Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #121
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,916
From Leo Vince website FAQ section

"How do I replace the silencer packing?

LeoVince uses the industry's best ceramic composite based packing and typically does not need to be replaced very often, unless exposed to unusual wear conditions. For those rare cases, re-packing material kits are available from LeoVince. Re-packing instructions are provided at the links below:"

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #122
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Yeah, it's pretty easy. Just need a riveter. That's the hardest part is riveting in my opinion. And yeah, both the Two Bros and Leo Vince use packing. High Temp Ceramic Woven material or whatever you want to call it, it's packing. It's the same thing. They both use the same. Either of them will need re-packing at the same intervals. It's just that the Leo Vince site says "not very often" and the the Two Bros exhaust manual is specific and actually says "every 3,000 miles - sometimes earlier if used under heavy wear conditions".

Also, FYI, it's cheaper for exhaust manufacturers to use high temp ceramic/fiberglass packing rather than build in a baffle system out of steel. That's why Akrapovics are so expensive. The complexity of the built in baffle system. Pipes that require packing will start out with a better sound than a baffled exhaust, but then progressively get louder and crappier sounding as the packing breaks down and blows out of the pipe. I tend to prefer the sound of a well packed exhaust over a steel baffled exhaust.

Repacking is also no that hard. If you can change a tire on your bike, you can repack an exhaust. And like I said before, with the right packing kit (FMF Premier) that interval is extended considerably.

Working Temperature

Ceramic Fiber: 1,800 F. (1000C) for Continuous Use; 2,300 F. (1,260C) Maximum

Fiberglass: 1,000 F. (550C) for Continuous Use; 1,200 F. (650C) Maximum

The only difference between the two materials in this application is temp resistance. They'll both, however, blow out the end of the pipe at the same rate. Most pipe manufacturers use the ceramic variety nowadays anyway. That includes Two Bros and Leo Vince and FMF and Pro Circuit, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcorral
Is replacing the packing on a 2Bros or Leo easy? What's the issue of removing the packing, loudness?

The Griz screwed with this post 09-27-2009 at 07:27 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #123
alexcorral
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Can you use a Leo or 2Bros without any packing?

How about a Remus? are these packed or metal baffled?
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #124
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Can you use a Leo or 2Bros without any packing?

How about a Remus? are these packed or metal baffled?
You can, but it would be VERY loud. That is why that guy a few posts back said that dude's F650GS Single with a Two Bros was "Harley Loud". Any packed pipe is going to get loud without the packing in. I wouldn't recommend running it without it, unless you want to lose your hearing!!

Not sure about the Remus. But given its price it wouldn't surprise me if it uses a welded steel internal baffle.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #125
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
FYI on Remus. I have a freeride streetversion on the way for my 650XCH. A thumper I know but were talkin' pipe brands here right? The bike has the "regular" freeride can on it but too loud for me. In talking to the Remus rep at maxmoto (Patrick) he says this pipe does not need to be repacked. I've not found any specific information about it and didn't ask anymore about the internals of the pipe. I'd recommend calling. He was very helpful with questions.

http://www.remususa.com/epages/remus...lip_On_Systems

Phone # is on the bottom right
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #126
Gone Penguin
Penguin

Oddometer: 26
Nice pipe...

But i would like to know what brand is you windshield. And how much.
Penguin riding from NY to Argentina, and now in Nicaragua.

www.gonepenguin.com
Gone Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #127
alexcorral
Beastly Adventurer

I found a 2Bros carbon exhaust for sale @ $399 from New Enough

http://www.newenoughhp.com/parts/exh...n_exhaust.html

Seems like I will go this way, as it has been the best value for the money I have found.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:21 AM   #128
Dirt Diver
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
I've got the Remus Hexacone Ti on mine - love it.

Hexacone!
01 VFR800 Sold and missed.
Adventurers like it dirty!
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #129
alexcorral
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That looks great! I'm assuming Remus does metal baffled cans like Akrapovic ('cause of the price).

Does the Ti can stay hot to the touch during the ride? How long does it stay hot after you turn the engine off?
Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #130
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
According to various Remus sites "Remus non-carbon mufflers never need repacking & have a lifetime warranty on packing!"

So if you are ordering a non-carbon then nope. Probably what I will be looking to get eventually.

Revolution (Removable Insert) Slip-On: Revolution is an insert feature allowing the owner to convert a baffled sport silencer into a straight through race can. No repacking ever. Canister in a Bolt-on version does not require a connector pipe.

HexaCone Exhaust: The HexaCone is a convertible tone design which features a removable baffle. This allows the customer to toggle between street and race sounds. Its angular design provides high flow characteristics yet is extremely efficient in its sound suppression. No repacking ever required.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #131
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Just to clarify: Some manufacturers use a steel wool type material instead of ceramic fiber.

Manufacturers with pipes ranging between $300-400 typically use ceramic woven fiber.

Manufacturers with pipes ranging somewhere around the $500-600 mark usually use a steel wool type packing that doesn't break down and blow out. Hence why Remus and Staintune can warranty the packing for life. Imagine the picture above, but instead of part steel wool/part ceramic fiber you'd have 100% steel wool in the whole thing.

Manufacturers with pipes ranging from $700-up typically have a welded baffle system to lower the decibel output instead of a packing material. Hence the high price. A lot of acoustic designing goes into these pipes, which also raises these prices. Kind of like how Bose uses a lot of ports and tubes to tune the sound of their audio systems. The basic principle is exactly the same. The more time the sound pressure wave has to reflect around inside the pipe before it exits, the better (and quiter the pipe will be). The energy level of the sound pressure wave has lowered considerably upon exiting the pipe. Hence tubes and baffles.

It's like trying to acoustically treat your living room: the cheap way is to buy a bunch of packing blankets and hang them on the wall to absorb sound pressure waves and hinder acoustic reflections (exactly what the packing in the packed exhaust does). The right and more expensive way is to build the room to be acoustically accurate in the first place (the baffles tubes and angles in the higher priced exhaust systems).

The only manufacturer I know of that is able to do the later at a reasonable cost is Supertrapp, but of course they don't make a model for the F800GS:

If they did, I'd probably buy it. But until then, no way in hell am I spending anything above $400 on an exhaust canister for a motorcycle. I'm sticking with the packed type. Manufacturers like Akrapovic rape consumers with their prices! $900-1000 for an exhaust is downright insulting!

The Griz screwed with this post 09-28-2009 at 02:51 PM
Old 09-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #132
C5!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
and what about the original system, is it baffled?
C5! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #133
alexcorral
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
But until then, no way in hell am I spending anything above $400 on an exhaust canister for a motorcycle. I'm sticking with the packed type. Manufacturers like Akrapovic rape consumers with their prices! $900-1000 for an exhaust is downright insulting!
I feel the pain too... it's just too much, no matter if you can afford it or not. The post was very informative, THANKS!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #134
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
I feel the pain too... it's just too much, no matter if you can afford it or not. The post was very informative, THANKS!
You say that now... but my last pipe too repacking after every 5000 miles. That was a PITA!!

I will never buy a re-ass-packable muffler again.

For $500-650 the Remus looks pretty good to me. Worth the extra hundy or so without a doubt if you ask me.

But hey, I ride my bike you rider yours.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #135
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Diver

Hexacone!
How's the sound? Any power increase?