Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #3586
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Looks like we are are at similar stages and direction on our builds. What rate springs did you go with? A couple of differences of course
Originally Posted by BobbySands
Here's where I am on the fork install:

2003 Yamaha YZ 450 forks have been rebuilt with new seals and custom ordered springs, shortened 1". They have been mounted with new Yamaha bearings. The front fender was mounted and spaced so it doesn't drag on the headlight shroud.
Same here. I'm thinking of going with an aftermarket supermoto fender. Not sure yet.

I think I'll use the stocker for a while. Unless something else looks really good to me. Post pics if you do something groovy.

Seal Skinz have been purchased and installed.
I used the Moose Racing ones and a set of UFO fork guards which have routing for the brake line. That and I plan to get a new line from cyclebrakes with a stiffener once I get it all together.

I bought a set of Yamaha oem fork guards. Probably would have been a lot less expensive with the UFO stuff, I suppose-- now that I think of it-- Maier probably make some too. Never thought aftermarket.

A used Yamaha wheel and front brake caliper/master have been purchased. A used Yamaha axle was purchased but I had to buy new axle spacers since they didn't come with either the wheel or the axle.
Same here.

A new EBC 270 mm front disc and caliper relocator bracket have been installed.
I went with the 320mm kit. Hope I'm not doing stoppies at red lights.

I have a problem. The caliper relocation bracket fits that Nissin caliper just fine, but the bracket does not work. I don't know if there was a mistake on my part ordering it or there is a miscommunication about what year forks I bought. I was told from the suspension shop they were 2003's. I think I'll have to order another rotor and this time I will go 320 mm. I think Galfer looks good. Can you remember the brand/price of yours?

The Yamaha front brake lever/master cylinder was binned in favour of using the stock BMW brake lever/master cylinder. The stock Yamaha brake line was used with a new fitting which comes off at a different angle. Everything seems to be working fine.
Still working on this one. Did the YZ brake line not fit the BMW master or did you just want a different fitment?

It was simply the angle of the Yamaha fitting, which comes off much differently than the BMW. We were able to find a 90 degree fitting with worked and put the brake line out at a very nice angle.

Some plastic, very little had to be trimmed and a small amount of stamped steel had to be trimmed.

The steering stops work great.

I just received my Ohlins rear shock Friday and it will be installed this week. I had no idea what a pain in the ass installing a rear shock is on this bike. The entire rear subframe has to come off as well as the fuel tank.
Did you drill and tap the steering stops or some other method? I'm using an Elka shock. Should be here this week if all goes according to plan!! I also figured since I was that deep into the bike to change the shock I'd install an EU tank. Got one off fleabay UK and had it shipped. Gives the bike an added 1.5L of gas capacity. So a few more miles range.

I read something about that tank a long, long time ago. I wish I had thought of it. The Ohlins is pisser and resprung/reworked for my weight and riding style. We simply drilled and tapped the steering stops. Worked a treat.

One thing lacking is a better brake line guide to keep the brake line from hanging up as the fork telescopes.

I have some Renthal bars and some grips and acerbis handguards coming, but I'm a bit concerned that the clutch cable is a little short. I wanted the bars because they are wider, but they might be a little too wide for the length of the clutch cable.
I went with the HDB hand guards and top clamp w/ some Pro Taper Pastrana FMX bend. Hoping all the cables and such are long enough. I used to have the Woods High Bend bars with the TT risers on my old 01 Dakar and all the cables fit. They were 30.5" wide but with the 1" risers too.

This is good news. The bars I bought aren't any taller, but they are wider. I hope the clutch cable works okay. If yours worked with 1" risers I feel better about my chances. I just received the Acerbis bark busters and grips and the bars, so I'm ready to go once the bike is done. I want the major work done before I muck with the bars and such. I also have to change the oil.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #3587
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
inquiry

Can anyone PM me or let me know if I wanted to go this route on the new Sertao if I can get a hold of a kit axel/abs/brake hangar? Hawks not making them anymore from what I see? Is there anyone fabbing a kit? thanks.. Or does anyone have one for sale laying around that never was installed?
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:57 AM   #3588
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Can anyone PM me or let me know if I wanted to go this route on the new Sertao if I can get a hold of a kit axel/abs/brake hangar? Hawks not making them anymore from what I see? Is there anyone fabbing a kit? thanks.. Or does anyone have one for sale laying around that never was installed?
If I had a new Sertao I'd consider selling it before I trashed it and buy one of these - Husky 650 Terra - MSRP $6,999...

Better suspension, a bit lighter, similar Rotax motor but with 58 HP and no PITA ABS.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:08 AM   #3589
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
If I had a new Sertao I'd consider selling it before I trashed it and buy one of these - Husky 650 Terra - MSRP $6,999...

Better suspension, a bit lighter, similar Rotax motor but with 58 HP and no PITA ABS.
+1

Checked one out at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and it's awsome. Same basic engine I believe, but top is new (cylinder, piston, valves, cam)

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #3590
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
+1

Checked one out at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and it's awsome. Same basic engine I believe, but top is new (cylinder, piston, valves, cam)
I've yet to see one in person... our local Husky dealer has had two, but both sold before I could get around for a look-see. This bike appears to be a great value. The big question for me is whether their modified engine will be as bulletproof as the tried-and-true version that's been in service so long on the F650s. Usually more HP comes at a price. I guess we won't know until someone puts some big miles on a Terra.

But hey, with a MSRP $1,600 less than the Sertao it's a bargain!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #3591
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,309
Anyone who has done the swap did you change both bearing races when you did the swap or did you reuse the BMW bearing races that were already in the BMW?

Posted mobile on Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #3592
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
I've yet to see one in person... our local Husky dealer has had two, but both sold before I could get around for a look-see. This bike appears to be a great value. The big question for me is whether their modified engine will be as bulletproof as the tried-and-true version that's been in service so long on the F650s. Usually more HP comes at a price. I guess we won't know until someone puts some big miles on a Terra.

Range? Aftermarket support?
Parts now that the CEO of KTM bought Husky? Hmm...
Husky reliability... I see their supermotos at the track & see a few blow motors now & then.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #3593
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Husky reliability... I see their supermotos at the track & see a few blow motors now & then.

Too many variables for me. Although owners are praising in the other threads.
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #3594
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Old husky vs Terra age Husky is like apples and oranges.
Old husky = Italian
Terra age Husky = BMW
New husky (still no bikes on the market) = KTM

The engine in the Terra is pretty much the same basic engine that has been in BMW F650XXXXXXXX since 1993. It's Rotax through and through. Same engine has been used in a Bimota road racer. I've also heard about people putting them in microlight aircrafts and Rotax has supplied the snowmobile industry with engines forever.

PAMI racing (Holland I believe) uses it (the pre '2000 carb's version) in their race bikes and sell tuning kits where you get anything from 60-90bhp ! The 90bhp kit is 7000,- and I suspect it needs service every 2 hours or so.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 03-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #3595
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Old husky vs Terra age Husky is like apples and oranges.
Old husky = Italian
Terra age Husky = BMW
New husky (still no bikes on the market) = KTM

The engine in the Terra is pretty much the same basic engine that has been in BMW F650XXXXXXXX since 1993. It's Rotax through and through. Same engine has been used in a Bimota road racer. I've also heard about people putting them in microlight aircrafts and Rotax has supplied the snowmobile industry with engines forever.

PAMI racing (Holland I believe) uses it (the pre '2000 carb's version) in their race bikes and sell tuning kits where you get anything from 60-90bhp ! The 90bhp kit is 7000,- and I suspect it needs service every 2 hours or so.
It is also the same engine as in the Bombadier Quad 650 DS and people bore them out to 750's and get EXTRA power of of them. Thing is they use the classic motor cs. twin spark w/ added valves. Makes me wonder if it is possible.

I have a guy who makes the 750 kits and he is willing to try to make it work. I just need a spare motor for him to work on. Anyone want to contribute to my folly>?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #3596
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Bearing Races...?

I see people used the BMW lower bearing race. Did you just use the one in the bike or did you order a new one and replace it when you did the YZ bearing and stem install??
Old 03-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #3597
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Originally Posted by BobbySands

A new EBC 270 mm front disc and caliper relocator bracket have been installed.
I went with the 320mm kit. Hope I'm not doing stoppies at red lights.[/I]

I have a problem. The caliper relocation bracket fits that Nissin caliper just fine, but the bracket does not work. I don't know if there was a mistake on my part ordering it or there is a miscommunication about what year forks I bought. I was told from the suspension shop they were 2003's. I think I'll have to order another rotor and this time I will go 320 mm. I think Galfer looks good. Can you remember the brand/price of yours?

I looked at a lot of kits and had planned to get the EBC SM6028C the shop I ordered it through ordered it from parts unlimited and they delievered the SM6017C kit.

Not sure what the difference is. I'll find out when we do the install... starting today.

[/COLOR][/B]
And... it begins
Old 03-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #3598
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,936
The status of the Terra is a little unknown and it may become a sought after orphan

One statement said BMW would not be supplying engines to Husqvarna after the KTM tie up so what happens to that model ?
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:42 AM   #3599
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
The status of the Terra is a little unknown and it may become a sought after orphan

One statement said BMW would not be supplying engines to Husqvarna after the KTM tie up so what happens to that model ?
KTM'll probably just stick a LC4 in there.

Since KTM doesn't really have any bikes in the gravel/ easy offroad touring segment I would think keeping the Terra would be in their best interest to aid their effort to squeeze out BMW.

That said, as far as I know it's actually just the KTM owner who has bought Husky (like privately) and not KTM as a company.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 03-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #3600
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:

I wouldn't buy a Sertao and mod it when the terra is on offer...They have only squeezed 5hp more then the g650x it is based on so I don't think reliability will be an issue. I've ridden it and it's a ripper. no contest.
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote