Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #16
PukaWai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Excellent tinkering! I have been thinking about some sort of aide like this ever since I got my 1150GSA. I have dropped it numerous times, and it was never easy to pick it up. Always needed to unload the panniers and take off what was strapped on top. I never could get the butt to saddle method to work - I'd just end up sliding the bike sideways, so I'd wind up sort of crouching down and lifting with the upper part of the thigh under the seat. This is always a scary thing to do because I have lower back issues, and always pictured myself lying in the road in agony after trying to lift that pig. Being scared of having to lift it also makes one a poor dirt rider, hence more likely to drop it, a vicious circle.

My first experience trying to lift a BMW was a K1200LT that I had rented for 3 days just to see if that was a bike for me. As I hate sleazy noisy motels next to highways, and am too cheap for expensive noisy hotels next to highways, I usually find some old dirt road going nowhere to follow for a while and then pitch a tent. I successfully navigated that aircraft carrier of a bike down a dirt/sandy road/riverbottom, and then dropped when I stopped! Sat there thinking OMG, what have I done? . after an hour of trying to pick up close to 900 lbs in the sand, I finally hit on the idea of digging a hole in the sand and pushing the front tire into the hole which righted the bike enough to be able to lift it the rest of the way. Then used the bike's reverse gear (?) to back out of the hole.
Decided right there that any motorcycle that needs a reverse gear is not a motorcycle for me!
PukaWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #17
srace7
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Thanks for the idea...

Rob

Thanks for highlighting this...

While we can all right the bike in many situations there will always be circumstances where the usual techniques might not work as you say.

On snow where footing isn't great or, as you say, in circumstances where perhaps one has taken a knock and might not be as strong as some of the hefty types posting here !!

This is where this would be an additional and valuable weapon in the arsenal...

Thanks for suggesting it - I've spoken to Frank and got one of the few remaining on it's way to me.
srace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #18
SocalRob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by srace7
Rob

Thanks for highlighting this...

While we can all right the bike in many situations there will always be circumstances where the usual techniques might not work as you say.

On snow where footing isn't great or, as you say, in circumstances where perhaps one has taken a knock and might not be as strong as some of the hefty types posting here !!

This is where this would be an additional and valuable weapon in the arsenal...

Thanks for suggesting it - I've spoken to Frank and got one of the few remaining on it's way to me.
Thanks. Frank (he's the designer/owner of Snowbuddy) called me up today to thank me for posting this up on Advrider. He said that a RTW rider from England had called him today. Like you say, I think it is a great tool. BTW, it only weighs about 6 lbs or so. Good luck on your upcomming trip.

Frank also says that if there really were to be some interest from the MC world, he could change some things around to lower the cost.

BTW, if you notice the steel bar (its the one with the holes drilled in it) that I added to the kit would also serve a dual purpose (along with some duct tape) of being able to repair/strengthen a bent/broken jack pole in the same way that a tent pole repair sleeve works.

Frank also has instructions on how to use the jack as a come-a-long wench if you have some rope & other parts. For a serious RTW trip that might be a good idea also to be able to extract the bike.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #19
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Oddometer: 7,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob

Frank also has instructions on how to use the jack as a come-a-long wench if you have some rope & other parts. For a serious RTW trip that might be a good idea also to be able to extract the bike.
Out here, freezing our arses off, we all thought (imagined, I guess) that everyone in Cali had one of those...
High Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #20
HORSEMOTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Safety Jack For The Hardcore

thank You Rob For Posting This Potentially Useful Tool. I Ordered One Today And Will Make My Own Evaluation Of The Tool. Ride-on
HORSEMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:25 AM   #21
Tasy's BIGJIM
CornerGrinner

Oddometer: 458
Pissed A Jack to lift up your Bike..Buggerme ?

That's it!!
B.m Riders are Tossers! I'm selling mine. I don't want nothing to do with them? Your Like my Aunty's Frilly Nickers!
What is any Bike doing in SNOW with Road Tyres?
IF YU CAN'T PICK IT UP ..... leave all the Crap at Home!
Also I'm sure a 230kilo Beemer is a lot heavier than a 230kilo K.T.M. (loaded)...Nah...oh..? Are these ar the same people who tell Goldwing Jokes ? ??
I mean Fair Crack of the Sav? You Buy these Bloody Bikes Load them up like a Truck then go off road? Oh the Frame Broke...Oh Its fallen over.... Yeah! A Jack for a Bike it would have to be a "B.M Tosser".
Gees Guys we are spose to be Legends not a GIRLS Blouse...
SHAME ON YOU. Not a Bikers Biscuit! I Hang my Head. Tsk tsk.
I never want to be seen on my Beemer again. ? BIGJim.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #22
3legs
Real men ride sidecars

Oddometer: 1,026
Put a sidecar on it. Problem solved.

3legs
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:18 AM   #23
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasy's BIGJIM
That's it!!
B.m Riders are Tossers! I'm selling mine. I don't want nothing to do with them? Your Like my Aunty's Frilly Nickers!
Also I'm sure a 230kilo Beemer is a lot heavier than a 230kilo K.T.M. (loaded)...Nah...oh..? Are these ar the same people who tell Goldwing Jokes ? ??
I mean Fair Crack of the Sav? You Buy these Bloody Bikes Load them up like a Truck then go off road? Oh the Frame Broke...Oh Its fallen over.... Yeah! A Jack for a Bike it would have to be a "B.M Tosser".
BIGJIM, you are the master of the mixed metaphor!! At least you told him what you thought!! They can be a bastard to pick up though! Seems small, light and compact solution if you feel the need, I carry shit that people say why? well I just do!! Each to their own
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:40 AM   #24
srace7
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
That's it!!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... It is just that some express them coherently and politely without making judgements on others...

As they say "be prepared"... With luck on my round the world trip I won't ever need it... But if I do - it may make life easier.
srace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:02 AM   #25
DOOBIEDOG
Who dares gets a kebab

Oddometer: 253
Old 10-30-2008, 07:14 AM   #26
modestmuscle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I think this is a great idea, I'll be getting one soon

Thanks
Shep
modestmuscle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #27
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
That's it!!
Although I support this notion to a certain extent, if you can't lift it loaded like it is, then don't risk dropping it. However I think this is a brilliant idea even if you are completely able to right your bike.

I had a spill in Baja with my much lighter KTM and as a result dislocated my shoulder. What should have been an easy pick up turned into one of the most painful experiences of my life. So I think this would be like a type of insurance policy. If you embark alone do so in a manner where are not reliant on others in the event of a tip over, however if a situation presents itself, ie injury or conditions, where you are not able to right the bike alone why would you not want this type of help?
Tuff Tunica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #28
SocalRob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,581
Quote:
That's it!!
I think something is lost in the translation, but maybe not. Guys like you really seem to need to have your manhood validated by what/how you ride. Here in the states you would own a Harley. The rest of us aren't so worried about what others think.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro

SocalRob screwed with this post 10-30-2008 at 03:08 PM
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #29
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
Excellent stuff Rob.

To the "others"
Keep it civil, or GB will be on you like wacka mole!
Can't say anything nice, then we have a basement for you to play in

AngryScot
ADV Mod
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #30
beammeup
Guaging racefully

Oddometer: 261
I had been thinking along these lines myself - I may ask for one of these for X-mas. While I generally have no trouble picking up the GSA, I did run into some difficulty on my trip to Wyoming.

I was riding some cow-paths (the GPS was convinced they were roads!) and got into some loose rock on a fairly steep uphill section. I found myself heading off to the side of the two-track, into the thick sagebrush. I over-corrected coming back onto the road and went through the right side track I had been riding and into the middle hump between the two tracks. I hit a large rock that was hidden by the sagebrush in the middle of the trail and took an unplanned dive from the bike.

This was a low speed launch (~15mph) but I cracked a rib on landing. My toes were pointed, however, so I did get straight 8's except for a 6 from the Ukrainian judge.

I was alone and on a steep, loose rock hill. My rib was making it difficult to breath but this was not much of a detriment, as I was just over 8000 ft elevation and there wasn't much air to breath anyhow. It took several tries before I was able to get the GSA 'out of bed'. I was miles from any possible assistance.

This jack would have been a VERY welcomed accesory in this situation. YMMV

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
2011 KLR650
I cannot change the laws of physics....
beammeup is offline   Reply With Quote