Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #3811
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 661
Ok, great info... I will have to check prices between the two options. This poor college girl is doing her best to make this bike badass on a budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
The brake caliper on the YZ is every bit as good or better than the BMW brake caliper. No reason to keep the BMW vs. YZ caliper.

If you want better braking then get an oversized supermoto rotor. That is what I did. I went with an EBC Supermoto Rotor and brake caliper relocation bracket. Cost about $185.

I ordered the SM6028C and received the SM6017C which fit my bike. Others have had issues getting the right EBC kit to fit so make sure it matches your tire, forks and bike year.

BMW rotor is 300mm
EBC SM is Supermoto rotor is 320mm = better braking power for heavier bike than YZ and even BMW (stock BMW braking is just ok anyway so I went bigger)
EBC OS is over size rotor is 280mm = bigger than YZ which is 250mm and smaller than the BMW at 300 but the caliper from the YZ is probably better. It is the middle ground and some folks using the YZ 250mm say it is adequate so this is probably good too.
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #3812
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
My photos link works for me... ? What is it doing for yall?
Spits you out at a login front page...
https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?hl=en_US&continue=https%........

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #3813
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,342
Quote:
Ok, great info... I will have to check prices between the two options. This poor college girl is doing her best to make this bike badass on a budget

I found my Yammie front wheel (250/450 same/same) for about 100 dollars with no axle, no rotor. It was true and had good wheel bearings and a shitey mess of a tire. Ebay.

I found the front brake, line, master cylinder all in for 65 dollars. Ebay

I found the axle used but it came without spacers . Ebay I had to order them from Yamaha.

maybe you've said and I missed it but year forks are you working with?

I also did an oversized front brake rotor/caliper relocation. Took me two bites at the apple but get the one Gangplank used. Mine is 270mm and works fine, but the one he found is bigger and that can't hurt. I think the stocker is 310 or 320. Calipers are the same, in fact, that Yammie caliper is used on many, many bikes. I used SBS pads and they work a treat.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #3814
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
My photos link works for me... ? What is it doing for yall?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Spits you out at a login front page...
https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?hl=en_US&continue=https%........
Marisa, your pics link goes straight to the picasaweb home page, when I click on it, it takes me to my gallery. If you want to share a link to your public gallery, I think you need to click on "Public Gallery" and then you can past that link. This should be mine: https://picasaweb.google.com/109410231691258197920

Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #3815
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Quote:
Plus, if I get rid of the ABS and move my battery to the ABS tray, maybe it will help with the top heaviness of the bike?
Our bikes are top heavy because the kind people at BMW decided to place 12lbs worth of battery and (I'm guessing) about the same amount of oil + reservoir up high where the gas tank used to be.

The second mod to my bike was to replace the stock boat anchor with a Shorai lithium iron battery: weight less that 2lbs (a good 10lbs off the top). I think it's this one: at batterystuff.

The first mod was to replace the heavy exhaust with something more sensible. I have the stock muffler off a Ducati 848 that is about half the weight/size as the BMW one, however it's homologated and remains quiet enough not to be too annoying.

Here's a link to Wayne's page on weight reduction for our bikes. If I get around to dropping the ABS on my bike, I'm toying with the idea of moving the oil reservoir in its place and running a line to an oil radiator...
Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #3816
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

I have looked into the shorai but heard they are easy to drown? I plan on also replacing the exhaust as well and putting an extra tool tube on the opposite side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
Our bikes are top heavy because the kind people at BMW decided to place 12lbs worth of battery and (I'm guessing) about the same amount of oil + reservoir up high where the gas tank used to be.

The second mod to my bike was to replace the stock boat anchor with a Shorai lithium iron battery: weight less that 2lbs (a good 10lbs off the top). I think it's this one: at batterystuff.

The first mod was to replace the heavy exhaust with something more sensible. I have the stock muffler off a Ducati 848 that is about half the weight/size as the BMW one, however it's homologated and remains quiet enough not to be too annoying.

Here's a link to Wayne's page on weight reduction for our bikes. If I get around to dropping the ABS on my bike, I'm toying with the idea of moving the oil reservoir in its place and running a line to an oil radiator...

i will have to spend some time on eBay soon and check prices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I found my Yammie front wheel (250/450 same/same) for about 100 dollars with no axle, no rotor. It was true and had good wheel bearings and a shitey mess of a tire. Ebay.

I found the front brake, line, master cylinder all in for 65 dollars. Ebay

I found the axle used but it came without spacers . Ebay I had to order them from Yamaha.

maybe you've said and I missed it but year forks are you working with?

I also did an oversized front brake rotor/caliper relocation. Took me two bites at the apple but get the one Gangplank used. Mine is 270mm and works fine, but the one he found is bigger and that can't hurt. I think the stocker is 310 or 320. Calipers are the same, in fact, that Yammie caliper is used on many, many bikes. I used SBS pads and they work a treat.

ill try to fix it tomorrow sometime! :-)

Quote:
Marisa, your pics link goes straight to the picasaweb home page, when I click on it, it takes me to my gallery. If you want to share a link to your public gallery, I think you need to click on "Public Gallery" and then you can past that link. This should be mine: https://picasaweb.google.com/109410231691258197920

Old 06-03-2013, 03:55 AM   #3817
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,342
which year forks are you using?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:22 AM   #3818
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Quote:
I have looked into the shorai but heard they are easy to drown? I plan on also replacing the exhaust as well and putting an extra tool tube on the opposite side.
Never heard of that, my Shorai sat between the valve cover and the Nautilus horn. See pic:

And got wet plenty of times

Only way I managed to kill it was by repeatedly cranking the bike (side stand switch out of place) and not recharging the battery enough...
Old 06-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #3819
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysands View Post
which year forks are you using?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #3820
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Can you tell a huge difference in weight or is it just eh...?

Quote:
Never heard of that, my Shorai sat between the valve cover and the Nautilus horn. See pic:

And got wet plenty of times

Only way I managed to kill it was by repeatedly cranking the bike (side stand switch out of place) and not recharging the battery enough...

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #3821
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
Yes, you take that weight out of the top of the machine and you feel it is lighter to throw around and even wheel around
Old 06-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #3822
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Yes, you take that weight out of the top of the machine and you feel it is lighter to throw around and even wheel around
Any problems with putting a lightweight LI battery in the spot where the ABS pump is located now? I'm removing my ABS and thinking about relocating the battery to that spot & using an antigravity lightweight battery.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #3823
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
No, there is a KTM plastic battery holder which would hold the Shorai there look at the Battery relocation page I have online
Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #3824
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Quote:
Can you tell a huge difference in weight or is it just eh...?
Short answer: "eh...".

Long answer: Let's say the bike weighs 400lbs and with the Shorai It goes down 8 lbs to 392: that's a 2% weight savings... not huge at all!
Buuuuuuuuut:
1. it still is less weight (and up high on the bike) and that helps when you're picking up the bike on the trail.
2. it adds up, battery + exhaust + ABS + other stuff can drop (let's say) 40 lbs from the bike, now that's 10% (400 to 360).
3. I expext to spend about $70 for a decent brand name battery, so it doesn't bother me much to spend twice that for the Shorai.

Weight wise the F650 isn't a trail bike, or even a 690; but looking at the X-Challenge & X-Country makes me think there is plenty of room for improvement and I like to tweak things :)

NOTE: the values I'm using for weights are approximate, I chose them to make calculations easy.

I'm so lazy I couldn't be bothered to get off the throne, so I sent this from my iPad using Tapatalk.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #3825
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

My long term goal is just that... move battery, and lighter battery, remove abs, replace exhaust. But that will all happen after I get the forks done, scotts damper, and hwy db bars I also have 160 bucks worth of gaskets and hoses to replace that are leaking . I can not wait till im done with all the mods.

I took the bike out this weekend to do some muddy offroad riding. even with the stock forks that are blown still on it. I was surprised how well it did offroad. I think it was probably the roughest offroad riding I have done yet with that bike. Plan to do lots more after the conversion

Quote:
Short answer: "eh...".

Long answer: Let's say the bike weighs 400lbs and with the Shorai It goes down 8 lbs to 392: that's a 2% weight savings... not huge at all!
Buuuuuuuuut:
1. it still is less weight (and up high on the bike) and that helps when you're picking up the bike on the trail.
2. it adds up, battery + exhaust + ABS + other stuff can drop (let's say) 40 lbs from the bike, now that's 10% (400 to 360).
3. I expext to spend about $70 for a decent brand name battery, so it doesn't bother me much to spend twice that for the Shorai.

Weight wise the F650 isn't a trail bike, or even a 690; but looking at the X-Challenge & X-Country makes me think there is plenty of room for improvement and I like to tweak things :)

NOTE: the values I'm using for weights are approximate, I chose them to make calculations easy.

I'm so lazy I couldn't be bothered to get off the throne, so I sent this from my iPad using Tapatalk.