User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2002, 10:40 PM   #1
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,243
Wink Triumphs are such crap!

No matter how I baby my Tiger, it has one catastrophic failure after another. First the frame breaks for no reason at all. Fine. Fix that. Now my clutch has exploded! What do they make these things out of? They are SO fragile! I had to walk out of the woods yesterday( well not too far- Amy was able to meet us with the car where the road got civilized). Just going up a gentle slope and the clutch started slipping and went cachunk and the bike died. Jason and I got it horsed around and pointed down hill and we coasted it back down to the bottom , thru the wash and over the berms to a section of pit run about an eight of a mile below the road, maybe two or three miles up post canyon.
Couldn't find anybody around with a tractor or ATV to pull us back up to the road. Just before sundown, Joel(he uses no last name) stopped by the house and suggested we run back up Post Canyon in his truck to see if we could yard the rig out of the ravine. Armed with a jar of pickles and a short case of beer we took the jimmy up into the mountains. We walked down to the bike and back to the truck a couple of times. The most amazing thing happened-even with all the beer, we decided not to try it! Left the bike up there over night.
Today we took Uncle Blasto's Ural up there and hauled the Triumph almost to the road before we lost traction and had to give up. Ed left me with my bike and went back to his house to get the tractor. Even with the Kubota we spent the whole day at it. We damn near got the tractor stuck! The bikes at home now, sitting in the back of my truck. We pulled the clutch cover and found a bunch of metal fragments. One friction plate is missing; the biggest piece of it we've found so far is a tooth. Don't know if anything else is broken. Probably needs to go to the shop to get the cases split and clean the guts.
I am going to dig a little more. Joel(he uses no last name) and Mike think I can get away with flushing it and slapping a new clutch in. I am not so sure. I will pull the clutch basket, sprocket cover and oil filter to see how much metal I find, but so far it looks like the prudent course will be to tear it down and clean it out.

I will post pictures when I get them developed.
So what I want to know is this:
IS MY TRIUMPH A LEMON?
Old 06-01-2002, 11:08 PM   #2
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
RM...that sucks ass. But I'm really GLAD that it didn't happen in the middle of nowhere on one of your winter adventures!
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 12:34 PM   #3
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally posted by Razorbak
Ditto the fishmeister, dood. Do you carry any flares or other survival/rescue gear with you?
full kit:
tools
jack
compressor
tubes
comealong
chain
shovel/saw/axe
firstaid kit
compass
whistle
flares
tent
alum blanket
canteen
cup/billy
stove
firestarter
maglight
spare knife
cell phone and dc adapter
probably some other crap in there too

Jason was pleased/impressed when I pulled out the flask of cinnamon schnapps and rum

Come to think of it, Jason was the monkey when I broke the frame. Gonna have to put that boy on a program-he needs to lose some weight
Old 06-02-2002, 12:52 PM   #4
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

I am bummed about this on several levels. It may be awhile before I am back on the road. I NEED to ride, every day. Makes be nuts not to.
I definately need to re evaluate how I am using this machine. That is too bad. I really enjoy getting out there on the edge, but I can't afford to put it back together too many more times. Time to slow it down a bit
I have been trying to do this particul;ar trail since last fall. It has always been too sketchy. This time I was thru all the tuff stuff. I was THERE man! And then it busts! Guess I will scratch this one off my to do list:mad:
Last fall Mike and I walked part of the trail. We found skid marks into this wallow and part of a fender drifting across the water's surface...
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2002, 12:54 PM   #5
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

Jason and I attempted the trail last year. We didn't make it very far up the hill. The pic shows where we stuck that time. This time we were way abve this clear up where it flattens a bit, just below the trees...
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2002, 02:13 PM   #6
xrmattaz
sputum is my bread/butter

Oddometer: 3,205
Laugh

Red,

i'd suggest using an XR or DR for your offroad excursions, IMHO.
don't think Triumph, in their triumphedness, expected one to
abuse one of their babies that way (?)

save the Trumpet for the road, man!

I'm just glad you don't own some kinda beemer/hacky thing, you'd probably be hurt at this point.
Attached Images

xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 03:19 PM   #7
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally posted by xrmattaz

I'm just glad you don't own some kinda beemer/hacky thing, you'd probably be hurt at this point.
yeah, well my beemer is a broken carcass in the garage too. go figure:):

I have been thinking about doing a klr/hack, but I probably ought to fix a few things first.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2002, 06:25 PM   #8
fish
Banned

Quote:
Red,

i'd suggest using an XR or DR for your offroad excursions, IMHO.
don't think Triumph, in their triumphedness, expected one to
abuse one of their babies that way (?)

save the Trumpet for the road, man!

Saaaaaay, is that an XR?
Old 06-02-2002, 09:21 PM   #9
xrmattaz
sputum is my bread/butter

Oddometer: 3,205
Bluhduh

FIsh,
you wouldn't know an XR from an RT.

I'm definitevely PUI, butt you're still a bitch.

Aside, have you ever seen a car like dis one??
I'm wonderin' what she is? Any clues?
Attached Images

xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 10:02 PM   #10
fish
Banned

Quote:
FIsh,
you wouldn't know an XR from an RT.

Well it's a good thing you got them 6" high letters on the tank to remind you how to spell it. I took the stickers off my bikes, and now I get really confused.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:52 PM   #11
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Whot you need is something sturdy yet still able to pull a hack.

I would suggest a guzzi 1100 say a quota
Old 06-03-2002, 07:42 PM   #12
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally posted by Chopperman
Whot you need is something sturdy yet still able to pull a hack.

I would suggest a guzzi 1100 say a quota
judging by what I have heard from friends with the Quota, I am better off sticking with the Triumph. The Tiger really is a pretty rugged bike, but I guess there ARE limits...
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2002, 07:45 PM   #13
Chopperman
I am dead

any of them using it to pull a 'car?
I have a feeling it would be well suited for it.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:02 PM   #14
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally posted by Chopperman
any of them using it to pull a 'car?
I have a feeling it would be well suited for it.
I too think a Quota would make a nice sidecar tractor. I don't think I know anyone who has hacked one.

Jay at Dauntless tried to talk me into a Quota, but it really wasn't what I was looking for. Close, but not quite it. There were a couple of people from WetLeather that had Quota's. Guzziphiles,too-they wanted to love them. From what I heard they had nothing but heartaches. Think the bikes were traded off shortly. I don't recall the details.
I went with Triumph cause I want a liquid cooled motor with lots of grunt and a bike with good ground clearance. I had flogged several aircooled(BMW powered, as well as a couple of Chinese BMW copies) hacks to death and hoped liquid cooled engines would hold up to the extremes better. All kidding aside, I love my Triumph. I think it has stood up remarkably well. I feel kinda sick that I pushed too far and fucked it up, but I honestly don't know of a big bore bike that would have done any better.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:10 PM   #15
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Originally posted by RedMenace

I too think a Quota would make a nice sidecar tractor. I don't think I know anyone who has hacked one.

Jay at Dauntless tried to talk me into a Quota, but it really wasn't what I was looking for. Close, but not quite it. There were a couple of people from WetLeather that had Quota's. Guzziphiles,too-they wanted to love them. From what I heard they had nothing but heartaches. Think the bikes were traded off shortly. I don't recall the details.
I went with Triumph cause I want a liquid cooled motor with lots of grunt and a bike with good ground clearance. I had flogged several aircooled(BMW powered, as well as a couple of Chinese BMW copies) hacks to death and hoped liquid cooled engines would hold up to the extremes better. All kidding aside, I love my Triumph. I think it has stood up remarkably well. I feel kinda sick that I pushed too far and fucked it up, but I honestly don't know of a big bore bike that would have done any better.
I'd have to defer to those with actual experience with the quota and I haven't paid a huge amount of attention... but I think that as a solo bike...it ain't much dirt wise. I have a feeling it would be grand as a hack monster. the solo version should have been a 650 twin. would have been a neet alternative to the singles without the weight penalties of the bigger bikes.