User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #781
dump-a-thump
lapsed atheist

Oddometer: 559
Hey, Rob

take a minute from bashing your dakar (and embarassing the 450 riders) and give us a report on the DL1000 shock and how its been when matched up to the front fork....

dump-a-thump screwed with this post 11-25-2009 at 10:42 AM
dump-a-thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:26 AM   #782
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Any tips pn the ABS sensor.
have my test in few weeks and not had chance make the part up and not sure how bike run if just leave the sensor pluged out for the test
Old 11-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #783
dump-a-thump
lapsed atheist

its fine for testing (and riding) to leave unplugged. The abs light stays on on the dash, and the abs doesn't work, but the bike is just fine otherwise.

Its fugly, but a blob of JB weld, or rubber cement with the sensor in it, by the fork guard, seems to work. Just note where the sensor sits on the old fork and try to get a similar angle and distance to your abs/speedo ring.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #784
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dump-a-thump
its fine for testing (and riding) to leave unplugged. The abs light stays on on the dash, and the abs doesn't work, but the bike is just fine otherwise.

Its fugly, but a blob of JB weld, or rubber cement with the sensor in it, by the fork guard, seems to work. Just note where the sensor sits on the old fork and try to get a similar angle and distance to your abs/speedo ring.
nice one, least i can just take it off and ride it, will make up a proper mount when get 5min to myself, married life not as easy as sounds

dont get jb weld over here, just the instand metal putty from touratech
Old 11-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #785
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,081
Got some forks off ebay along with a Tag triple clamp and got the kit to mount everything. Sending the tubes out to HOH next week for Richard to work his magic. I think I am going to have the tubes anodized black too.

Can't wait to get these things on...

Eric
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

My Dakar http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197573
ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #786
BMacW650

Oddometer: 724
Steering stem and fork questions

I sent my forks away to my local suspension shop to get revalved and new springs.

I don't want to shortened the forks (will match that later for the rear shocks) and I will run straight rate springs. The race tech calculator says I need .583 kg/mm rate (200lbs difference between bikes +180 lbs rider weight).

My major concern is that I ran the spring too stiff with .58. Can anyone with a similar setup (no progressive spring) comment on this?

While I was at the shop, I asked about the triple. To my suprise they only charge me $60 dollars to press the stem out of the bottom triple AND machine it down 2mm. It's so cheap , I wonder why everyone here is not doing it!!!??

I'm terrible at doing measurements, so I'm gonna ask again here this question.
If I tune down the bottom diameter of the steering stem, I can use a full BMW bearing kit (2 bears, 2 races, 2 seals) plus the yamaha stem retaining nut. (ok, that's not a question )
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #787
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,924
The answer re using BMW SH bearings is yes, this is what the people who have done KTM/WP conversions have done

ehatcher & bmacW650, could you weigh the components for a comparison of the different approaches taken with these conversions ?

I have figures for the BMW forks & WP forks but dont have the Yamaha

Would need LHS & RHS fork legs complete, axle & upper & lower yokes

Will post the results for all 3 here if you can provide the information.
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #788
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650
I sent my forks away to my local suspension shop to get revalved and new springs.

I don't want to shortened the forks (will match that later for the rear shocks) and I will run straight rate springs. The race tech calculator says I need .583 kg/mm rate (200lbs difference between bikes +180 lbs rider weight).

My major concern is that I ran the spring too stiff with .58. Can anyone with a similar setup (no progressive spring) comment on this?

While I was at the shop, I asked about the triple. To my suprise they only charge me $60 dollars to press the stem out of the bottom triple AND machine it down 2mm. It's so cheap , I wonder why everyone here is not doing it!!!??

If I tune down the bottom diameter of the steering stem, I can use a full BMW bearing kit (2 bears, 2 races, 2 seals) plus the yamaha stem retaining nut. (ok, that's not a question )

+1 on spring rates??? What spring rates are people running? for what rider weight. Will Yamaha Brake lines work on the BMW caliper and mastercylinder?? If not, what length brake line are people using on the front?

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #789
dump-a-thump
lapsed atheist

the brake line should be a 10mm on both bikes, can't be 100% sure because I'm on WPs (with brembo from ktm).

The issue will be on if its long enough. If you are going from the master on the handlebar, it should reach fine (pay attention to routing). The BMW one will be too short. If you plan on keeping the ABS unit, then the line will be too long (and the BMW one too short).

A new, high quality SS brake line should be no more than $55.

Now, as an aside, does anyone know if the ABS pump puts enough pressure into the system that a stronger line may be needed?
Old 11-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #790
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
I don't have ABS... and was hoping for someone that has done it, to tell what length to order. I want to have all my parts in hand, so i am not waiting on parts once i begin the project.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #791
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1
The answer re using BMW SH bearings is yes, this is what the people who have done KTM/WP conversions have done

ehatcher & bmacW650, could you weigh the components for a comparison of the different approaches taken with these conversions ?

I have figures for the BMW forks & WP forks but dont have the Yamaha

Would need LHS & RHS fork legs complete, axle & upper & lower yokes

Will post the results for all 3 here if you can provide the information.
The forks, TAG triple, axle and brake adapter weigh 25 pounds.

I am very curious to know what the stock BMW forks, triple and axle weigh.

Eric
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

My Dakar http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197573
ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #792
dump-a-thump
lapsed atheist

ws

let me know if you have any mods to your handlebars, and i will try my best to remember to measure tomorrow. do you prefer yamaha routing or bmw routing?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #793
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650
I

Or if you don`t turn it down the Yamaha bearings fit . The Yamaha bearings have the exact same bearing cone outer diameter as the BMW bearing cones , the Yamaha bearings fit the Yamaha stem .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:35 AM   #794
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,924
Re weight

Figures collected so far are below

BMW Forks, yokes, fork Brace & Axle - 13.4 kgs

KTM Forks, yokes, fork guards & Axle - 11.2 kgs

YZF Forks, yokes, caliper hanger & Axle - 11.4 kgs

These are rough figures so far, a couple of BMW parts to check & the YZF is as per information in the post above, The KTM forks are 4357 not 4860's
The individual part weights, in kg's would assist in more accurate figures.

The KTM & Yamaha forks will feel lighter than the raw figures above as the steel components are all down low giving a lower centre of gravity

On the brake & caliper front, I found today that EBC supply kits to fit KTM & the YZ's with 320mm Discs & the kit includes a caliper hanger for those who want the extra braking power beyond the 300mm BMW disc.
YZ kits are EBC Part No's SM6028C or SM6728C year model dependant

WayneC1 screwed with this post 11-23-2009 at 03:41 AM
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:37 AM   #795
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatcher
The forks, TAG triple, axle and brake adapter weigh 25 pounds.

I am very curious to know what the stock BMW forks, triple and axle weigh.

Eric
Once you asked, so was I.

The assembly I have sitting here consists of forks, triples (minus the handlebar clamp caps and counter-nut), axle, stock wheel spacer, little plastic shield that I couldn't attach to the new triple, fork brace and brake line clip. My forks are the earlier version without the extra metal around the axle holes.

Total weight according to a hospital scale: 28.5 pounds.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote