Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #4411
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz.au View Post
The point about 10yr old Yamaha forks is $$$ supposed to be CHEAP!
Lol..!! 10 year old forks on a Sertao? It's replacing 20+ year old design w/ modern technology. ;-)
Old 12-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #4412
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Lol..!! 10 year old forks on a Sertao? It's replacing 20+ year old design w/ modern technology. ;-)

hilarious and 'deadly' serious in 1 sentence!
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #4413
dansin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycam View Post
Sorry to butt into a fork thread about a shock, but my shock is at Race Tech right now for a spring/rebuild/valving and when I requested it they told me they cannot change the factory reservoir for one of theirs with compression adjustment. Do you mind my asking who's doing your work and what reservoir they're using?
As Toby already mentioned, its being done by Kevin Bancroft, K B Racing. Why can't they change the reservoir? Its a standard (10mm I think) thread. Even it it wasn't, somewhere like Pirtek would be able to make a suitable hose if they supplied a new reservoir.

As for my reservoir, that was a bit of cheapskate genius. After much scanning the net for pictures of something that may work I noticed older cbr600's had a really similar looking remote reservoir to the Dakar, but with compression adjustment. One 15 ebay purchase later confirmed what I thought. The cbr uses a Showa shock. On taking both reservoirs apart we're only actually using the top from the cbr reservoir.

It would have been nice to have high and low speed, but just having compression adjustment will be an improvement.
dansin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #4414
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
That was good sleuthing Dansin, well worth noting, did you document exactly which model CBR600's ?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #4415
creola
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
I got a note and some photos from WayneC1 a few days ago. Here are the results for spacers:

One is 7mm thick and the other is 12mm.

The diameters are 30mm and 60mm.

I will make these spacers to whatever thickness or diameter you desire very reasonably.

PS: I also have have four ignition switch mounts ready.

PM me if you are interested

creola screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 07:26 AM
creola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #4416
dansin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
That was good sleuthing Dansin, well worth noting, did you document exactly which model CBR600's ?
I've taken some photos and will take more when I've got it back and write up the procedure. It'll be useful to document for Dakar and Sertao owners.

The shock was from a CBR600 FX but looking on eBay the FL and a load of the other versions are the same.
dansin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #4417
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 472
EBC 280mm front rotor

Got a chance to test it, performed pretty well. Note the amount of nose-dive as I grab a handful of front brake. This is with a T63 front tire.

Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #4418
indigoid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
Got a chance to test it, performed pretty well. Note the amount of nose-dive as I grab a handful of front brake. This is with a T63 front tire.
Look, I know BMW quality control is a bit lacking at times, but surely they fitted turn signals to your bike?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #4419
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
initial fitment observations

Finally got my 2004 YZ 450 lower triples today, so I am test fitting everything to see how it looks.

Triple spacer
Seems I will have to machine up a 10mm spacer to make everything fit - no big deal as it gives me 10mm of additional rise for the bars - bonus! This allows the forks to go up 10mm more than they would if I used 250 triples so double bonus!! From what I can tell they will be within 10mm of what the Sertao axle to the bottom of the steering head will be. Run a 140/80-17 tire at the rear and be bang on spec!

Brake adapter
I purchased a 320mm EBC brake kit and was just putting the Brembo caliper over the 320mm disc to see the fit - no adapter in place. I think it would be VERY simple to make a brake adapter to put the Brembo caliper on the KYB fork. Essentially it would be two pieces of metal. One between the two fork "fingers" that fold the Nisan caliper to the fork and then another more square piece that would go on to the Brembo caliper and the overlap the first piece. Align and weld the two together - no spacers needed... has anyone else done this? Am I missing something obvious? It would make the next bike I upgrade cheaper if I don't have to get a YZ caliper and just get a replacement 320mm disc for the YZ wheel and slightly better braking than what the BMW gave me to begin with...

Steering stop
I see lots of references to people drilling and tapping the lower triple so you can thread an M6 bolt in there to allow for adjustment in the steering stop - else the forks will hit the frame. To me, it seems there isn't much meat there to tap into. Right above the OE steering stop there is a bolt that holds the light fairing in place. I am thinking of using two pieces of metal held in place by this bolt to act as an extension of the existing steering stop. Has anyone used this method?

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #4420
wiz.au
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Insurance / Engineers Cert?

I haven't seen much mention of this at all, and with other people around me doing DR650+RM forks and DRZ400+Husky fork upgrades, I brought up the issue of "Roadworthy" inspections (MOT) and insurance.

Being in Australia, I am thinking I need to get an Engineers Certificate and have the modifications listed on my Registration papers? Then have the modifications listed on my comprehensive insurance policy (My property and others covered, liability $20Mil.) Others I have spoke to do not have any insurance on their bikes as they are off-road use mostly and are not so concerned with having a prang(crash) in traffic. We all have 3rd party insurance here with our rego, so other people are covered for injury, but I'm wondering if that is still applicable if you bike is deemed "not roadworthy" because the forks have been changed. It would be the same as riding around on an unregistered bike with no 3rd party insurance.

Has anyone else done anything about making sure your insurance still covers what it is supposed to cover after changing the forks? Is there a blanket "suspension upgrade" clause that covers this on bikes easily?

Appreciate any info people have. Especially if you've had to make a claim after doing the Yamaha or "Factory" WP fork upgrade.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #4421
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
I haven't seen much mention of this at all, and with other people around me doing DR650+RM forks and DRZ400+Husky fork upgrades, I brought up the issue of "Roadworthy" inspections (MOT) and insurance.

Being in Australia, I am thinking I need to get an Engineers Certificate and have the modifications listed on my Registration papers? Then have the modifications listed on my comprehensive insurance policy (My property and others covered, liability $20Mil.) Others I have spoke to do not have any insurance on their bikes as they are off-road use mostly and are not so concerned with having a prang(crash) in traffic. We all have 3rd party insurance here with our rego, so other people are covered for injury, but I'm wondering if that is still applicable if you bike is deemed "not roadworthy" because the forks have been changed. It would be the same as riding around on an unregistered bike with no 3rd party insurance.

Has anyone else done anything about making sure your insurance still covers what it is supposed to cover after changing the forks? Is there a blanket "suspension upgrade" clause that covers this on bikes easily?

Appreciate any info people have. Especially if you've had to make a claim after doing the Yamaha or "Factory" WP fork upgrade.
Hi wiz.au

Yes that is the case in NSW & I think ACT is under NSW rules for this stuff .

Engineers are expensive for signing off on shit... ( I use them for work stuff ) but if you've got comprehensive insurance then you probably don't have a choice. I've only got third party property but would still be nervous as to where I stood if at fault in a prang. Some companies will look for any out , guess it depends on your insurer. Your unlikely to have road worthy inspection issues so the insurance angle is the worry

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registrati.../vsi/vsi28.pdf
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #4422
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:

WayneC1 and I spoke about this yesterday. He has just gone through the exercise.

Sadly it was a bad connection and I missed a lot of the details. You have to request a Blue slip
at DOT NSW.
I it will come down to who you get on the day, and what frame of mind they are in.
I'm sure Wayne will answer with the finer details.
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #4423
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
WayneC1 and I spoke about this yesterday. He has just gone through the exercise.

Sadly it was a bad connection and I missed a lot of the details. You have to request a Blue slip
at DOT NSW.
I it will come down to who you get on the day, and what frame of mind they are in.
I'm sure Wayne will answer with the finer details.
I'll be interested as to wayne's info... my take is suspension and steering is an engineering sign off not a self certified one, but I'm only doing heavy vehicle inspections...it may be different for lights
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:11 AM   #4424
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, the circumstances of YZ or other fork swaps and accident liabilities has always concerned me. Basically you need a blue slip, supposedly checking engineering as per first time rego

I spoke to an NSW blue slip mechanic on tuesday (in a country town) basically he indicated he would not know what to look for any particular model and unless someone told him the forks were different to stock he would not notice

I showed him what to look for on early model forks and the axle mounts and explained all that and both he and the owner of the automotive business felt any MX front end would be fine and better than stock, they would sign off no problems and not insist on an engineers report

I have had contact with DOTARS in Canberra in the past and if you all wanted me to I would give them a buzz and ask the questions, one of their people is only too well aware of the GS forks and interested in buying one for himself

Re insurance, Aquatic mentioned recently one insurance Co who had a no modification clause in their policy and that would need to be addressed separately
Old 01-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #4425
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

On another front, I saw a set of 43mm KYB's off a Honda this week, 945mm length axle to top and with a 17mm axle

Quite surprised me as they are the right length and axle, it was 22mm dia on the RHS of the axle at the pinch bolts

Will be getting the model info emailed down to me, and the owner is a rider and engineer/toolmaker so should be able to get full details