Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #3616
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Have not seen any info on doing it and would not consider it was wise as there is too much twist in the stock forks as they are. The fork braces are known to break as a result of the twist when the bike is used towards it's limits.

It is not uncommon though for taller riders to want the pegs lower and seat higher, you could achieve the lower pegs easily with the replacement mounts you are working on, Some have commented with lower wider after market pegs scraping can be a problem
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #3617
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Have not seen any info on doing it and would not consider it was wise as there is too much twist in the stock forks as they are. The fork braces are known to break as a result of the twist when the bike is used towards it's limits.

It is not uncommon though for taller riders to want the pegs lower and seat higher, you could achieve the lower pegs easily with the replacement mounts you are working on, Some have commented with lower wider after market pegs scraping can be a problem

Dennis is no Enduro rider! So the bike will not be used to its limits at all. Mainly touring.
Seat and pegs is an option
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #3618
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Knowing what I do about the stock forks, the thought scares me, replacement with YZ sounds far safer
Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #3619
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Knowing what I do about the stock forks, the thought scares me, replacement with YZ sounds far safer

Ta

You most probably have this on a scrap of paper somewhere.
8mm on the link changes the ride height 25mm???
Old 04-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #3620
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

From memory 3.00:1 ?, think it is in the notes I have online for the YZ conversion
Old 04-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #3621
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
From memory 3.00:1 ?, think it is in the notes I have online for the YZ conversion

Thanks.
3:1 = 8.3333mm - near enough
Old 04-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #3622
Barnman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by xt500nz View Post
what brand of fork seals did you guys use for 46mm yamaha forks? anyone got some that have'nt leaked !
SQF fork seal by a long way
Barnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #3623
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
I will ask this in the Dakar thread as well

Has anyone ever raised a the front end of Dakar using the OEM forks? If yes, how?

I have a 6ft plenty mate who makes a Dakar look small. He has asked for me to come up with an idea to raise the bike.
I know alternate forks are the best option. But costing is also a factor here. So trying to get as many options as possible.
Yamaha forks & flip over the shock mounting arms? Not sure of the effect that might have tho...
Old 04-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #3624
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,183
Photos:

How the bike came to me:

How it sits today:

The right angle banjo fitting which allows the use of the stock Yamaha brake line. The angle of Yamaha fitting is all wrong for the BMW master cylinder. The BMW master cylinder works excellently with the Yamaha caliper once you get the line sorted. No extra length was needed.

The bracket used to mount the ignition:

New forks with Seal Skinz in an attempt to save the stock Yamaha seals. Also not the new Ohlins custom set up rear shock from ProPilot Suspension in New Jersey.

Front brake is a Braking! 270 mm wave rotor. I was searching for a 310 mm set up but I wasn't able to find one I could lay my hands on quickly enough. I originally ordered an EBC kit and the bracket is all wrong, but by the time this was discovered the clock was ticking. I am leaving for Death Valley in 3 days.

Together with a brand new set of TKC's, I should have all the front brake I need. The front brake at this point is better than the old front brake. I think it might be the pads which, as you can see, are awfully agressive. I don't understand the Yamaha brake line routing.

I also added a Touratech skid plate with 3 litres of storage.

These are the new bars. Renthals which mimic old timey dirt bike bars. They aren't any taller but they are much wider. I'm a big guy with wide shoulders. The position is great but I might like them a bit taller for standing up. I'll consider a longer front brake line in the future and some risers. Standing up on this bike has never been wonderful, even with the Touratech footpeg relocation brackets. The first photo vs. some of these illustrate just how far rearward the pegs are moved with those brackets. Makes standing up much easier.

I lowered those springs 30mm which kept the bike quite well balanced. The tech at the BMW shop near here offered me a free set of spokes for an 18" conversion but the reason he took apart his 18" was the tire rubbing the swingarm. You can run some tires with an 18" rim, but not all. Not the ones he's liked. Be very careful.

The Touratech skid plate comes with new lower frame bars onto which the sidestand mounts. This puts the bike at quite a lean when on the sidestand, but actually very similar to the stock lean. I'm not concerned.

BWDR!

I have some double-take mirrors to mount and that is the very last thing I am doing before I leave. I only need to find out the bolt thread and diameter to mount them.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #3625
xt500nz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnman View Post
SQF fork seal by a long way
thanks for all the feedback. confidence is restored.
xt500nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #3626
xt500nz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thumb

just a tech note from a guy i spoke to ,who designed valintino rossi's m1 yamaha gp engine.wavebrakes are not a credible performance mod!, it's designed to lighten your wallet. resivour size ,and brake pads are where you spend the hard earned! cheer's.
xt500nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #3627
jbfbouchard
Denver Designer

Oddometer: 6
Adjustable swing links

Hey Everybody

Thought this might be interesting to y'all on this thread

So because I'm fully down the path of switching the front end over to 2003 yz forks I needed to find a way to raise the rear of the bike up, there are swing links that you can buy but I'm doing this on a shoestring so i started to think of alternate ways to make links, so I totally just parts binned it.

so here is the set up: all sourced from McMaster
2 x 12mm id heim bearing (male)
2 X 12mm id heim bearing (female)
4 pairs of seals
12mm od 10mm id bushing (swing arm side of the link)
2 lock nut
2 12mm id x 2mm thick washers (not shown)

total cost $108

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-f...2/IMG_3343.JPG
jbfbouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #3628
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfbouchard View Post
Hey Everybody

So because I'm fully down the path of switching the front end over to 2003 yz forks I needed to find a way to raise the rear of the bike up, there are swing links that you can buy but I'm doing this on a shoestring so i started to think of alternate ways to make links, so I totally just parts binned it.

4 pairs of seals
2 lock nut

total cost $108

excellent idea in theory!
problem - there is no guarantee that you can get both sides to the exact same length! You would have to get both male and female rod ends that have the thread starting at the same angle in relation to the bearing bore. Your tolerance will be half the pitch of the thread. Using fine pitch thread be a step in the right direction. I'm not saying it wouldn't work. I'm saying you would need to get 2 sets of parts off of the same machine using the same tooling setup.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #3629
jbfbouchard
Denver Designer

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
excellent idea in theory!
problem - there is no guarantee that you can get both sides to the exact same length! You would have to get both male and female rod ends that have the thread starting at the same angle in relation to the bearing bore. Your tolerance will be half the pitch of the thread. Using fine pitch thread be a step in the right direction. I'm not saying it wouldn't work. I'm saying you would need to get 2 sets of parts off of the same machine using the same tooling setup.

I was able to get them within .1mm of each other, and because the heim bearings are not twisting as they go up and down the ends could be slight out of phase with each other to make them exactly the same.

here is the photo of the links
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-u...9/IMG_3331.JPG
jbfbouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #3630
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfbouchard View Post
Hey Everybody

4 pairs of seals
2 lock nut

total cost $108

I like your idea. Let us know how it works out.