Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #3271
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,327
Guys, seriously. I have a lead on a set of 2007 YZ450 forks, clamps, brake and front wheel.

Will this work?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #3272
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Likely.

Seriously, there are a number of threads here about fork swaps on BMW's. Check out all the Unholly Onion threads over in Airheads, (I through IV or V). A BMW is a BMW, if it's from the '70's, '80's, '90's or '00's. At least as far as the lower race is concerned. Some need a different length steerer, but usually you can accomplish the difference with a spacer between the nut and upper bearing because the BMW head stock tends to be shorter than a MX bike.

But anything is better than the stock fork, if you ask some. So get yourself some CR250 forks and bolt em on. You'll love the difference.

Unless you need to keep your ABS. Good luck, in that case.

*Hope I'm not coming off too harsh. Just trying to be helpful. It's easy to over think things.

LoJack screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 06:40 PM
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #3273
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,327
Well, you're not coming off too harsh but you're not being too helpful, either.

I have no idea if the cups/races of an Airhead are the same as single cylinder thumper. My first inclination would be to say, "not very likely."

We already had a fellow here saying that the 2007 forks wouldn't work because they are wider and would have interference issues, and another telling me to go for it and all it would take is a spacer.

I just don't how asking if 2007 YZ 450 forks will work is overthinking anything. I don't want to spend a load of money getting the forks shipped over here and then even more at a machine shop when I should have just held out for a set of 2004 YZ450 forks or any year YZ250 forks instead.

No, no ABS my bike doesn't have it.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #3274
eanth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
2007 WR 450 forks to Dakar

One thing to consider, as another inmate relayed to me privately (thanks again, P), is that the 2007 yam. was the first w/ an aluminum frame. Don't know if this complicates things or not but it's something i'm taking into consideration. That and the 48 v. 46 issue: 2 mm isn't much but if clearance is already an issue (to some degree) w/ the 46, i'm thinking i'm staying pre 2005.

I hear you though: i too am more comfy buying a (mostly) complete yzf front end, but the reality i'm finding is you'll need to piece things together.

best
eanth
eanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #3275
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post

I have no idea if the cups/races of an Airhead are the same as single cylinder thumper. My first inclination would be to say, "not very likely."

We already had a fellow here saying that the 2007 forks wouldn't work because they are wider and would have interference issues, and another telling me to go for it and all it would take is a spacer.

I just don't how asking if 2007 YZ 450 forks will work is overthinking anything. I don't want to spend a load of money getting the forks shipped over here and then even more at a machine shop when I should have just held out for a set of 2004 YZ450 forks or any year YZ250 forks instead.

Glad I'm not being a douche. I can't be more help than that. Like I said earlier, I've not done the conversion as my bike had the WP forks when I got it. Unfortunately, the info on this thread is pretty spread out. It would be great if it were compiled, ideally in the first post. But do check out the Unholy Union (sorry, intentional misspelling last time) threads. Very good documentation on there, and they go into the F650 a little.

If you are worried about clearance, most any conventional fork off a '90's up Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, will work better than the stock Dakar forks. Though I have a friend who just put different oil weight and level in and thinks it's great. He may have put different springs in, but can't remember. I'm sure that Race Tech has a Gold Valve Cartridge Emulator that could be installed, too. I hear those are pretty nice, but one reason people do this swap is because of the potential failure at the axle.

Also, if you really want to get wacky, check out the WP 50mm Extreme conventionals.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #3276
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,969
Quote:
Guys, seriously.
Did you check this site out ? - http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/...orkNotesYZ.pdf

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:56 AM   #3277
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post

Many thanks for that GS. I've looking for that info for a while.
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #3278
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:

2006 and up had wider clamps that pushed the forks out. That could be a problem since the 2004 48mm forks already require some grinding to turn. The bearings are all the same. At some point the steering stem got shorter but I'm not sure what year. It will still need a spacer under the nut though.

One of the benefits of the older forks is Richard had sorted springs and valuing for those forks on a BMW. You would be staring from scratch using the closed cartridge forks.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #3279
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
@ BobbySands
Follow the tried and tested..
Get the 46mm forks with the shorter stem clamps. No headaches, bloody knuckles or swearing at your yourself.
I used a YZ426F front complete with YZ250F clamps.. no spacer. Advice given by fellow advriders.
Took me about an hour... 2 at most.. in a public carpark.. no man castle.
ride safe...
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #3280
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
Many thanks for that GS. I've looking for that info for a while.
Don't thank me (Thank Wayne C1)

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #3281
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Don't thank me (Thank Wayne C1)
Much obliged Wayne

Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #3282
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
Glad it was of assistance, have added a pdf graph of total weight to spring rate for the GS/950/640LC and 2 MX machines
It is rather interesting to compare plunger to cartridge spring rates & it explains a lot
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #3283
WERA456
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Someone told me today that the drz400sm front end is the same as the yz250 front end. Does this mean the drz front end would work for the conversion as well?
WERA456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #3284
wiz.au
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA456 View Post
Someone told me today that the drz400sm front end is the same as the yz250 front end. Does this mean the drz front end would work for the conversion as well?
Don't know that this helps, but from the Suzuki Web site:
"...advanced suspension front and rear, including an RM250-derived inverted fork."
Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #3285
lovemoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
BMW F650GS Dakar I LIKE