Old 12-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #841
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by komatias
RC,

any luck with those drawings mate?
if anyone has a setup or drawing for the abs sensor it would be much appreciated
Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #842
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel
I hope they fit... I ordered the kit, with hopes of putting 2005 yamaha front end on my GS.
was there a 2nd order put in???? crap

well i guess the most you have to do is put washers in beween the bracket and the fork leg and thats most you will have to do i guess.

i am going to do a drawing of part i made and i can post it up and see if it matches the one RAD made
Old 12-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #843
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by komatias
RC,

any luck with those drawings mate?
yup, got the drawings. been away from home since monday pm.

will have em up in a couple of hours.

did look into the lowering links for the funduro $150 for kuba links, kinda spendy so i'll be making my own.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #844
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero
was there a 2nd order put in???? crap

well i guess the most you have to do is put washers in beween the bracket and the fork leg and thats most you will have to do i guess.

i am going to do a drawing of part i made and i can post it up and see if it matches the one RAD made
Yes but he has some extra I believe...

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #845
BMW Iceland
Wet toes

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad
yup, got the drawings. been away from home since monday pm.

will have em up in a couple of hours.

did look into the lowering links for the funduro $150 for kuba links, kinda spendy so i'll be making my own.
You should be able to find them used at some bike breaker, the links I have in my workshop are taken from Aprilia Pegaso 650 97 that I "un lowered" for a customer but the same kit fits 93-99 Funduro and 94-00 Pegaso.
BMW Iceland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #846
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

, never thought of that

Thanks for the info, now to send a couple of emails
Old 12-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #847
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel
Yes but he has some extra I believe...
let me know if you hear if has more and if fits your forks i would be tempted get rid of my heavy bracket for his much nicer part
Old 12-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #848
BMacW650

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero
let me know if you hear if has more and if fits your forks i would be tempted get rid of my heavy bracket for his much nicer part
You might want to contact directly then. I think he said the parts will be ready around the 7th.
BMacW650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #849
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Finally got the dogbone drawing finished

That's for a 1 inch lift, hopefully. The 20mm hole is going to have a stainless steel insert pressed into it as the stock links are wearing on the bolts at that point. These are the inserts.

Can't find any funduro lowering links so i'm going with this. There will be some filing needed when the machining is done tho
Old 12-03-2009, 01:05 AM   #850
komatias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Thanks for sharing these... saved me alot of time.

A few comments though:

The stockers should not be wearing at the lower holes at all. When you clamp them on the lower part of the cam, you should be applying compressional force directly to the bushing through the two large cap type things. If you have wear, it is probably due to not enough torque applied to the bolt or you have shot bearings. The bolt should not move separately from the bushing.

I will also check the press fit tolerances you state. Have a feeling they are on the lower side. will report back on this.

PS:

Had a look at the tolerancing. SKF prescribe a J6 tolerance on the housing of our bearings. So that would mean the dimension would be 24mm +0.008 -0.005 which is what you got. Well done that man!

komatias screwed with this post 12-03-2009 at 02:28 AM
komatias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #851
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

thought i'd get it right, seeing as i work at an engineering firm

As for the grade, was going to use 6061 t6 or 6082 t6. But then i realised rad used 7075-T61 in the caliper hangers.

I'm thinking of using the 7075 then getting it hard anodised once it's machined. Mainly to keep corrosion at bay, But then is 7075 overkill as i'm pretty sure the stock links are not anything aproaching that grade.

what do you think

As for the links wereing, bearings are fine and torqued correctly.

rc mad screwed with this post 12-03-2009 at 11:28 AM
rc mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #852
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustRat6650
Notmybikemodel,

Wow. I spent an hour trying to read this thread (did not finish) but I still don't understand if you have to buy those brake parts or not. Most people say you do. They are $$$.

Just wondering if you do any shop work for stuff like you said your bike has.

I looked on eBay for the forks, but didn't see anything right now. How much $$$? have you spent if you don't mind me asking. Did you replace the rear shock?

I live in Corona off Green River.
Absolutely not, and although the parts look beautiful and maintain the original braking set up, it is totally unnecessary. I've been riding mine since the augmentation (early January) very, very hard. I've never had any issues on any terrain or hill, or high speed stop, water, sand nor gravel. I removed my ABS as well over a year ago and have no regrets. I have over 9000 miles on this set up and have torn it down to check all components and have witnessed no unordinary wear.

Once again, the parts are beautiful and as far as I can see, fit nice and do the job, but are totally unnecessary. Cheers to Radman for that.

I was one of the last guys in on this thread, but had my conversion done before everyone, as far as I can tell, and therefore have the most riding experience on this set up. Some of the first guys on this thread still have not completed their mods, and therefore have no basis for giving an opinion.

Sorry guys, but it's the truth.

You've seen some of the pics of some of the riding I do, and have heard others speak (write) of my riding skills and abilities. I do not treat my equipment very nicely, but whip it, beat it and kick it until it's dead. If this set up was not going to work with the stock brake system, I would've already had a failure.

If you want to spend a shit load of cash and wait for along time befoe you actually get to ride, then go the way of this thread. If you want to ride and have fun, while being completely safe and having more than enough braking power, then just buy the shit, and contact me and we'll have you up and riding in a day.

More ridey, less talky.................

I'll be out in Mojave on Sunday with the local desert FFs. I believe you're going out with Ben99R1. If so, I'll see you either at the Mojave airport or in Randsburg. You can check out my set up and ride it if you'd like.

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 12-03-2009 at 12:37 PM
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #853
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Absolutely not, and although the parts look beautiful and maintain the original braking set up, it is totally unnecessary.

therefore have the most riding experience on this set up.

If this set up was not going to work with the stock brake system, I would've already had a failure.

If you want to spend a shit load of cash and wait for along time before you actually get to ride, then go the way of this thread. If you want to ride and have fun, while being completely safe and having more than enough braking power, then just buy the shit, and contact me and we'll have you up and riding in a day.

More ridey, less talky.................
It seams to me that Most of those doing this conversion could go your route when they start the conversion, even if they want to do Rads parts/way as a final goal. it's just a extra wheel, caliper and rotor right?

So follow Not-my-name-is-to-long's advice and get all the parts, put them on, and Ride Your Bike. then get the axle and brake conversion parts as the become available to finish it later. I'm sure you could even make a "sensor ring" without to much trouble for your ABS, if you have it.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #854
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

DustRat6650 look at it this way, it's entirely up to you. What do you want to get out of the bike?

I wanted to keep the stock wheel and caliper along with the abs setup as i do a lot of road miles, most of which are in the rain as i live in the uk, where it rains all the goddamn time, it's just a little extra security. Will i fix the abs unit if it decides that life isn't worth living anymore, nope it'll get binned but while its working its staying put.

I've found the parts to do it notmybikes way on ebay for $414 delivered, thats not including bits like bearings and brake lines.

My build was around the same area at $448 but i made the axle myself, or more fittingly i got the drawing office at work to design it and a suplier to the company to make it for me for free, i just supplied the material.

Which just happened to be on the rack in the workshop

Might even be able to do that with the links for the rear suspension.

If you want a more dirt orientated machine go notmybikes route, or if your just after a front suspension upgrade while keeping the stock wheel and braking system go rads way, it's that simple.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #855
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther
It seams to me that Most of those doing this conversion could go your route when they start the conversion, even if they want to do Rads parts/way as a final goal. it's just a extra wheel, caliper and rotor right?

So follow Not-my-name-is-to-long's advice and get all the parts, put them on, and Ride Your Bike. then get the axle and brake conversion parts as the become available to finish it later. I'm sure you could even make a "sensor ring" without to much trouble for your ABS, if you have it.
Absotively!

Most shorten it to NMBMN, or Rob.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote