User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #301
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,430
i made the same decision

having a clear out of bike related crap at the moment, once that's all sold I'll have enough cash to do the whole thing without spending any extra cash
Old 05-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #302
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero
what are peoples attitudes towards the stock dakar shock?

i know soem are changeing the gs shock but what about the poor old sods who have the dakar, is there anywhere that re build the standard shock into a better shock or is it just as crappy as all standard shocks
Both front and rear are sort of inbetween stock. They don't take the hard hits and big holes off the asphalt because they are setup to work on asphalt, but they are too soft and start springing/ bouncing through corners on the aspahlt because they are designed to handle small potholes and mild washboard/ corrigation off the asphalt..... see the snake biting it's tail ?

My rear shock was damaged due to a mis-designed home-made center stand.... which led to the links hitting the crossmember on the stand at compression (but looked ok at normal preload) I rode about 7000 kms with heavy load and some decent adventure roads before figuring out what was wrong, by then the bushing in the top mount of the shock was far from round and the whole swing had some 3 cm free-travel at the wheel bolt. Handed the shock over to a place with a lathe and a press and asked them NOT to touch the hoses when replacing the bushing with the new nylon one they'd made.

Next day I loaded the bike fully and set off on a really grueling sand road. Hit some bumps (that turned into jumps at 100 km/h) and thought I heard some noises coming from the rear at the bumps, but not before or after. Stopped and had a look and the rear wheel now hit the inside of the mudguard/ tank and is sitting perhaps 5 cm (2 ") lower unsprung

.....don't touch the hoses......

Picked up an Öhlins now. Built to MY weight and use. Keep in mind that if you buy a shock off th shelf it is set up for a 75 kg rider - so is the stock shock !

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #303
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
Both front and rear are sort of inbetween stock. They don't take the hard hits and big holes off the asphalt because they are setup to work on asphalt, but they are too soft and start springing/ bouncing through corners on the aspahlt because they are designed to handle small potholes and mild washboard/ corrigation off the asphalt..... see the snake biting it's tail ?

My rear shock was damaged due to a mis-designed home-made center stand.... which led to the links hitting the crossmember on the stand at compression (but looked ok at normal preload) I rode about 7000 kms with heavy load and some decent adventure roads before figuring out what was wrong, by then the bushing in the top mount of the shock was far from round and the whole swing had some 3 cm free-travel at the wheel bolt. Handed the shock over to a place with a lathe and a press and asked them NOT to touch the hoses when replacing the bushing with the new nylon one they'd made.

Next day I loaded the bike fully and set off on a really grueling sand road. Hit some bumps (that turned into jumps at 100 km/h) and thought I heard some noises coming from the rear at the bumps, but not before or after. Stopped and had a look and the rear wheel now hit the inside of the mudguard/ tank and is sitting perhaps 5 cm (2 ") lower unsprung

Picked up an Öhlins now. Built to MY weight and use. Keep in mind that if you buy a shock off th shelf it is set up for a 75 kg rider - so is the stock shock !

end result, if i am going do the front yzf fork set up properly and want to use it as true dual sport then i need get wilbers or ohlins whock set for my weight and do it right first time
Old 05-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #304
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

end result, if i am going do the front yzf fork set up properly and want to use it as true dual sport then i need get wilbers or ohlins whock set for my weight and do it right first time
Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #305
drivenbydiscovery
´¯`•...¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•

Oddometer: 346
update coming ... soon.

Australia in a Land Rover / Central America on a Moto

.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•
drivenbydiscovery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #306
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

just a quick question, will a set of 2000 yzf426 forks work? Just wanna check before spending the cash

Also may want to pick your brains JDRadman, mainly just to check hole dimensions on the caliper relocation bracket, if that's ok. I'll probably drop you a pm nearer the time. I'd buy one of your kits but I just don't have the cash for it,(unless it works out at sub £100) shame as it'd make things so much easier
Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #307
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad
just a quick question, will a set of 2000 yzf426 forks work? Just wanna check before spending the cash

Also may want to pick your brains JDRadman, mainly just to check hole dimensions on the caliper relocation bracket, if that's ok. I'll probably drop you a pm nearer the time. I'd buy one of your kits but I just don't have the cash for it,(unless it works out at sub £100) shame as it'd make things so much easier
Most definitely. All you will need is a 1/4" shim below the sterring head bolt and on top of the grease seal washer.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #308
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

you find a the set on ebay?? fecker i was waiting to buy them too hahaha but not got cash in hand yet. dont forget get the top clamps
Old 05-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #309
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Yup, found em back when i first posted in this thread. Wondered if anyone else saw em.

Anyway, They are mine but paypal is acting up, can't pay the dude via paypal cos I changed bank accounts recently, was waiting for the account conformation to come through but you forced my hand I'll send him a cheque and wait for a week or so for em to arrive.

Sorry for swiping them from under your nose, honest I'll buy you a beer sometime
Old 05-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #310
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yup, found em back when i first posted in this thread. Wondered if anyone else saw em.

Anyway, They are mine but paypal is acting up, can't pay the dude via paypal cos I changed bank accounts recently, was waiting for the account conformation to come through but you forced my hand I'll send him a cheque and wait for a week or so for em to arrive.

Sorry for swiping them from under your nose, honest I'll buy you a beer sometime
hahaha no i saw the last week but was holding off till i found out if could afford the custom made parts, otherwise be waste time buying them.

one nice set forks though

was wonderign why no one here saw them either
Old 05-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #311
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

they were kind of squirrelled away in the suzuki parts

This is where having a machine shop at work pays off, tho the s/s kit would make things much much easier, makes the whole thing a known quantity and pretty much bolt on and go.

I'm going in at the prototype stage, where JDRadman was ages ago

I say splurge on the s/s kit in this next batch then look for a set of forks
Old 05-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #312
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
they were kind of squirrelled away in the suzuki parts

This is where having a machine shop at work pays off, tho the s/s kit would make things much much easier, makes the whole thing a known quantity and pretty much bolt on and go.

I'm going in at the prototype stage, where JDRadman was ages ago

I say splurge on the s/s kit in this next batch then look for a set of forks
was thinking that, get the parts and get the forks then later on as wont be doing much wor for a while yet
Old 05-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #313
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

anyone know if the yz 250 forks do.

there is a set of kyaba around with nice gold legs and billet cleamps.

are they the same as the 450 forks with different springs in side?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #314
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
I'll buy you a beer sometime
Like that would make up for it

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #315
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Like that would make up for it

want to be a fair few beers