User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
AlexSonoma OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Value of 1974 R90S

I'm new to ADV, searched past threads but havent found much on this topic. I realize that without pictures, you may not be able to help much but I'm considering a 1974 R90S that is being offered for sale a couple hours from where I live. Unfortunately the owner does not have photos and isnt too computer savvy so I'm not sure he will be able to get photos. I spoke with him on the phone today and he says its a 1974 in almost original condition with ~50k miles. The fairing was damaged and repaired in a lay down in 1975 but everything else on the bike is in good condition. original paint. kickstand is afermarket. I'm not sure of its running condition, apparently its been sitting in his garage for a number of years.

He's asking $4k for the bike. With this limited information, does this seem like it might be worth a couple hour drive for further investigation? Ive not seen many r90s for sale and this seems like a decent price but I'm a total noob when it comes to classic bmws. Just love the way they look. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
AlexSonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
dlcool
Are we lost yet?

Oddometer: 69
R90s

AlexSonoma,

I would want to confirm it is truly an R90S. Get the VIN and confirm it. I found VIN decoder: http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vin/bmw.asp

Check the motorcycle value guides: Kelly Blue Book http://www.kbb.com/othervehicles/ I believe there are others NADA etc.

Caveat emptor! Good luck.

D Cool
Waynesboro, PA
dlcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,236
$10,000
Old 07-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,282
$4000 is a steal for a R90S if it's truly in good shapeand is an actual R90S. Not running for several years is no deal breaker either. I'd check all the fluids for signs of water or rust, but if it's in decent cosmetic shape and isn't far from running then $4k is cheeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeep. Go look at it... and bring us photos.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Dirt_Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Hi Alex you may also want op have a chat with the guys at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/R90SWORLDNET/ Lots of great info and help. PS I've owned a 1976 R90S for over 30 years....
Dirt_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
AlexSonoma OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the input, i've contacted the yahoo group now. seems like a really good place for help. i think i will try to go check out the bike tomorrow, will post pics if i make it over there and the bike is still for sale. sounds like at that price, it could go fast.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
AlexSonoma OP
Adventurer

alright, will hopefully have some pictures this afternoon. if not, then definitely tomorrow morning.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Odinie
Guy Epic.

Oddometer: 234
I saw the ad for it online. It was a little vague, so my guess is the guy doesn't know much. All I can say is be prepared to walk away if it's a basket case. Do your homework on it and don't jump into it blindly because it seems like a good deal.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
AlexSonoma OP
Adventurer

These are the pics that were just posted, not the greatest quality. Any input?

AlexSonoma screwed with this post 07-13-2011 at 03:08 PM Reason: bigger pics
Old 07-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
The pics are inadequate.

What is it that you're looking for? A rider? A project? A collector? For a rider you can find much more than what that appears to be for $4K. For a project, it looks like it might be good start but it may take several thousand to bring it back with smoke paint, etc.
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Do a numbers check, go with cash, make your best bargain and come home with the bike.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
Odinie
Guy Epic.

Oddometer: 234
Honestly you never know. Are you trying to flip it, or do you want a great bike that you'll want to own for the foreseeable future? It may not be worth flipping, but there's still plenty of potential for a good rider at a great price. Realistically,it may need some money put into it after the sale to get it truly up to snuff. Factor that into your decision when you look at the bike.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
50,000 miles you might need;
Steering head bearing
Rings & valve job
Clean & grease swing arm bearings
Clean & grease wheel bearing
New tires & tubes
Clutch
Timing chain
and if the bike has been sitting a long time you will need engine seal, trans seal...
This all depends on how the bike was taken care of. $4 for a 74 R90S is not a bad price and in the pictures I can tell that it still has all of the original 74 only R90S parts.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
AlexSonoma OP
Adventurer

i wouldnt mind having a rider and a project, something i can put money into that isnt going to lose its value over time. i just like the look of the classic bmw bikes and have read a lot of good things about the r90s. mostly, i want a cool classic bike that i can cruise the twisties on, carry my girlfriend on the back, learn how to fix it when it breaks. you guys think this would be a good bike for that? maybe i should start with something else? i'm not new to riding but am new to classic bikes. thats why i posted here, hoping for some good advice which ive gotten so far and appreciate very much.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
RoughReady
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
If that's the bike listed on CL from Fresno with the Bates bags I'd try to make a decision pretty quickly as I don't think it will be on the market long. I'd offer a bit less and see if he goes for it. Good luck.
RoughReady is offline   Reply With Quote