Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #2701
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
It sounds like a good set up to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Thanks for the feedback, but given the slightly conflicting info am still a little unsure if these 2" shortened forks would work on my Dakar without further mods. Anyone else using a similar setup on a Dakar?

Stock Dakar suspension is 8 inches of travel front and rear. The typical YZ forks have close to 12 inches of travel. If the forks you have found have been shortened to just under 10 inches this should be a good balance front and rear provided you have similar spring rates front and rear.
My bike has a WP rear shock with a little more travel than stock in the rear, I plan on shortening my Yamaha front forks by an inch and half to two inches.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #2702
Aries71
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
I'd like to upgrade my suspension but am already on one foot with my 30" inseam so don't want the bike any taller. Do adding YZ forks make the bike taller? And how about Ohlins' Dakar shock?
If I remember way back at the beginning of this thread when JDRADman was figuring out his setup with House of Horsepower; his one inch lowered fork and stock Dakar rear shock put the bike at about stock Dakar height. And if I remember correctly RADman is about 5'6".

I went with that setup except with a Ohlins Dakar shock, I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam and I can flat foot on one side if I want or put both ball of my feet on each side. It's a great setup for what I do.
Aries71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #2703
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,067
Thanks for the added info, sounds like these forks will work. Waiting to hear from JDRadman if he's still selling the BMW wheel adapter pieces for abs bikes.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #2704
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Thanks for the added info, sounds like these forks will work. Waiting to hear from JDRadman if he's still selling the BMW wheel adapter pieces for abs bikes.
They will be fine but you still need to send them to HH (if you are in the US). He will make them Amazing for this bike. Stock yz forks are going to be soft as hell and blow through all the travel.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #2705
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
They will be fine but you still need to send them to HH (if you are in the US). He will make them Amazing for this bike. Stock yz forks are going to be soft as hell and blow through all the travel.
I'm in Japan unfortunately. What needs to be done to them?
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 12-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #2706
Aries71
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 29
How's your 21" Yamaha wheel holding up?

I have a question for those running a 21" Excel wheel off a Yamaha dirt bike, and have put on a lot of miles/kms; how's your wheel bearings holding up? I know it was a worry earlier on, so I'm curious if the worries were founded.
Aries71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #2707
BMacW650

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
I'm in Japan unfortunately. What needs to be done to them?
Stiffer spring and revalving
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #2708
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
Stiffer spring and revalving
Thanks. Sounds like it might cost more than it's worth for me given my location and low level of offroad riding (gravel/dirt forest roads). Maybe I'll do Racetech gold valves and springs instead.
2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 12-01-2011 at 09:40 PM
Old 12-02-2011, 05:39 AM   #2709
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
Hawk Engineering

Quote:

http://www.hawkengineering.com/BMWF650GS.htm

Talk to Jason at Hawk Engineering. He is making the Radman kits and still has them avalable for $500 including shipping withing the USA.

redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #2710
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries71 View Post
I have a question for those running a 21" Excel wheel off a Yamaha dirt bike, and have put on a lot of miles/kms; how's your wheel bearings holding up? I know it was a worry earlier on, so I'm curious if the worries were founded.
Have over 15k miles on mine and absolutely no issues. Been running the Yammie brakes as well and stops on a dime at less than 1/10 the price of keeping the stock BMW system.

I'm fairly certain that I ride mine much harder than most as well.

All the hoopla over needing to change to the BMW system is BS.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #2711
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,478
FYI

I'm selling my bike. WP fork setup with BMW brakes which are way better than the Yammie brakes. Stops on a dime every time. And at the end of each stop it smells of superiority.

It's listed in the Flea Market.

Bought an Eyetalian dirt bike so I'm gonna need all my pennies for maintenance and repairs.

As for the ABS light deal I'm working on a batch of boxes to sell.

Cheers
Brett
Old 12-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #2712
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
When I got my Yamaha wheel I changed them to be safe. I have about 8000 miles on them and they are fine. about 6000 miles of that is on the street riding between 60-80, one time for 4 hours straight. The other 2000 are off road. So far they are fine. I'm going to check them next time I have to change my front tire and they should have over 10K by then. I plan to change them before the tat next Aug just to be safe.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #2713
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Change them if you are concerned, then maybe get a grease gun, lift the seals, and inject fresh grease every two thousand miles or so. That'll help keep them running smooth.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #2714
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh View Post
FYI

I'm selling my bike. WP fork setup with BMW brakes which are way better than the Yammie brakes. Stops on a dime every time. And at the end of each stop it smells of superiority.

Brett
Well my dad can kick your dad's ass.

And actually, that smell is your money burning..................................
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #2715
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
Well my dad can kick your dad's ass.

And actually, that smell is your money burning..................................
Keeps my ass warm.