Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #3826
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 600
Someone try my photos link again and see what it does. Thanks!
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #3827
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
Someone try my photos link again and see what it does. Thanks!
Just a bunch of pics of this chick on a bike

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #3828
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Ha! well good it works now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post

Old 06-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #3829
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post

I know that bike....
Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #3830
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Do ya'll know if there is any difference between the 2002 and 2003 yz250f wheels/axles/calipers?

I found a wheel/caliper/axle from a 2002 on ebay for pretty cheap. They should fit with my 03 forks right?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #3831
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Do ya'll know if there is any difference between the 2002 and 2003 yz250f wheels/axles/calipers?

I found a wheel/caliper/axle from a 2002 on ebay for pretty cheap. They should fit with my 03 forks right?
Should fit. I have an 01 wheel on 03 forks.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #3832
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Should fit. I have an 01 wheel on 03 forks.

Ok. Perfect. Thanks! Ordering now. got a great deal. everything shipped to my door for 100 bucks.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #3833
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Ok. Perfect. Thanks! Ordering now. got a great deal. everything shipped to my door for 100 bucks.
A good thing to do is to check part numbers on the parts fiche. Generally if they change the parts fitment from year to year it will get a different part number.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #3834
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
A good thing to do is to check part numbers on the parts fiche. Generally if they change the parts fitment from year to year it will get a different part number.

I will double check.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #3835
neduddgi
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question

Hi guys! I am from Hungary, and never posted before o this thread.
I am just about starting the conversion, and bought a 48m kayaba from a 05' YZ250F. Guys at HouseOfHorspower said, it is not the best choice for the conversion. Is it so? Does anyone have the same fork? I have billions of questions, and I am totally confused after reading 120+ pages of this thread.
Should I buy the kit JDRadman engineered from HoH and use my stock wheel/caliper, or should I go for a Yummi wheel/caliper? Every opinion is welcome.
neduddgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #3836
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduddgi View Post
I am just about starting the conversion, and bought a 48m kayaba from a 05' YZ250F. Guys at HouseOfHorspower said, it is not the best choice for the conversion. Is it so? Does anyone have the same fork? I have billions of questions, and I am totally confused after reading 120+ pages of this thread.
Should I buy the kit JDRadman engineered from HoH and use my stock wheel/caliper, or should I go for a Yummi wheel/caliper? Every opinion is welcome.

I don't know about those forks, but if HOH said its not the best choice then you probably should go with something else. I have the 03 yz forks and so far so good. I am getting a yammi wheel caliper and axle to fit my forks and will go with a bigger rotor. that seems to be the cheapest option. However, if you have the extra money to keep the bmw wheel and get the axle and caliper bracket made for you, I would do that.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #3837
neduddgi
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question

hi Marisa! Using a bigger -320mm- rotor with the yummi caliper/wheel was my original plan, but after holding that tiny little nissin in my hand I just started hesitating. The stock Brembo looks like a train's brake beside the Nissin... In the beginning of this thread Notmybikename seemed really commited to use the yamaha caliper, on other hand, JDRadman wrote like a german engineer, saying silently it is too small. My main issue is safety. Then comes the money. You say both solution is fine?
neduddgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #3838
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduddgi View Post
Hey Ned

Many things will influence your choice - Budget, time, availabilty of parts, how much technical skils you have, your willingness to use your technical skills(whatever the level), availablity of resources and your willingness to learn about the bike.

Wayne is the best one to say why those forks are not ideal. My guess is the weight difference between a YZ250 and a 650 Dakar. They will need the internals redone to work properly. You can make anything work. How far are you prepared to go to get the job done. Read my first sentence again

The wheel choice - What would you rather have to work on? An axle for the BMW wheel or the braking system for the YZ wheel? I chose the BMW wheel as I have the ability to make an axle kit. Read my first sentence again.

Good luck and have fun.
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #3839
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,302
Marisa, I think those wheels/forks/calipers are all the same, you shouldn't have a problem. I am certain my wheel and caliper were not from a 2003 and my forks are 2003's as well.

As for the YZ250/450 as near as I could discern, 250/450 forks are the same aside from the springs, but as you get to the newer forks they get bigger around. You'll already have to remove a small piece of metal trim to make room for the bigger forks with 2003's. You know you'll have to order new springs anyway, so I'm not sure what the real issue is aside from clearance.

The ONLY reason to go with HoH's kit to use BMW wheel/caliper/rotor is if you want to keep the ABS. It's the best way to keep the BMW ABS intact. There are other ways. But the Yammie front wheel/axle/caliper is more than strong enough to run on the Dakar F650. The rotor is not. Unless you have a machine shop and can make your own axle and spacers.

I can't imagine using that small yammie rotor on the road, loaded. I just spent 5000 + miles on my Dakar from Ontario to Death Valley, all loaded for camping. In those mountain passes I appreciated the larger rotor kit I bought from EBC. Others here have the same experience.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #3840
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Marisa, I think those wheels/forks/calipers are all the same, you shouldn't have a problem. I am certain my wheel and caliper were not from a 2003 and my forks are 2003's as well.

As for the YZ250/450 as near as I could discern, 250/450 forks are the same aside from the springs, but as you get to the newer forks they get bigger around. You'll already have to remove a small piece of metal trim to make room for the bigger forks with 2003's. You know you'll have to order new springs anyway, so I'm not sure what the real issue is aside from clearance.

The ONLY reason to go with HoH's kit to use BMW wheel/caliper/rotor is if you want to keep the ABS. It's the best way to keep the BMW ABS intact. There are other ways. But the Yammie front wheel/axle/caliper is more than strong enough to run on the Dakar F650. The rotor is not. Unless you have a machine shop and can make your own axle and spacers.

I can't imagine using that small yammie rotor on the road, loaded. I just spent 5000 + miles on my Dakar from Ontario to Death Valley, all loaded for camping. In those mountain passes I appreciated the larger rotor kit I bought from EBC. Others here have the same experience.
That sounds like a great trip! i have a 5,000 mile trip planned for August to the western us, and cant wait! I should be squared away by then on the bike.

I have ordered custom springs, and as soon as they come in, ill get started rebuilding!

Shopping now for rotor, new brake lines, speed bleeders, new handlebars, risers, HWY DB Bars, and eventually a scotts damper.