you're on the list we're going to find out the price later this week.

the consensus around here is that any YZ 125/250/400/426/450 forks & triple tree from 98 to 03 will work.

..`...><((((>`..
Old 05-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #246
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

ok since was mentioned,

what are the pros, and cons for keeps the full yamah front end and not keeping your own tyre and callipers?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:35 AM   #247
drivenbydiscovery
`...><((((>`..

i think the pros/cons list is very subjective depending on how you plan to use your bike.

for MY needs (using it as an adventure bike), here's my list of reasons i don't want a Yamaha wheel/brake setup:

Pro:

- cheaper (although not by much since i'd have to buy a Yamaha wheel, brake and axle).
- everything would work right away

Con:

- smaller brake disc & caliper than BMW
- is a Yamaha hub designed to handle hundreds of miles on a highway? maybe. but it worries me.
- lose ABS
- i already have an Excel rim

if i were to only use the bike as a dirtbike, then i'd stick with the Yamaha setup. but the reality of adventure riding (for me) is that most roads are paved, and most speeds are fast. i like the option to keep my ABS because you can turn it off (i do offroad), but it's nice to have that one time in a thousand when you might need it (especially with a loaded down adventure bike).

..`...><((((>`..
Old 05-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #248
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

i like the idea of abs too so dont want to loose out, but the advantage over the dirt be a good taught to look in to.

still the forks be a hige improvement anyway on their own
Old 05-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #249
Roughshod
weld proud

Oddometer: 101
Cool2

This is exactly what I was researching. So glad I found this thread. Thanks guys.
Roughshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #250
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivenbydiscovery
i think the pros/cons list is very subjective depending on how you plan to use your bike.

for MY needs (using it as an adventure bike), here's my list of reasons i don't want a Yamaha wheel/brake setup:

Pro:

- cheaper (although not by much since i'd have to buy a Yamaha wheel, brake and axle).
- everything would work right away

Con:

- smaller brake disc & caliper than BMW
- is a Yamaha hub designed to handle hundreds of miles on a highway? maybe. but it worries me.
- lose ABS
- i already have an Excel rim

if i were to only use the bike as a dirtbike, then i'd stick with the Yamaha setup. but the reality of adventure riding (for me) is that most roads are paved, and most speeds are fast. i like the option to keep my ABS because you can turn it off (i do offroad), but it's nice to have that one time in a thousand when you might need it (especially with a loaded down adventure bike).
Neighboring states, essentially identical decision process.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #251
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero
ok since was mentioned,

what are the pros, and cons for keeps the full yamah front end and not keeping your own tyre and callipers?
Much cheaper to go pure Yamaha.

I did my whole set up for $325, including shocks, triple clamp, Excel rim, tire, caliper, new bearings, new springs, oil, brake line, and shim.

Not to say the JDR parts aren't sweet, because they are. But, Since you will be paying at least $400 for the parts, add that to the above costs, if you can find the parts for as cheap as I did.

Everyone, keeps talking about the braking ability of the Yamaha brakes. However, it's just talk from everyone. I've already done the mod using ALL YAMAHA and I have absolutely no need, nor desire to go back to the BMW parts. Seriously. I've already put a few thousand miles on my bike since the mod in the mojave desert and local mountains. Believe me, I beat my bike like the bitch that it is. I've seen no undue wear and tear that the BMW parts wouldn't also suffer. Once again, I've already done this and have been using it. It seems that I'm the only one qualified to discuss this at this point. But talk on, and I'll just keep riding

Furthermore, JohnnyCombat came by my place yesterday and rode my bike. I think he's pretty much sold on it as well.

However, let me make it clear that I ride almost no street and therefore spend more time on my rear brake than front. But the time I've spent on the street, I've never wished I had the old BMW setup back.

As for the difference in the hub, forget about it. Yammie hubs are desigend for way more rigorous riding that any of you will ever do with your Dakar. How many of you are jumping your bike over and over again 10-20 feet vertically and over 100 feet indistance at 60-70mph. I'll bet none, including me.

Finally, yes you will lose the ABS, and good riddance! What you all are saying about the BMW system being better because the rotor is bigger, might have some merit....might. But, realize that your braking power is in the master slave cylinder, which is the stock one on the handlebars, not the one at the wheel. The one at that wheel is just a transfer cylinder, and I have to say that the stock YZ cylinder is every bit as good as the BMW.

Now to complete this, I can buy Yamaha, rotors all day long for $25-$45, and calipers for $30-$55, all in perfect shape. Also, stock Yamaha brake pads are half as much as BMW. SO, in the end and over the life of the bike, you will save hundreds of dollars on replacement parts, even if you have to replace a warped rotor every few years. But I think that's unlikely.

I can honestly tell you that I have noticed no difference in my braking ability going with all Yamaha over the BMW parts.

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 05-11-2009 at 10:15 AM
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #252
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Much cheaper to go pure Yamaha.

I did my whole set up for $325, including shocks, triple clamp, Excel rim, tire, caliper, new bearings, new springs, oil, brake line, and shim.

Not to say the JDR parts aren't sweet, because they are. But, Since you will be paying at least $400 for the parts, add that to the above costs, if you can find the parts for as cheap as I did.

Everyone, keeps talking about the braking ability of the Yamaha brakes. However, it's just talk from everyone. I've already done the mod using ALL YAMAHA and I have absolutely no need, nor desire to go back to the BMW parts. Seriously. I've already put a few thousand miles on my bike since the mod in the mojave desert and local mountains. Believe me, I beat my bike like the bitch that it is. I've seen no undue wear and tear that the BMW parts wouldn't also suffer. Once again, I've already done this and have been using it. It seems that I'm the only one qualified to discuss this at this point. But talk on, and I'll just keep riding

Furthermore, JohnnyCombat came by my place yesterday and rode my bike. I think he's pretty much sold on it as well.

However, let me make it clear that I ride almost no street and therefore spend more time on my rear brake than front. But the time I've spent on the street, I've never wished I had the old BMW setup back.

As for the difference in the hub, forget about it. Yammie hubs are desigend for way more rigorous riding that any of you will ever do with your Dakar. How many of you are jumping your bike over and over again 10-20 feet vertically and over 100 feet indistance at 60-70mph. I'll bet none, including me.

Finally, yes you will lose the ABS, and good riddance! What you all are saying about the BMW system being better because the rotor is bigger, might have some merit....might. But, realize that your braking power is in the master slave cylinder, which is the stock one on the handlebars, not the one at the wheel. The one at that wheel is just a transfer cylinder, and I have to say that the stock YZ cylinder is every bit as good as the BMW.

Now to complete this, I can buy Yamaha, rotors all day long for $25-$45, and calipers for $30-$55, all in perfect shape. Also, stock Yamaha brake pads are half as much as BMW. SO, in the end and over the life of the bike, you will save hundreds of dollars on replacement parts, even if you have to replace a warped rotor every few years. But I think that's unlikely.

I can honestly tell you that I have noticed no difference in my braking ability going with all Yamaha over the BMW parts.
thanks for that, ya the front end would be nice set up. all depends on cost and how much the parts will be. if too dear will just get the full front end as i am getting married and funds are tight
Old 05-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #253
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero
thanks for that, ya the front end would be nice set up. all depends on cost and how much the parts will be. if too dear will just get the full front end as i am getting married and funds are tight
Congrats, Wait till you throw in a couple of kids, then you'll really know what tight feels like.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #254
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Congrats, Wait till you throw in a couple of kids, then you'll really know what tight feels like.
Well, forget one kind of tight, learn about another.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #255
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
Well, forget one kind of tight, learn about another.
well my wallet will be mine, if she wants me put out with cash then night time the same better apply hahaha

off to the pub my dear hahaha

was given the choice of bikes or planes,

i picked bikes as more fun and cheaper, can use excuse when want by parts for bike.....dear its still cheaper for me blow money on bike now than it would be go flying for few hours....always works