Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #3751
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post

Do you think it sounds louder in the headlight fairing shroud b/c the sound is pointing toward you vs. out toward other vehicles? The stock under fender has the sound going to the wheel & ground.
I think the cowling might act as a sounding board for it. It's much louder than the horns on my Victory hack and WR-R, by a factor of 2 or 3 times.

Also, instead of the "beeeeep" sound it had before, it now has a much raspier sound, like what you'd think a cicada might make if it were riding the lightning in an electric chair.
GSBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #3752
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I think the cowling might act as a sounding board for it. It's much louder than the horns on my Victory hack and WR-R, by a factor of 2 or 3 times.

Also, instead of the "beeeeep" sound it had before, it now has a much raspier sound, like what you'd think a cicada might make if it were riding the lightning in an electric chair.
Yep the one I put above the radiator is WAY louder. After adding the second one the sound has a nice dual tone ring to it. Deeper tone and louder.

I'm thinking that inside and mounted to the plastic makes the cicada sound through a rattle or vibration of the plastic.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #3753
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 602
I'm putting 2004 yzf forks on my 06 Dakar. Trying to figure out my set up I want the highway dirt bike bars, and a Scotts dampner. I have the applied racing triple clamp and was told the offset is 100x38/40. Can I fit the Scotts, and hdb on the triple I have? Help would be appreciated if anyone has run into this before...

Thanks!
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #3754
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
I'm putting 2004 yzf forks on my 06 Dakar. Trying to figure out my set up I want the highway dirt bike bars, and a Scotts dampner. I have the applied racing triple clamp and was told the offset is 100x38/40. Can I fit the Scotts, and hdb on the triple I have? Help would be appreciated if anyone has run into this before...

Thanks!
I have the applied racing triple but used the 03 forks. I believe the HDB top clamp allows for the scotts. Email them. They have always gotten back to me really quickly.

The offset sounds right. That's what I used if I recall. You will likely need to use bar risers with the HDB to get enough clearance for the cockpit and turn radius.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #3755
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Quote:
I have the applied racing triple but used the 03 forks. I believe the HDB top clamp allows for the scotts. Email them. They have always gotten back to me really quickly.

The offset sounds right. That's what I used if I recall. You will likely need to use bar risers with the HDB to get enough clearance for the cockpit and turn radius.
When I emailed and asked he said he was unsure if the scotts, applied triple, and his top clamp would all align...

Did you just order a scotts kit for your year of forks? did you have any trouble getting it all to line up etc?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #3756
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
When I emailed and asked he said he was unsure if the scotts, applied triple, and his top clamp would all align...

Did you just order a scotts kit for your year of forks? did you have any trouble getting it all to line up etc?

Thanks for the help!
I don't have a dampener on mine. Everything else lined up no problem. Not sure how the scotts fits on. Did you search online for Applied and Scotts?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #3757
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Quote:
I don't have a dampener on mine. Everything else lined up no problem. Not sure how the scotts fits on. Did you search online for Applied and Scotts?
Ok, that is good to hear, at least I am on the right track
I have sent an email to Scotts, asking what their offset is exactly for the kit for the 04 yzf... My understanding is if the offset is the same, then everything should work out fine. We will see if Scotts answers me back, and what they suggest. Thank you, and if anyone else has this same setup please let me know what worked for you.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #3758
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,798
Question

Gsbs,
have you fitted the Michelin tires yet?

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #3759
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
Farking finally managed to get some machine time!!!

For those that are interested.

The 3 stages - Block, Stage 1, Stage 2

Complete machined. Straight out of the machine, no deburring required

I'm going to do a test bearing fit this weekend. Hold thumbs.
Anodising next week.

Any interested parties, PM me for details

5 sets machined, anodised and ready to go.

2 sets spoken for
So 3 sets available( I'm prepared to give up my set for now as my bike is far from finished)

PM me for costing and further details
I can give delivery cost once I have addresses.
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #3760
Colonial Mick
Nettle Licker

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
Farking finally managed to get some machine time!!!

For those that are interested.

The 3 stages - Block, Stage 1, Stage 2

Complete machined. Straight out of the machine, no deburring required

I'm going to do a test bearing fit this weekend. Hold thumbs.
Anodising next week.

Any interested parties, PM me for details
Thats a work of art !!!
.. -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - --. .. ...- . .- ..-. .- - .-. .- - ... - .. -
Colonial Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #3761
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonial Mick View Post
Thats a work of art !!!
I'm with Colonial Mick
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #3762
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,313
Went to Rick's Rendez-Vous last weekend. Had a great time, bike performed flawlessly while I was there. We did a 50/50 gravel/twisty pavement ride each day. There were times when I'd have liked a bit more power but I think I would have only gotten myself into trouble.

The forks and the Ohlins rear shock were magnificent: the bike felt like it was on rails. I burned up my TKC a couple weeks ago getting back from Death Valley and had installed an Anakee, which worked well, but I wished for a TKC on the rear quite a few times when the gravel turned to clay or mud or a goat trail.

It rained every day and was quite muddy and slimey in spots. On the way home I was pushing 75mph for about 10 hours. After stopping for fuel a couple of local yabbos were having a chat and blocking the exit, causing my bike to idle for a minute or so, and my temp light came on. I got it into the wind and kept the RPMs down to 4000, and it went off quickly, but then weaving through the neighbourhood and stopping at the signs, my temp light came on again.

I realised that the TKC has thrown a pitload of crud up onto the radiator, packing it in a couple places, and my fan is stuffed-- can't even spin it by hand.

So a new fan is in order and a good scrubbing of the radiator (and the bike, too.) And I'll drop the oil. It only has 1900 miles on it in 4 days, but it's regular dino oil and clearly has been heat stressed. I'll also change the coolant out since it was last done (or not) by the PO.

Those fans are expensive!

Packed and ready to roll. I discovered on the ride to work the morning before that I had no headlamp (aside from the small marker bulb) and my brake light was stuck. Then I had no tail light at all, then it was full bright...? I new headlamp went in and the rear brake light switch adjusted and a new tail lamp installed. Two things in play back there.

Bike covered in slop front to back. Those of us with TKC's really covered our own headlamps with hogshyte. Made me think about a new front fender. I have a low Dakar fender just sitting in the garage.

It was gloomy but the rain packed the gravel down. It also made red clay ice in some places. Spirits were high, though.

There was another F650GS out there with a YZ450 fork on it. And a couple other F650's that were stock. It was good times!
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.

Schlug screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 08:57 AM
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #3763
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Bike covered in slop front to back. Those of us with TKC's really covered our own headlamps with hogshyte. Made me think about a new front fender. I have a low Dakar fender just sitting in the garage.
Changing out the beak for a "real" dirt bike style fender will solve the issue of mud getting thrown up onto your headlamp/windshield/face. The low Dakar fender runs the risk of getting clogged with mud when you get into the slop.

Interestingly, I've noticed less mud in the radiator as well, after switching out my front fender. I'm running a Polisport UFX free-flow fender, with vents on the backside. But it seems to catch more of the crud than the long extension on the stock fender did.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #3764
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
For those wanting a stabilizer its really easy. You need a BRP or scotts sub mount for a BRP or scotts tipple clmap that would go on an 05wr450 or older. BRP will know which one it is. You need a BRP or scotts top clamp. Then you need a 2011 yz250F sub mounts stem mount. YOu need to weld on a cross bar between the frame. The 250F mount goes on the stem and uses a different nut. Here are some pics. It worked great.

Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #3765
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,313
That's a good post right there. Thanks for the information and the photos.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote