User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 05:47 AM   #1
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Yamaha TX750 owners check in!!

I've noticed some new guys popping up in threads, yet they don't have a thread of their own. I'd like to see just how many of us are out there. Old members and new.

So come on guys. Let us know you're here. And by all means post some pictures.

Here's mine testing out a work bench I just built.

CalsXS2 screwed with this post 06-19-2014 at 06:45 AM
CalsXS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:31 AM   #2
dm635
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 361
No pics, but I rode a '74 Plum Purple TX-750 throughout the 80's while I lived in Houston. Hard to believe I survived riding in all that traffic without incident. I wasn't ATGATT during those days, T-shirt and jeans. Pretty smart 'eh? I did at least always wear a helmet. Wish I had some pics of that bike, it was nice.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
icekube1
Middle aged git

Oddometer: 1,682
Might need to fix the thread title.

Like the bikes BTW, thought they were as cool as hell back in '73. Would never be brave enough to own one; good to see others aren't such chickens.

Mike

Why stand when you can sit down..
Why sit when you can lie down..
icekube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
vanislejay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I picked mine up a couple years ago, and I may part with it soon. It was supposed to be my reliable bike to ride while I worked on my other projects, but I seem to spend way too much time keeping it running. Anyways, I have trouble parting with things so I'll probably tough it out another season at least.

Maybe this is a good opportunity to ask a question. I've got an oil leak that shows up by oil dripping off the bottom of my exhaust header, mostly on the left side, but it's all the way across. I just changed my head gasket and valve cover gasket and it's still leaking. The oil is super black when it drips off, but that is probably from burning on it's way across the header.
Does anyone know if the lower header bolts are connected internally inside the head to oil passageways? After the replacement gaskets the head joint is dry, as is the valve cover joint and the top of the header. I have no idea where this oil is coming from. I'm picking up some replacement bolts tomorrow, so hopefully that will stop the leak.

Also I am getting a BMW oil filter adapter machined up very soon, so if anyone wants one let me know and I'll get you a price.

Here's my bike on a camping trip last year:
vanislejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #5
vanislejay
Adventurer

The TX is off the chopping block, once again!

It turns out the lower exhaust header bolts are internally connected to oil passageways. I put in some new bots with heads that weren't too stripped to properly torque them down and the leak stopped! I am pretty stoked to be back on the road.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,080
Old 06-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I've tried to edit the title to 750. It won't let me. Any idea's how to fix it.

Posted to wrong thread.

CalsXS2 screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 07:16 AM
CalsXS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
Pardee
n00b

Oddometer: 9
My '73 has been on the road for 2 years now, a little over 7,000 miles on the odometer.
Sat in a barn for about 20 years.

I've got some tweaking to do on the carbs, and could use some timing adjustment as well, but it's alive.

Going to tear it down this winter, because it seems like the seal behind the points is leaking just a tad. I know there are other items that need addressed as well.

The TX750's can be a bit frustrating at times, but I will never let mine go.
Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
farmrjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Here's my '74. I've upgraded it to Euro specs with the dual disc front brake, oil cooler, and 19 liter tank and converted to the BMW oil filter option. I've also added a BMS seat http://billmayer-saddles.com/ a Ventura rear rack system, and windscreen (which I wish was about 4" taller).
Attached Images

farmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
dm635
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 361
Finally a Purple one that looked like my old beast.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #11
AchyGrappler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22

Here's mine: '73 that I painted in '74 colors. BMW oil filter, deep sump (to be installed), balance chain adjuster and electronic ignition. Got an Argo starter parts kit on the way. It's licensed and insured, but not on the road as I can't get it to shift from second to any higher gear. Looking at rebuilding the engine this upcoming year.
AchyGrappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:34 PM   #12
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,443
Tempted to by one back in the '70's but they had such a bad reputation that I shied away, overheating seemed to be the main problem in Australia, remember something about a balance chain flaw ?
Much the same as the XS650's in looks, motors looks beefier though, lots of body parts interchange with the 650's too
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:09 AM   #13
AchyGrappler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
motors looks beefier though, lots of body parts interchange with the 650's too
Nope, no body panels interchange. I have gad good luck getting small parts off of MikesXS. One of my best buys was an original parts manual off Ebay. Turns out Yamaha used lots of small parts across both lines and having the parts manual lets you know which ones.
AchyGrappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #14
vanislejay
Adventurer

How fast can you folks reliably cruise on your TXs? I was out for a ride last night, it wasn't very hot out, about 20C (70F). I was on the highway cruising at about 70mph for about 45 minutes and I am pretty sure I heat seized as I pull off on an exit. I had pulled the clutch in to shift down and the engine stopped. I didn't try to pop the clutch to restart it just incase. When I rolled to a stop The kick starter felt stiff (but not seized) and it wouldn't start (It's hard to start when it's warm anyways) so I waited about 45 minutes for it to cool down and I got it started again. Cruised home at 60mph and didn't have a problem. I've cruised for hours two up at 60mph without an issue, so did I just have a bad day, or is 70 too much for cruising on this old beast? It will easily do the ton for 5 minutes without complaining when it's been running for a half hour or so, never tried it on a longer ride.

Oh yeah, I don't have an oil cooler but the oil tank didn't feel all that hot, I've felt it hotter when stuck in traffic in the city.
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM   #15
SOS
Ignorance is a gift

Oddometer: 704
1973 TX750 rat bike

I have had mine a few years and dined with it from time to time. Bought it out of a local junk yard. I finally got it plated and insured this morning. So far so good. About 50 miles on the road since who knows when. It is fun to ride torquey and smooth.

Fortunately mine has the factory recall mods.