Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 05:07 AM   #691
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero
Here is the calliper mount now ready to be fitted tot he bike along witht the forks.

just few small bits now to get and should be ready to go
Lookin' good!
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #692
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,423
looking good john, Recently did some off roading in the peak district, the front end was absolutly brilliant, soaked up some tough stuff with ease

Still got the springs it came with fitted, working quite well for me still.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #693
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
cheers lads, not as pretty as your monts and bit heavier but will do for me as cant afford a full kit.

now just got get new headstock bearings, risers, brake line and away i go

i hope the standard springs in the 48mm forks will do pretty good for a while
Old 10-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #694
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
John,
Glad to see it coming together...looks great
Rad

Quote:
cheers lads, not as pretty as your monts and bit heavier but will do for me as cant afford a full kit.

now just got get new headstock bearings, risers, brake line and away i go

i hope the standard springs in the 48mm forks will do pretty good for a while
Old 10-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #695
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
What's wrong with this picture?

Suspension setup is a bit of a black art to me, so I thought I'd CAD it up to clear my mind. But what it really did was confused me more, because I can't see that this would cause any issues, when people have had some minor clearance issues.

Only thing that I can think of that I ignored is the tyre flattoning. But this would only cause issues with bottom hitting the ground when both front and rear would completely bottom at the same time, AND the tyres flattening at the same time.

Pretty rare it seems to me.

I'm basing all this on the mentioned max. travel figures, and the length of the fork fully extended which I measured. I'd like to keep the fork flush in the clamp which when considering the increased length of preload (due to more travel) should be fine. I've got a Wilbers shock which can increase the rear a fair bit either way.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #696
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRadman
John,
Glad to see it coming together...looks great
Rad
cheers rad, it is a big lump compared to your own one but will do until i refine it down,
only prob i have is that it hangs a bit low
Old 10-05-2009, 02:37 AM   #697
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
finally,

for handle bar risers, do you need to extend the brake line? also did ye all just but yz risers or make your own?
I made the spacer washer that goes under the top triple 10mm thick . Instant 10 mm bar riser ( if thats high enough for you )
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:50 AM   #698
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute
I made the spacer washer that goes under the top triple 10mm thick . Instant 10 mm bar riser ( if thats high enough for you )
may be ok just want make sure i clear the top of the forks as well.

do you have to change the top brake line as well?

i know the bottom half from calliper is extended but is the line from the abs unit to the actual brake resevoir have to be changed?
Old 10-05-2009, 03:22 AM   #699
komatias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten

Suspension setup is a bit of a black art to me, so I thought I'd CAD it up to clear my mind. But what it really did was confused me more, because I can't see that this would cause any issues, when people have had some minor clearance issues.

Only thing that I can think of that I ignored is the tyre flattoning. But this would only cause issues with bottom hitting the ground when both front and rear would completely bottom at the same time, AND the tyres flattening at the same time.

Pretty rare it seems to me.

I'm basing all this on the mentioned max. travel figures, and the length of the fork fully extended which I measured. I'd like to keep the fork flush in the clamp which when considering the increased length of preload (due to more travel) should be fine. I've got a Wilbers shock which can increase the rear a fair bit either way.

You have not considered that the Yamaha forks hold the axle of the front wheel slightly further forward than the OEM forks. That said, I really think that the rear of the bike should be brought up by an 25mm to 35mm to get the balance right. The first thing is to get a 18" rear wheel. Then see how that handles.

The only clearnace issuses I have had so far with my bike have been caused by having to push the forks up throught the yokes by 35mm to quicken up my steering.
komatias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:38 AM   #700
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Quote:
may be ok just want make sure i clear the top of the forks as well.

do you have to change the top brake line as well?

i know the bottom half from calliper is extended but is the line from the abs unit to the actual brake resevoir have to be changed?
Not sure on that one , Mine hasn`t got ABS ,
Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #701
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

does anyone have the bearing numbers fot the bmw and yamaha head bearings?mine are so dirty i can not read the numbers,i think the ID is 2mm and 30mm for top and bottom. just want the pitch and OD for both so i can go to the bearing shop down road tomorrow and get them
Old 10-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #702
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by komatias
You have not considered that the Yamaha forks hold the axle of the front wheel slightly further forward than the OEM forks. That said, I really think that the rear of the bike should be brought up by an 25mm to 35mm to get the balance right. The first thing is to get a 18" rear wheel. Then see how that handles.

The only clearnace issuses I have had so far with my bike have been caused by having to push the forks up throught the yokes by 35mm to quicken up my steering.
The increased offset of the axle would only improve the issue but I actually found that I underestimated the rear suspension travel. It's factory at 210mm. But when you CAD that up the wheel actually goes through the fuel tank.
So something is not right there. Anyway, if you stick to the figures, I reckon I'll limit the travel to 250mm. Which is still a huge improvement the same as the 690E (non R but 275mm that the R has still fits) and more than the Tenere.

tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #703
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Quote:
does anyone have the bearing numbers fot the bmw and yamaha head bearings?mine are so dirty i can not read the numbers,i think the ID is 2mm and 30mm for top and bottom. just want the pitch and OD for both so i can go to the bearing shop down road tomorrow and get them
I don`t have the numbers . But I still don`t understand why people are mixing in the BMW bearing when both the Yamaha bearings & cups fit .
Old 10-06-2009, 03:15 AM   #704
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute
I don`t have the numbers . But I still don`t understand why people are mixing in the BMW bearing when both the Yamaha bearings & cups fit .
they are bloddy expensive, got the measurements and no bearing shop sells them as the bike bearing are non standard. the top bearing standard and the bottom bearing runs a non standard ID/OD combination so guess thats why ya ay double price for the bearing kit.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:24 AM   #705
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

anyone know if the abs cable fits on ok or is lenght a problem?